X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WildBill
    • Jan 2003

Tournament Blacklist

Recent events have made it obvious that there needs to be a form of reprimand and punishment for serious offenses in tournaments. Server bans won't work, since server rules may not always have been broken, and such bans are subject to other considerations and rarely permament.

Hence, anyone who breaks tournament rules, cheats in a tournament, or has serious unbecoming conduct in a tournament shall be placed on this blacklist. I'll keep it updated with names, as well as IP and public CD key information of the offenders.

I would strongly suggest that anyone running a tournament or other organized events in this community not allow blacklisted players to participate. While I can't force this, I think it's evident that players with such destructive behaviour can only be a detriment to organized events.

Blacklisted Players
    None presenty. It would be unfair -- ironic though that is in this case -- to blacklist players for conduct that occured before the creation of this blacklist.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.
  • LaughingRat
    • Jan 2003

Issues of enforcement, you've already addressed - namely that it's voluntary on the part of anyone running a tournament.

However, what criteria are going to be used to put someone on the blacklist? Who's going to decide on those criteria, and who's going to decide when they've been met? Is there going to be a way to get off the blacklist? If so, what are the criteria for to do so?

Leaving aside the issue of whether this is even a good idea (I'll discuss with you privately, if you wish), you'll need good answers to those questions if this is going to work at all.

Comment

• Exo-Warrior
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by LaughingRat
      Issues of enforcement, you've already addressed - namely that it's voluntary on the part of anyone running a tournament.

However, what criteria are going to be used to put someone on the blacklist? Who's going to decide on those criteria, and who's going to decide when they've been met? Is there going to be a way to get off the blacklist? If so, what are the criteria for to do so?

Leaving aside the issue of whether this is even a good idea (I'll discuss with you privately, if you wish), you'll need good answers to those questions if this is going to work at all.
      To get on the list;
      Hmmm, let's see; repeatedly breaking tournament rules, consistent/repeated teamkilling for no point (a point being if someone is stuck), being useless on a team (not showing up for matches, idling, etc.) and mouthing off at other players repeatedly.

That's the criteria I'd use, myself. 1st Rule Break = Warning, 2nd Rule Break = Warning, 3rd = Tempban, 4th = Permaban/Blacklist, or skip the temp and go straight to permanent.

Same for idling - if you stay in a match and don't do anything, or don't try and help your team, then you get warnings, and mouthing off at other players similar, because nobody wants a whiny painintheass spamming chat about someone's behaviour when they're trying to play a serious tournament game.

Comment

• LaughingRat
        • Jan 2003

See, and I'd add some to that list, and disagree with some of the things you've mentioned. Hence, there needs to be some consistent set of criteria that, while everyone may not agree on, is at least accepted.

Comment

• Exo-Warrior
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by LaughingRat
          See, and I'd add some to that list, and disagree with some of the things you've mentioned. Hence, there needs to be some consistent set of criteria that, while everyone may not agree on, is at least accepted.
          Indeed, I doubt everyone would agree with those, but that's life.

Comment

• immortius
            • Jan 2003

To make it simple... You get blacklisted if a tournament organiser blacklists you. So what stops a lame organiser blacklisting everyone? The fact no-one will listen to them.
            Immortius' Forge

Comment

• Swiss Mercenary
              • Jan 2003

A detailed-enough description/link to a thread about the blacklisted person would be nice - let the people hosting the tournaments sort them out from that point on.

Now... To the real important stuff... I vote we blacklist Exo.

Comment

• Exo-Warrior
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
                A detailed-enough description/link to a thread about the blacklisted person would be nice - let the people hosting the tournaments sort them out from that point on.

Now... To the real important stuff... I vote we blacklist Exo.
                Considering I don't even take part IN Thievery Tournaments, let alone have TUT (or UT99) installed, means I don't give a damn!

Comment

• Sandman
                  • Aug 2003

Do I understand this thread right?
                  All ppl who made shit on the TW 3 tournament will get on the blacklist?
                  "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

• LaughingRat
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Sandman
                    Read this again, more carefully:

Originally posted by WildBill
                    Blacklisted Players
                    None presenty. It would be unfair -- ironic though that is in this case -- to blacklist players for conduct that occured before the creation of this blacklist.

Comment

• Citizen Erased
                      • Jul 2003

rephrase that to
                      All ppl who made shit on the TW 3 tournament will get off scott free
                      and you will have a better understanding Sandman.
                      These days I find that I can't be bothered,
                      To argue with them - well what's the point?
                      Better to take you shots and drop down dead.

Comment

• LaughingRat
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Citizen Erased
                        rephrase that to

and you will have a better understanding Sandman.
                        Not really. Their reputations aren't exactly untouched. Besides, the same applies to anyone who's pulled BS in any other formal competition situation, and I don't hear you complaining about that.

Really, retroactive penalties aren't all that productive. Rather like your post.

Comment

• Shug
                          • Jan 2003

I think by "scott-free" he means they got their captain disqualified and lost the competition

oh wait
                          Nightmaster,
                          .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                          - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

• Aggamemnon
                            • Jan 2003

haha

Here is me thinking it was more about the good matches these things brought about.

As for a blacklist, there already is one really, most people know who they do and do not want to play against, most of the tournaments/runners have accounted for that in their own way.

ToD anyone? hehe
                            How TuF are you?
                            League of Legends
                            Bloodbowl by Extensions

Comment

• Sandman
                              • Aug 2003

sry my bad!
                              my english isnt that good...
                              "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Working...
                              X