X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swiss Mercenary
    • Jan 2003

Question:

What are you going to do with creaking doors?

Comment

• Majarisan
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
      Question:

What are you going to do with creaking doors?
      These are tricky... I spit on them, then spend about 45 minutes opening it. The slower the better. I've done this before, and managed get inside a cabin right behind people watching TV. The trick was to slightly nudge the door when the TV made any noise. It took an eternity and was quite risky. The reason I took the risk is they had just started watching Dogma, so I knew I had time on my side. That also provided me with entertainment during the painstaking process of opening the damn thing
      "They say we cleaned out the royal treasury, and took the kings wedding ring off his finger as he slept!" "That must have taken an entire team of our best sneaks." "I heard it was lieutenant Jarvis." "Impossible!"
      -Two unknown CTG probies

Comment

• -=V12US=-
        • Jan 2003

Have fun getting your ass kicked by some guy pretending he's a guard.

Comment

• Fingers
          • Mar 2003

back in the day me and a friend of mine where straight up thieves...
          then we turned 18 he got busted and i realized jail is not cool...

but the feeling of being a true to life thief was captured so well in theif
          i could not put it down and to this day
          i belive no other game will ever top the thief/thievery series..

gotta run....
          Are those my fingers in your pocket...?

Comment

• TED NUGENT
            • Feb 2003

Homeowner >>><<< sneaking fool

This can only end in tragedy.

Never let LaughingRat shave your testicles with a rusty serrated knife.

Comment

• The_Judge
              • Jan 2003

Majarisan, try the catfall+invis combo and when you are in a hurry add a speeder to the combo. There is no need to keep in mind all those complicated things...
              I Need Training!

Comment

• assassin
                • Jan 2003

stairs are easy, so is most creaky floors for that matter you just step in areas that are not normal for ppl to walk on IE, next to walls i go up and down stairs all the time silently
                An open mind is like a fortress, with its gates unbarred and and guarded

Comment

• Stakhanov
                  • Jan 2003

hmmm , it's fun to see amateur thieves sneaking for the hell of it , just like script kiddies hack computers for fun... however RL thievery sounds like an extreme sport :>

Just don't try it at home , kids (and especially not in America... maybe here in France where guns are forbidden)

Comment

• BiG_D
                    Former Forum Staff
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Stakhanov
                    hmmm , it's fun to see amateur thieves sneaking for the hell of it , just like script kiddies hack computers for fun... however RL thievery sounds like an extreme sport :>

Just don't try it at home , kids (and especially not in America... maybe here in France where guns are forbidden)
                    Guns? Who cares? If the person has a fireplace, they most likely have large, heavy, sharp thing to poke the fire with. Its just as bad being beaten to a pulp. (And I broke into a friends house...)
                    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

• !eduDageM
                      • Mar 2003

You people are fucked up man!
                      I'm cool!

Comment

• Kiech Bepho
                        • Jan 2003

Hmm. I propose a new Thief item:

The Ghillie suit.

When crouched, it makes you completely invisible despite the amount of visibility in the area.

If its a permenant item, then it takes 10 seconds to put on, and you are also visible 10 seconds after you stop moving. This negates the shadow invisibility.

If its a temporary item, then it works right away, but is discarded after you start moving.

Kiech
                        Kiech

Comment

• CrouchingDork
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
                          Hmm. I propose a new Thief item:

The Ghillie suit.

When crouched, it makes you completely invisible despite the amount of visibility in the area.

If its a permenant item, then it takes 10 seconds to put on, and you are also visible 10 seconds after you stop moving. This negates the shadow invisibility.

If its a temporary item, then it works right away, but is discarded after you start moving.

Kiech
                          www.thecrackaz.com
                          Too much power for thieves.
                          The only constant is change.
                          (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

• Majarisan
                            • Jan 2003

Lesson 2:

Stealth is more about psycology than it is about your ability to hide and move silently. When ever you must sneak past someone, watch them from a distance. Watch what they're aware of and what their habits are. Now lets say you must get past a paranoid person who is looking around for someone who might be sneaking up. As many of you have graciously demonstrated for me in this very thread... people generally believe it impossible to sneak up completely in the open. People like this carefully scrutinize the heavy brush and dark wooded areas and only give a passing glance to the open field infront of them. In their mind no one could possibly sneak up on them from there. So if your properly camoflauged (see lesson 1) you can belly crawl at a painfully slow rate right up on the person. The trick is pay attention to the contour of the land. Very few natural fields are perfectly flat, and even some lawns have some minor dips and rolls. Try to move in valleys of the land and never be caught on a crest. Carefully watch the person you are stalking and never move when they are directly facing you. This is a very slow process and is not for the hastey or faint of heart. Just for the sake of arguement.... unless the field is overgrown, a ghillie suit would have more trouble accomplishing this. Its too big and bulky, and the person might be suspicious if they realize that big bulky bush like mass keeps getting closer every few minutes.

If your dealing with people who aren't alert or paranoid, particularly if they are near their home where they feel safe, its amazing what you can get away with. Earlier in this thread a related a story where I made it into a cabin through their creaky front door, well when I was about to approach this cabin I was faced with two options. I could go around the cabin through the woods and come up behind it, which is the obvious route. Or I could advance up a small hill infront of the cabin which was well lit by a flood light. I chose the front as the woods had many dead leaves on the ground that would make too much noise. When planning my approach I observed the front porch, it streched the entire front length of the cabin and the stairs down were on the right side. So I moved up the left side of the hill. I knew that if anyone came out the wouldn't be able to see me, as the railing obscured their view of the hill unless they came right up to the railing and looked down. I also knew that they'd probably imediatly face to the right (away from me) as thats where the stairs were. As a moved up the hill, walking upright as belly crawling wouldn't conceal me in that light, sure enough someone came out on the porch. As I predicted they didn't have a clear view of me thanx to the railing and they faced to the right. The man had boots on and I used the noise of his heavy foot falls as he moved away from me to slip up to the left of the cabin to the shadows.

People are in their deepest ruts where they are the most comfortable. Use this against people. Regardless of where people are, everyone has what is called 'dead space'. Its places that they don't believe someone could be hidden from them. So if the look there they 'look but they don't see'. The spot on the hill infront of the cabin was that mans dead space. He could have seen me through the raling if he'd have looked hard enough. Infact his glance did stray in my direction but he never saw me there. Thats one of the taffers greatest secret weapons. Use peoples minds and beliefs against them.

:grin:
                            "They say we cleaned out the royal treasury, and took the kings wedding ring off his finger as he slept!" "That must have taken an entire team of our best sneaks." "I heard it was lieutenant Jarvis." "Impossible!"
                            -Two unknown CTG probies

Comment

• LaughingRat
                              • Jan 2003

As long as we're on the psychology of getting into where you're not supposed to be, sometimes the best way to get somewhere IS in plain sight. You just act, with complete confidence, like you belong there. Don't avoid the gazes of people there, meet their eyes, acknowledge them, say "Hi" even. It's amazing where you can go, if you don't give any indication that you're not supposed to be there.

Comment

• CrouchingDork
                                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                                As long as we're on the psychology of getting into where you're not supposed to be, sometimes the best way to get somewhere IS in plain sight. You just act, with complete confidence, like you belong there. Don't avoid the gazes of people there, meet their eyes, acknowledge them, say "Hi" even. It's amazing where you can go, if you don't give any indication that you're not supposed to be there.
                                So true.

Heh.
                                The only constant is change.
                                (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Working...
                                X