X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bulletstopper
    • May 2003

My mouse.....

Alright, im using a logitech mx518 mouse through usb, it works perfect when outside of a game, but as soon as I get in a game the response time is delayed and I cant seem to figure out why. Please help!
    If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe - Carl Sagan
  • industrialism
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Bulletstopper
    Alright, im using a logitech mx518 mouse through usb, it works perfect when outside of a game, but as soon as I get in a game the response time is delayed and I cant seem to figure out why. Please help!
    lmfao usb ftw!1

Comment

• Bulletstopper
      • May 2003

is usb the problem?
      If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe - Carl Sagan

Comment

• industrialism
        • Mar 2004

A few questions first, how many usb ports do you have? - On your pc / laptop - what is it running on?

If the device is linked is it crossing or tangled with any major wires, also do you have any other usb cordless technology linked to your computer, a - keyboard, headphones etc

If you have a usb port on the front of your computer and your using it for the mouse, try the one on the back instead, I had issues with the front usb on my computer for some reason, it may be a unique thing but still, give it a try.

Is the mouse new, second hand?

Have you dropped it?

Have you got any liquids on it or its terminal, very delicate stuff bullet stopper take care of it.

Apart from that at 5:18 in the morning I don’t know what else to say.

Apart from reload the software & try again, and leave you computer spec details so maybe if there is anyone else who had the same problem due to a confliction and can help.

Comment

• Bulletstopper
          • May 2003

I think about 8 usb ports, it isnt crossing major wires, just other usb wires, we have a keyboard a scanner and a printer in the usb ports.

Comment

• Machine
            • Jan 2003

The problem lies between your chair and the keyboard.

For the record, I have that mouse too - so rep++

Some ideas...

+ What game(s) is the choppyness in? All or some? Direct X or OpenGL?

+ Update your MoBo's USB Drivers if it is plugged into a hub or an extension USB (like the front) then switch it so it's directly into the ports your motherboard provides. (EDIT : Indus suggested this, the reason is because the ports on the front may be USB 1.0 and the ones on the back may be USB 2)

+ Do you have USB 2.0?

+ Has this EVER worked? If YES then delete the mouse drivers and software and reinstall them.

+ Check Direct X Drivers up to date.
            ~TuF~

Comment

• necros
              • Apr 2004

MX518... good choice; s'what i have

still, there is no advantage to having a USB mouse...

just use the USB>PS/2 connector you got with the mouse and plug it into PS/2 port...
              Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

• Shug
                • Jan 2003

There are some key differences between usb and ps2, the most drastic being polling speeds but unless you're a hardcore competitive player, you won't notice the difference.
                Nightmaster,
                .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

• Pestcontrol
                  • Apr 2005

USB has much higher data rates, is hooked up directly to the system's southbridge, so no slow ISA/LPC bus or ancient Super I/O controllers, it uses DMA transfers and relatively few interrupts. It's the future and i'd rather see ps/2 (and com and lpt) disappear today than tomorrow, i like all my ports unified.

The latency difference between USB and PS/2 is in the order of microseconds, anyway.

The only USB problems i've ever had were with older VIA chipsets, and it only affected my mouse, not with lag, but with freezes.

Mach: USB 2.0 won't make a difference, mice, keyboards and other HID USB devices run at a 1.5Mbps data rate to allow cheap electronics and cabling to be used. It simply doesn't need more.

You should always make sure your mouse has the entire USB controller for itself to use, just to eliminate other devices as a possible cause, and make sure you use the latest drivers for everything, try PS/2 if you want to, you never know, but i dont think it's the cause of your problem.

I think the reason you're getting mouse lag only in games is because it's somehow taking long for the cpu to create a frame and for your graphics card to render it. Somehow this can happen even if you don't have a low framerate, it's a common problem. Things you can do is turn off vsync and switch to a different renderer, from opengl to d3d or vice versa if it's possible.

Give us a bit more info here, which games exactly, does it happen in all games, when did it start? Etc etc.
                  [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
                  Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

• Bulletstopper
                    • May 2003

Well its a brand spankin new computer, so it shouldn't have cpu problems, ive only played 2 games, day of defeat: source and Hidden-Source. The mouse seems to have problems in both.

Edit: There is no option, to change from open gl to d3d in day of defeat, any ways of going about doing this?

Edit: The mouse has never worked and DX is up to date.

Comment

• Machine
                      • Jan 2003

Do your games run smooth?

Have you tried using hardware cursors?

Turn mouse smoothing off.

Google the game and the "mouse lag" keywords, see if there is anything specific you can do to optimise/fix the problem.
                      ~TuF~

Comment

• Bulletstopper
                        • May 2003

1. Yes

2. What is that?

3. I already did

4. Will do!

Comment

• Ghostly apparition
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by TheMachine
                          The problem lies between your chair and the keyboard.
                          That my friend is commonly referred to as a linkage problem.

Comment

• industrialism
                            • Mar 2004

I hope your have the mouse sensitivity in your game options menu’s on slightly, so you can actually give your mouse room to work/move in, if its off like set to zero - it may not move in game at all, but only on the menu of your desktop, probably something really stupid effecting it BS, I suggest you fiddle with the options of the games your playing, (there mouse options) at least give it 2.0 if its thievery to let it move, I don't have an mx518 so lawl good luck, I know I wouldn't of brought it, more up to date stuff out there.

Comment

• Bulletstopper
                              • May 2003

Ive changed just about everything possible, ive put the settings on low, changed my windows background... EVERYTHING, and its starting to piss me off lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X