X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reemulmyu
    • Jul 2004

i just baked my failed 8800gt

after much research online and youtube today i baked my 8800gt in the oven to try and fix a dry joint ,im glad to say it worked as per videos on youtube ,is now back in my pc and works perfectly
    also known as mega ,On the internet, everyone can hear you scream - it's just that no-one cares.except moses{also been known to use rapidfire}was also here before fuzzy and moses
  • Chainsaws
    • Jan 2003

Just make sure to spit out the bits of lead from the cookies!
    One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -
    The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

• Asaltec..SaitoNai
      • Aug 2003

I would be interested in knowing how you knew you had a dry joint or located it on the card, it sounds like it would difficult to find on a densely populated board. I assume the oven was just to heat the thing back up until the solder reflowed.
      Last edited by Asaltec..SaitoNai; 28 Mar 2011, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• Chainsaws
        • Jan 2003

I'd guess it was a last ditch attempt or it's a common problem on that card. What temperature did you cook it at?
        -

Comment

• reemulmyu
          • Jul 2004

200 c for ten minutes as per video on yuotube, as for how i knew , it had artifacts all over the screen all the websites i looked on said it was likely a dry joint and as i didnt have any recourse with bfg ,i tried it and it worked ,try you tube for your gpu card it is most interesting .
          also known as mega ,On the internet, everyone can hear you scream - it's just that no-one cares.except moses{also been known to use rapidfire}was also here before fuzzy and moses

Comment

• Moses2k
            • Oct 2004

Did you stick a fork in it to tell that is was done?

Comment

• Keggie
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by reemulmyu View Post
              after much research online and youtube today i baked my 8800gt in the oven to try and fix a dry joint ,im glad to say it worked as per videos on youtube ,is now back in my pc and works perfectly
              does that actualy work?? i thought it was just people taking the piss.. i have a 8800 that nolonger runs properly.. might try this its been sitting in my spares box for ages cus i hate throwing away old pc stuff :/

Originally posted by Moses2k View Post
              Did you stick a fork in it to tell that is was done?
              he use'd a cake tester, not a fork
              [E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
              Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
              AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
              Videos - YouTube

Comment

• Chainsaws
                • Jan 2003

If solder on the board had cracked, heating it so it softened would cause it to bond together but heating it too much would cause it to run which would probably short out some of the circuits and ruin your board. If you're board is otherwise useful it seems it's definitely worth a go as a last resort.
                -

Comment

• Keggie
                  • Aug 2005

yeah i was reading up on it.. i got an 8800 that doesn't run properly and a 7900 that is also screwed.. the 8800 wont load fullscreen programs, and the 7900 just does weird stuff lol, like in thievery it stretches textures, makes the crossbow 7 times the size, just stretched out.. odd
                  [E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
                  Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
                  AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
                  Videos - YouTube

Comment

• reemulmyu
                    • Jul 2004

keggie. you need to research your cards problem to make sure it falls into this area for baking ,maybe a bios update on your cards ,first make a note of what is wrong ,syptoms of problem ,then google it to see what other people have done to fix them .as for moses ,i used a standard baking tray with foil shiny side down 2 balls of foil to keep card level then into oven for ten mins at 200 c

Comment

• Moses2k
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by reemulmyu View Post
                      .as for moses ,i used a standard baking tray with foil shiny side down 2 balls of foil to keep card level then into oven for ten mins at 200 c
                      What did you end up frosting it with?

Comment

Working...
                      X