Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NeuroFunkeR
    • Jan 2010

I hope, after thief "reincornation", which to me is rather fail then success, will make people curious, what else could they play, which isn't looking neccesary worse then thief 4, but is more "thiefish" so to say. The dark mod is around the corner, and i hope, people be able to find it.
    Tbh. i wasn't that much fan of dark mod, with all respect, people spend working on it for free, and in their free time, it also lacked on athmosphere to me. But after thief 4 is here, i can clearly say - dark mod, is the new thief to me, especially it is standalone now, and doesn' require doom at all.

I also wasn't suprized, new thief is somewhat far away from originals, i already knew it, but what i hoped is, it will be a good game, fun to play through, which in my opinion is not the case. I heard, someone was working on a coop mod for dark mod, well, see you there soon then

Comment

• Keggie
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by NeuroFunkeR View Post
      but so far, this is the only mission, i had some slight flashback to previous series.
      Just wait till you see the cradle clone..

overall i like it.. but i was always going to.. there are several areas it needs improvment on.. the world feels small, the story is.. average, some rather linear maps/sections.. but the actualy stealth gameplay works well.. if you havnt played a previous thief game i think you would like thief 4, but it does lack somthing when compared to the originals.. I have 15 hours on it so far which is a dam sight more then other games and i still have 2 missions left and a load of side missions..

overall i like, but could be improved, there are several small anoying things too that could of been fixed really easy but..
      [E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
      Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
      AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
      Videos - YouTube

Comment

• Antero90
        • Jan 2003

I supose aproaching it with a "Thief TDP never happened" helps. But im still burnt from that amazing fiasco that was Ultima IX, after that I never bothered too much about sequels failing, I just know in my heart they will fail.
        Feel the power of the

Comment

• Trapmaster
          • Dec 2007

The gameplay and mechanics of Thief4 are actually fine and I am surprised that people rather bemoan that. What bothers me more is the story/universe. So this is kind of a reboot... or not?

Thief4 takes place 400 years after the old games, and this is a second garret (yup it really is!*) (including a second basso). Garret is a nobody and not the master thief anymore. And the sheer cloning/copying of previously successful levels, places, structures and characters of the old thief games. (i.e. Angelwatch and the Cradle).

I wished for they would make it more clear weather or not it should be a reboot. Halfly done business does not please anybody. Either make it a 100% reboot or a 100% sequel, but not a mix where nobody keeps puzzling about what it is.

One cool idea however would be using the eye in a later sequel, let's say, Thief6, to merge the two worlds / time periods together .
          Just hope for they don't go for the assassins creed approach.

Other than that, it is a well made, solid and decent game.

Btw, it definitely is alfonso. (A pun to Th-Grange?)

*There are notes about that the old garret died in the insane asylum. Oh, and the Thief 1-3 city now is the "lost city" below the actual city (and below that lies the 'real' lost city). ...Seriously?
          [E.D.G] Trapmaster - Doomsayer
          Brush scaling by 0.5325662468842 and still going

Comment

• Antero90
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Trapmaster View Post
            Thief4 takes place 400 years after the old game
            I noticed this too, around the end of Lockdown two guards are chatting about the war, the fires and how all that stuff happened "before the Baron was born". I guess they could not make uo their minds and went for a neutral route.
            Feel the power of the

Comment

• Keggie
              • Aug 2005

The gameplay and mechanics of Thief4 are actually fine and I am surprised that people rather bemoan that. What bothers me more is the story/universe. So this is kind of a reboot... or not?
              one of the things that's bugging me is the lack of pagans and hammers, its not the fact that they removed them, its more the fact there is nothing to replace them. you only sneak past watchmen, you do bump into others closer to the end, but there still watchmen in a way, i'd rather there were pagan/hammer sections of the city just to see some varaity, because atm its watchmen with sword, watchmen with bow.. just lacks that somthing extra.. the fact they do not climb either makes escaping a little too easy.. (the game is allready to easy, play as Master Difficulty at the least or you will get bored)

As alex said the combat is.. limited, but i rather like that.. the game is trying to push you toward's stealth which i like, its also got the balance about right, 1v1 you can win, 1v2 you can win if your clever, 1v3 and you will struggle alot. No sword too

and yeah.. the universe is a little messed up, am not sure if its suposed to be reboot and sequeal, am hoping the end of the game gives some reason why its half/half
              Videos - YouTube

Comment

• NeuroFunkeR
                • Jan 2010

I heard, they almost done it, then redone everything nearly from scratch. I wonder, how the game was, before it was reworked.

