View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2016, 12:20 AM   #108
Spidey

I got Thief almost as soon as it came out but my new computer doesnt have an actual video card so the gameplay is really slow. I set it aside for months and now I'm slowly working my way through it now that I set the difficulty to Rogue (NOOB).

It bugs me that they didnt use Stephen Russel's voice and I don't quite buy their excuse that they already shot motion capture with the guy from Assassin's Creed and would have difficulty matching the lips. I'm sorry...disbelieve.

There are areas I've actually run into an invisible wall (the windmill area near Erin's hideout) and stuff you can't jump on that felt pretty amateur to me. I guess sacrifices were made to make it multi-platform but some of those warts really took me out of the game to shout obscenities like WTF? at the screen. One of the things I liked about the older Thief games was the freedom to explore your environment. Yes, the people had bad cases of polygon head but I didnt feel so railroaded along a set path of taffing in a narrowly defined line.

The graphics are great....visually a great improvement for a game that needed an update. The optional side jobs are nice as well...kinda Skyrim like in that you can distract yourself with multiple side quests. I do like that they clearly map out where you go to advance the story. The older Thief games had a clearly defined mission for each level with maybe 1 or 2 options.

I'm probably the only one that likes this but the reading along the way amuses me. I enjoy snooping into the concerns of the nobility or watching them flex in front of guards saying "I've been to the DOCKS!" Do you even lift, bro?

I miss the Pagans most of all, Benny, and deadly hissing spiders.

Overall I like it, they managed to startle the crap out of me in certain areas. Speaking as someone who worked graveyard shift as a security guard, I consider that fairly hard to do.

I had kinda hoped they would make this a multiplayer game. 4 incarnations of Thief now and all of them single player.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote