X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PhaeThorn
    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by WildBill
    Traditional blocking of the elevator is easy to counter. If the thieves are careless enough to allow the guards access to the top of the elevator, that's their tough luck.
    * edit *

I see you editted your post now. But still read through my post

It seems to me that you're not really understanding the problem. Correct me if i'm wrong though. While normal blocking ( making the elevator bump up again ) is indeed quite easy to counter, this is a different situation.

The guards, sitting in the top hole on the side, was blocking the elevator from coming down. It is too high to shoot the guards, arrows will come down again. There is also no way of going up, except with the elevator. So basicly there is no counter for that as you mentioned above. Sure, there may be some things that prevents the guards from going up in the first place, I don't know that at this time. But once they're in place it is NOT counterable.

As said, correct me if I'm wrong but I think you misunderstood it if you say there is a counter for the block. This is no mere chokepoint, it's breaking the map completely. It's like stealing the exits away from the thieves so they can't get out even if they wanted to.
    On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

• WildBill
      • Jan 2003

The issue is that the guards can currently use the lower elevator button to get up to that blocking position on their own. That will be fixed. Guards will still be able to block there if the thieves are careless, but that's their own fault then.

I didn't realize you'd responded when I edited that -- thought I caught it before anyone read it. ^_^
      Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

• PhaeThorn
        • Jan 2003

The issue is that the guards can currently use the lower elevator button to get up to that blocking position on their own. That will be fixed. Guards will still be able to block there if the thieves are careless, but that's their own fault then.
        Alright, you've heard my opinion and I heard yours. You're the one with the final voice in the tournament here so we'll leave it at this.

One last thing though, I think you'll have to ask the mockers how they got that elevator up to be certain it will be fixed in 1.5. No normal firebolts + mine/whistler can get them to use the button with the the server patch installed. There is another way they could have gotten that elevator up though. If that way is possible ( It still needs some testing ) then the problem can NOT be fixed by fixing the buttons. I'll contact you about this other way later
        On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

• WildBill
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by PhaeThorn
          Alright, you've heard my opinion and I heard yours. You're the one with the final voice in the tournament here so we'll leave it at this.
          Thanks. I'd like it if the Mockers wouldn't use this since it takes the fun out of the matches, but I said anything goes and won't go back on that.

Originally posted by PhaeThorn
          One last thing though, I think you'll have to ask the mockers how they got that elevator up to be certain it will be fixed in 1.5. No normal firebolts + mine/whistler can get them to use the button with the the server patch installed. There is another way they could have gotten that elevator up though. If that way is possible ( It still needs some testing ) then the problem can NOT be fixed by fixing the buttons. I'll contact you about this other way later
          I haven't had a chance to test any of the changes since the initial 1.4 release, so I don't know how it currently works. I had some ideas, but it looks as if they might have already been fixed. Send Dalai your ideas -- he's the one who knows how it works in the end, not me.
          Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

• WildBill
            • Jan 2003

Okay, we've got it figured out. Should be fixed in Thievery 1.5.

Even as it currently stands, though, it's not a guaranteed win.

Comment

• Machine
              • Jan 2003

Even as it currently stands, though, it's not a guaranteed win.
              If the single counter to this trick isn't used right at the start of the map, then it is a guaranteed win. Glad to hear it's being fixed.
              ~TuF~

Comment

• WildBill
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by TheMachine
                If the single counter to this trick isn't used right at the start of the map, then it is a guaranteed win. Glad to hear it's being fixed.
                Then use that right at the start of the map -- it's only hard the first time.

Comment

• TafferBoy
                  • Mar 2003

I agree that the tactic is almost uncounterable, but the ingenuity of discovering such a 'lame' tactic and the relative skill involved in its execution isn't something that all teams could've come up with. We did debate about whether we should use it or not, and we figured that we were within our rights under the rules, although we obviously expected changes to the rules or the map because of it. And to be perfectly honest, we didn't want to use it unless we felt pressed.

I don't want the issue to put a damper on the efforts of Louie, Shug and Rodez; our guards perform extremely well in that round and the Mutant's efforts to DM failed so it never looked like coming down to a 'win by time' situation anyway, the practical effect on the match was the remove the option of the objectvies win, only after did the mutants realise that a DM win would've been also impossible, barring a sportsmanlike swan-dive into the abyss.

As for how we got the vator up, i would prefer to PM the method to Bill if he is interested than post it on the forums. For obvious reasons.

The other problem with the lift, being unslashable while riding it up, is confined to players of moderate to high ping. I've been slashed on the lift before by AI (who have sub-100 ping) and players with sub-100 pings. I believe it is a online issue not a map issue and could only be solved by slowing the lift down.