Comment

• Trapmaster
                  • Dec 2007

I don't mind pagans and hammerites being gone, I mind more the cheap try to copy/clone the factions in the game. (Citywatch? The baron stands for progress? Where :O? That new pagan faction does not appear until chapter 6 and so on.)

I can understand why you do not like the game alex, and I start to see this aswell. The game starts with tension and is exciting, but this excitement vanishes quickly in about half the game. The story does not get exciting at any point of the game. In the old games it was a driving motivation to get on.

Besides, my estimation is the game will be a success. And why not? The 'damage' to the franchise has been done, independently off the success or potential sequels. It happend to movie franchises and happens to game franchises aswell.
                  Last edited by Trapmaster; 7 Mar 2014, 09:56 AM. Reason: comma...

Comment

• BrokenArts
                    Former Forum Staff
                    • Jan 2003

I'm guessing that was the Thief reboot.

Comment

• Trapmaster
                      • Dec 2007

A reboot wouldn't have a second garret tho .

Comment

• Antero90
                        • Jan 2003

Besides, my estimation is the game will be a success. And why not? The 'damage' to the franchise has been done, independently off the success or potential sequels. It happend to movie franchises and happens to game franchises aswell.
                        Yeah, I guess sometimes the path to sucess does not go paralel to good product. My avatar is another good example, tho the band did redeem itself after that with Duke.
                        Feel the power of the

Comment

• Moses2k
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by NeuroFunkeR View Post
                          If you have ever disliked thief 3, it's time you say, that was not a bad game at all, after playing thief 4 for a bit.

Frustrating athmosphere, where i feel not a single bit of it. Thief 3 had quite a nice athmosphere, not to mention FANTASTIC thief 3 score by Eric Brosius, and interresting sound design. Here, in my opinion, the soundtrack is just without a soul, just "to be there", not to help the game, improve the athmosphere.

Guards, doing just 1 hit and starring at you, like telling you: hey player, you have been hit, it's better for you to run now! Where guards in previous games, made it a short process with you. Also thief 1-2 guards, were at leasting knowing the sword fight, parrying, swinging etc, here you just geting stabbed, with same hit over and over again.

Fucking imperialistic ww1 helmets, don't ask me why, i just don't like them.
                          Probably i could tell a lot more, but why bothering, the best feeling i can discribe when playing this game: the game feels wrong. It doesn't hook you, to play more and more. Boring story, and dull characters.

Advanced difficulty settings, this is really a big plus for the game, without it, i might just have ended playing it, after 2 minutes.

The mission, wher you have to rob the masks, well, it felt slithly more thiefish, for some reason, but so far, this is the only mission, i had some slight flashback to previous series.

Have yet to complete it, i'm in chapter 2, but already lost the mood, to continue playing it.
                          When did you become sensible?

Comment

• NeuroFunkeR
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Moses2k View Post
                            When did you become sensible?
                            the question is, do i even know you?

Comment

• Trapmaster
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Antero90 View Post
                              Yeah, I guess sometimes the path to sucess does not go paralel to good product. My avatar is another good example, tho the band did redeem itself after that with Duke.
                              It was a weird album, even though one of the most popular songs of them was on it. (The next album was not too much better imo, but atleast you could listen through it in one piece).

Now that I finished the game, here are some final thoughts:
                              -Last two chapters mark the low point of the campaign. Dull, monotonous and repetetive.
                              -Bosses were fine imo.
                              -Overall a solid game. As for setting up higher difficulties, I suggest always playing with quicksave. Otherwise the game get's frustating fast.
                              -DM is plain easy. Makes the game easier than any other FPS.

Comment

• Keggie
                                • Aug 2005

Thief 4 was just lacking stuff and badly written, its an fairly good stealth game, just a poor thief game.
                                Videos - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                                X