Black Cat Forums

Black Cat Forums (http://forums.blackcatgames.com/index.php)
-   Thievery Mapping (http://forums.blackcatgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Thievery Map Editor (http://forums.blackcatgames.com/showthread.php?t=7759)

sky-fiwa- 14th Oct 2005 05:02 PM

Thievery Map Editor

i was trying to get in the Thievery map editor to see if i can make a map, but i had a critical error. The error said:

General Protection Fault!

Histroy: UEditorEngine::Init <- Init Engine

Anyone here have a clue what this is about. What does the Init mean? I've also figured why my connection is screwed up. It's the Router, i don't know whats wrong with it but can anyone give me any advice on my router plz tell me.

Fuzzy Bunny 14th Oct 2005 06:17 PM

It looks like the editor failed to start. I think that's what the "Init" means. For the router, maybe try restoring it's settings to the basic config.

sky-fiwa- 14th Oct 2005 06:19 PM

it's on the basic config but still, i think it broken or something like that

WildBill 14th Oct 2005 06:21 PM

If you want people to help you, you're going to have to provide a lot more details about your setup. "It's broken! Fix it!" will get your thread mostly ignored.

Make a seperate thread in the Tech Help forum about the router, following that same advice.

BiG_D 14th Oct 2005 06:36 PM

Did you install the 451 patch for UT? If you did, no UED for you.

sky-fiwa- 14th Oct 2005 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBill
Make a seperate thread in the Tech Help forum about the router, following that same advice.

This IS the Technical Help place, and your saying put the thread into the Tech Help forum.

sky-fiwa- 14th Oct 2005 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiG_D
Did you install the 451 patch for UT? If you did, no UED for you.

Yes, i did install the 451 patch but what does the patch do to effect the UED?

BiG_D 14th Oct 2005 06:58 PM

It breaks it.

Rythmix 14th Oct 2005 07:56 PM

451 is teh breaker. you will need to reinstall UT to use it.

Radamanthus 14th Oct 2005 08:06 PM

451 if goblin food.

Even if you do reinstall though, the UED goblin hates anything to do with sky or boxes, or meshes, or anything involving UT for that matter. He'll eat your children, and slowly devour your body piece by piece with no utensils but a dull spoon.

Good luck!

Thebos 15th Oct 2005 01:43 AM

Unless you are running a server, you only need the 436 patch.

451 is security fixes. For whatever reason, UED breaks when the patch installs (known issue they are working on)

If you want use UED and run a server, recommend two installs.

Shug 15th Oct 2005 03:11 AM

451b allegeldy fixed the UED problem, but a pile of people reported that it's still broken.

Rythmix 15th Oct 2005 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necros
451b does not fix unreal ed, however if you patch TO 451b from 436, it does not break.

if you have ever been to 451 normal, unreal ed is permenantly screwed

Looks like you have to go directly from 436 to 451b and skip the original 451

Thebos 15th Oct 2005 08:18 AM

That may work, but would check UED functionality before making the switch to 451b.
Quote:

Originally Posted by UTPG.org
There are reports that have been confirmed that UnrealEd still doesn't function after putting 451b on. The fix would be to make a backup copy of UT (just copy your UT folder) and then use that 436 for UnrealEd and the 451 for play/servers. We will be digging further into the UnrealEd bugs and try to get a fix out for it.

Radamanthus 15th Oct 2005 09:32 PM

451b has screwy errors in Unrealed. For example, the Ued goblin eats your memory and CPU usage if you look at something incorrectly (at a bad angle). You have to get the task manager to beat it with a stick to get him to leave.

sky-fiwa- 15th Oct 2005 09:49 PM

i reinstalled UT, then reinstalled Thievery. I just figured out that making maps is confusing if your new to it

necros 16th Oct 2005 09:20 AM

Unreal is very confusing to a newb mapper

Unreal is extremely confusing to a QE mapper

You should google around for Unreal Mapping TUTs
As a note, if you have ever mapped for a Quake Engine, or Source, don't try to apply your knowldge of that into unreal, because you will fail. Compared to those, unreal is completely backwards and twisted. Instead of building the world up from the "void", you have to create a huge block of "everythingness" and subtract what you want to do from the everythingness, also you do this using CSG, rather than simply directly placing brushes as BSP, and have to use staticmeshes to add detail, rather than building that out of BSP also.

If you are serious about mapping, http://www.map-center.com/ may aid you in your endeavours.

Convict 17th Oct 2005 05:57 AM

Yeah I found the HL editor easy to map in - so nice to make maps in with little knowledge. UT editor is hard and I couldn't be bothered.

immortius 17th Oct 2005 07:12 AM

I actually found UEd easier than any of the quake engine editors. I just find it more obvious to carve a space for a room than build 6 walls. *shrug*

Fuzzy Bunny 17th Oct 2005 02:45 PM

I've got a fix for the router problem: buy a new one.:)

Radamanthus 17th Oct 2005 09:01 PM

Yes, prepare to be completely dazed at the terror that is UED. Unfortunately, if you're asking for help on this board, yo'ure off to a horrid start. I mean, there IS a public Wiki link at the top of every page...

DiP 9th Nov 2005 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky-fiwa-
What does the Init mean?

Im sure it means Initialise(as in start)
Meaning that it cant actaully open UED.

Master-Builder 10th Nov 2005 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Convict
Yeah I found the HL editor easy to map in - so nice to make maps in with little knowledge. UT editor is hard and I couldn't be bothered.

Think you might have switched HL and UT around there.

Baz 10th Nov 2005 04:52 PM

UnrealEd is really confusing when you 1st use it. I had no idea how to move actors around. But once i understood the basics of moving things around it all became clear =)
The best thing about unrealed is that its just 1 app. no need to worry about your lighting and bsp programs or whatever

Convict 11th Nov 2005 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master-Builder
Think you might have switched HL and UT around there.

Nope I found HL editor easy to work with (after a few basics were shown by a friend) but I don't understand the UT editor.

Fuzzy Bunny 13th Nov 2005 11:10 PM

Personally, I think the Starcraft editor is easiest editor to use.

DiP 18th Nov 2005 06:35 PM

No way! The Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos Editor is the best!

Gaelwyhn 5th Jun 2011 01:40 AM

But will it help make maps for Thievery, and is it free?

Keggie 5th Jun 2011 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaelwyhn (Post 247419)
But will it help make maps for Thievery, and is it free?

if you have thievery you have the thievery editor, its in start menu next to the thievery button, "thievery unrealed" with the green button, will it help? well you cannot map without it so yeah i guess it does.

http://www.thieveryut.com/Mapping/index.htm for thievery mapping related tutorials.

http://www.birrabrothers.com/drac/index.php?dsps=3 for general unreal mapping tutorials

Gaelwyhn 5th Jun 2011 03:29 PM

Okay. Thanks for the links. But my problem is that I got the game in a zip folder, and didn't install it. I just extracted the folder. Where can I get it to install it?