On a final note, imo 'game-breaking' tactics will have to be discussed on a case by case basis. Rather than adding a rule which simply says no 'game-breaking' tactics, because this might lead to many allegations and so on with regards to a whole range of exploits and tactics.
                  .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

• The MaW
                    • Feb 2003

I'd just like to say........Gladius I love your sig! Funny as feck!
                    All americans suck donkey balls except for you!

Comment

• Shug
                      • Jan 2003

While the tactic was slightly "lame", as Bill said, only the people on our team realized what exactly happened and how difficult it was. No less than three different manoeuvres were pulled, each with huge margin for error (especially for the man blocking off the lift itself) and failure would have resulted in death. Restarting the process would have been time consuming and cost potentially more lives. High risk, high reward. We deliberately held off until the third round before doing it - we wanted good matches too - but we've been done before by unforseen strats and decided we would hold aqua at all costs.

I honestly believe the only reason nobody has ever used a game-breaker strat before is because nobody has ever been able to do it.

We'll agree to NOT using this again in future matches on aqua, for the sake of the tournament.
                      Nightmaster,
                      .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                      - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

• Machine
                        • Jan 2003

The ability to get the lift up int he first place has been discovered, me and phae worked on it tonight, so we'll be sure to distribute the idea to every tom dick and harry we find. Getting up is VERY easy.

We'll be using this on the publics to SHOW that Aqua is broken, people may well use the counter, which as long as there is a theif dedicated to it, and that theif is VERY lucky then the guards can be hindered at best. High risk? with 2 guards, this is simple to execute, you've been playing long enough to place yourself on the edge of a cliff. The other guard just presses a button! The first action is again, simple, you can aim can't you?

To be frank, we've crossed the border for exploits now, I had 5 great high quality games this morning, and the last one smacked of desperation, Mutants didn't DM because we knew what you'd done, we didn't clear everyone out because we KNEW is was futile, you know we could have done because we did it before.

The last game, wasn't played, we've crossed into this doing things to win, not PLAYING to win, because the exploit requires no playing, your not besting anyone in thievery, your sat on your ass in a hole.

I was more dissapointed than anything, the exploit was known, and you said yourself you knew of the consequences.

A week from now you'll have people crying out loud on this map, it'll become like breakout and nobody will play it. The fix is allready done I believe Phae did one this evening.

As far as the tourny goes, it appears you have your map, and well played on spider and the first 2 Aquas.
                        Last edited by Machine; 27 Mar 2005, 06:48 PM.
                        ~TuF~

Comment

• WildBill
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Shug
                          I honestly believe the only reason nobody has ever used a game-breaker strat before is because nobody has ever been able to do it.
                          This is hardly a game breaking strategy -- it's easily countered with anticipation. If you'd pulled this the first round I'm fairly confident they'd have prevented it in the following rounds.

Originally posted by Shug
                          We'll agree to NOT using this again in future matches on aqua, for the sake of the tournament.
                          While I appreciate that, realize that you're under to obligation to do so.

We'll be using this on the publics to SHOW that Aqua is broken, people may well use the counter, which as long as there is a theif dedicated to it, and that theif is VERY lucky then the guards can be hindered at best.
                          A week from now you'll have people crying out loud on this map, it'll become like breakout and nobody will play it. The fix is allready done.
                          Machine, that's beneath you. You know that it's broken, and that public servers in no way compare to tournament play. The fix is already done and will be in Thievery 1.5, as you well know. If you insist on raging like this, I'll ban you myself.

Comment

• Machine
                            • Jan 2003

This is hardly a game breaking strategy
                            Machine, that's beneath you. You know that it's broken
                            Which one is it Bill? I argue, not rage. I'll not provoke without a reason.

I doubt we will show everyone, the consequences would be dire beyond belief, taking Aquatone out the cycle completely because of it. I guess I just got a big swig of bitterness there, not entirely agreeing with the overall verdict on things n stuff. But, the show continues opinions are known now.
                            ~TuF~

Comment

• WildBill
                              • Jan 2003

Which one is it Bill? I argue, not rage. I'll not provoke without a reason.
                              It's not game breaking in iterative competitive tournament play with organized teams. On public servers, it's essentially raging.

I doubt we will show everyone, the consequences would be dire beyond belief, taking Aquatone out the cycle completely because of it. I guess I just got a big swig of bitterness there, not entirely agreeing with the overall verdict on things n stuff. But, the show continues opinions are known now.
                              I can see that you're bitter, and understand even though I don't agree. Don't take this out on unrelated innocent players, though, or you will be banned.

Comment

• Machine
                                • Jan 2003

So your saying that using this is a bannable offence on public servers? (Or on whatever server you have power over? is that Crackaz?)

-edit : convo over. spoke with bill, IM if discussion required. -
                                Last edited by Machine; 27 Mar 2005, 07:14 PM.
                                ~TuF~

Comment

Working...
                                X