Does every mapper want to leave TUT after realising his map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WTaFa
    Banned
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Keggie View Post
    Originally posted by WTaFa View Post
    Probably these mappers ignored all oRGy's mapping tips?
    just because you follow tips doesnt mean a map is going to be liked by all and played often. ... its not a case of following tips or how things look, its all about gameplay and sometimes some maps just work better then others. thievery doesnt really have much fan made content and alot of the fan made maps just dont have that "thing" that makes them likeable enough. not even all the offical ones does, some just work better then others.
    It's depends what tips you're talking about. I didn't expect that except oRGy's tips I can use as example only KewlAzMe's tips.

Originally posted by -KewlAzMe- View Post
    The original TUT maps have a flow. Take a map like Th-Theatre for example. Start in the lobby and work your way through to the back room where the table and lift is. Notice that you passed through the entire map in one straight shot. Also notice there were not a lot of small rooms to hide in, instead big open areas with some basic chokepoints, but not to a point that they would affect you. Also note the loot is in publicly walked areas. Another good one, aside from the entry choke points, is TH-Breakout. Upstairs has large rooms.. the offices, the library, the huge hallways. Plenty of viewable space from one location, but plenty of shadows along the way. There are only 4 rooms that really count and they are headed off easily by a choke point at the start of the hall way, plus the rooms are totally bright, so the goal is to get in and get out....

Now take a map like Th-Breandor or Th-Payback. Yes these are amazing maps.. super detailed, huge, great layouts... But too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Block out the amazing details for a second and think of all the rooms inside the main house. Each of which is loaded with dark shadows to hide in. Now, you are a guard with 3 flares. You have 20 rooms to scan, and for every 4-5 rooms you need to goto a completely different section of the house. Impossible. So you spend most of your time waiting in the Objective room, only to find that it wasn't hard for people to figure an easy way in and out of that room. And once they got the objective on that map.. its already over.

A few design tips people should really be following when creating multiplayer maps is (IMHO of course):
    • Continuity - Keep rooms merging together, dont have a bunch of side rooms with one way in and one way out, unless you keep it down to 2 or 3 like DarkenedEnlightenment does. In Maps like Theatre, asylum, and nostalgia, all rooms lead to another room.
    • Guard balance - The spawn in Theatre, the city in Nostalgia.. those are great and heavily shadowed for a reason... and thats fine. Notice there is no loot in that area any way so there is no need for guards to go there. But the majority of loot is in well lit, with scattered shadows around the area, to keep thieves alert and on their toes, yet giving guards a chance.
    • Multiple Large loot areas - No way can a few guards (especially in these days 2 vs 2) are going to be able to guard all the loot, so notice maps like nostalgia have heavy loot areas like the Antique room, the main gallery, and the lyre. This gives guards a chance.
    • notice the "good" loot or objective is well lit normally. Or has extra protection like a watcher. Often there maybe areas that are too bright, but have torches. Giving both teams a potential advantage at different times.
    • Open areas. Nothing like a good chase, or a good escape. Asylum Reception area has nice wide openings, Theatre has a nice wide theatre, Gerome has the nice open internal terrace, Folly has large halls and ballrooms.. these are also beneficial for seeing large areas. Standing on upper balconies to look down over a large area. Its hard to guard small halls with lots of turns, rooms, and shadows.
    • Random object spawning - Loot and objectives should always spawn randomly to add change and variation

These are just some of good mapping practices IMO for TUT. Open to elaboration and additions of course. Its just a similarity I find with the original maps. City museum, although rather large, tends to fall right on the line between too big and just right. highway inn (i think thats the one with the safe in the basement) most resembles the layout of the original maps and it tends to be popular these days among the masses.

2. People fear change and love the originals they grew good with.
    Last edited by WTaFa; 1 Mar 2012, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• FixXxeR
      • Jan 2003

Well KAM was found to be a cheat back in the day so I wouldn't go off his tips, ha!
      -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
      - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
      - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
      -YT

Comment

• WTaFa
        Banned
        • Sep 2010

Ironically that cheater contributed to community useful tips while not cheaters didn't.

Comment

• FatRatHead
          • Sep 2004

Ironically, non-cheaters were playing and keeping the game alive while KAM was banned and not doing the same, very beneficial activity. Yes, KAM wrote a few sentences for you to fap on, but it never aided anyone in mapping and it never will. Unless you are planning to start your own map. That means that whatever he produced above was completely useless.

Comment

• WTaFa
            Banned
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by FatRatHead View Post
            ...but it never aided anyone in mapping and it never will...
            May I ask about reasons of your statement? At least I find something that could be more useful then just be a lucky mapper. Seems that you agreed with his tips but strongly dislike owner of tips.
            Originally posted by FatRatHead View Post
            ...non-cheaters were playing and keeping the game alive...
            You're saying that fair players didn't contribute much to TuT mapping theory, right? Thanx, I got that.

Comment

• FixXxeR
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Wtfsgsagge3wadf03fjkoai
              Ironically that cheater contributed to community useful tips while not cheaters didn't.
              If by contribute you mean peck at everyones heads until everyone stopped caring then yes you are right. Ironically this is a similar situation you are in now.
              -YT

Comment

• BrokenArts
                Former Forum Staff
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by WTaFa View Post
                Wow, that's a very bold and way off base statement there. WTF makes you think that? You are really getting on peoples nerves by digging up this shit.

After all the threads you've read, and you come to that conculsion....

He's taking a break for a week. I've had enough.

Comment

• FatRatHead
                  • Sep 2004

I owe you a nice, chilled glass of buttermilk BA.

Comment

• BrokenArts
                    Former Forum Staff
                    • Jan 2003

I'll take a rum and coke? I let this go because I wanted to see how far this would go. It did get people talking, nothing wrong with that. This forum is quiet enough.

WTaFa, you need to chill and relax, you are too much sometimes. People don't mind helping you, but, its the way you go about it. Almost to the point of being a pest, digging up old stuff that doesn't matter anymore.

If you have a question, all you have to do is ask, not go off like you do sometimes.

Your last statement was bullshit, sorry it was. Saying KAM was the only one that helped? That offered any sort of meaningful information? Really? People here lately have tried to help you, and you totally blew that off.

After all those threads you dug up, and you came to that conclusion. You're done. My patience with you, I don't have any anymore. One more stupid remark like that. You'll get a longer ban.

Comment

• FixXxeR
                      • Jan 2003

KAM contributed to the community, but if that was a positive contribution is another matter.

WTaFa when you are posting on a forum be prepared to hear other peoples opinions that may not align with your own.

Also don't send me private messages then set your profile to not receive private messages so I can't respond to it.
                      -YT

Comment

• Schleicher
                        • Jun 2003

FYI there was a mapping wiki started by orgy once which had alot more (and substantial) stuff than that.

Went away quite fast tho, prolly couldnt pay the bill >:p
                        My leet Thievery Map
                        My leet UT3 Map
                        My leet AS Map

Comment

• mcfarrel
                          • Apr 2005

Sometimes real life problems just do the ugly trick... By the way still playing Thievery guys?
                          Mappers do thier hard work for other people (game players namely), but if none of these other people give them feedback, there is no power to do what have to be done.

Be kind to Your mappers because they are doing it for You and give them hope...

Comment

• FatRatHead
                            • Sep 2004

I believe we are, it's just getting rarer and rarer.

Comment

• Thebos
                              • Jan 2003

And how many years have people been saying that?
                              Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                              Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

• Shug
                                • Jan 2003

Approximately 7 years
                                Nightmaster,
                                .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                                - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Working...
                                X