X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tafferton
    • Nov 2008

Lack of Bots?

Someone said this game won't have bots, I think. I'm not sure if that's true, but... Are you crazy!

I don't mean to sound stupid or anything, and I know how hard it is to make bots (code, code, code, test, test, /suicide) but honestly, Thief and Thievery/Nightblade are games that, unfortunately, appeal to a niche audience. As such, they all a.) didn't have the proper amount of players for games of their caliber and development time, or b.) died early deaths because there weren't enough players to go around, circulate in and out of the player pool, and keep the mod/game/community alive.

Make no mistake, Thievery is dead. All the development time that went into it, and except for a few scattered players on at odd times, the servers are empty. If it weren't for bots, there would be no life at all, and with the three or four people (obviously more, but not all at the same time), the bots keep the games populated and interesting.

Without bots, those 2 guys I saw playing the other day would be in the server completely alone, and I doubt they would stick around for very long.

I'm just saying. I hope you guys have everything under control because I don't see Nightblade, no matter how much me and people like me will probably enjoy it, surviving for very long on the mod scene. The very latest in gaming technology (ie. UT3 Engine) won't be the end all of these worries, either.
  • immortius
    • Jan 2003

Nightblade has bots/guard AI. Don't know where that came from.
    Immortius' Forge

Comment

• Rodent
      • Jan 2003

It's pretty simple really, multiplayer games are about playing against human opponents. If people want to play vs bots, go play Thief!

Saying that a game wouldn't survive without bots; and that you should have them so people can play when no-one's around is like aiming to fail from the very outset.
      Last edited by Rodent; 5 Nov 2008, 02:20 AM.
      Nightwarden,
      .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
      - "Earth dons the red; calls the maggots."

Comment

• Inq
        • May 2008

I agree completely with Tafferton, but since Immortius has said there are bots anyway, it doesn't really matter.
        http://rjanes.co.uk
        http://www.rpg-palace.com/

Comment

• Tafferton
          • Nov 2008

Sorry, temporary reversion into a neanderthal. I was just voicing my concern, but this is great news to hear.

Also, this game would die an early death because there would be no one to play against. While novel to play a multiplayer thief-based game, without people to populate the servers, no on would stick around. No one wants to play by themselves.

Of course, there will probably be a fairly large crowd in the beginning, but once that begins to drop in size, bad things would happen, people would get bored and they would leave. That's all I'm saying, and it's true. You need some sort of meat on this plate of Thiefy goodness or the people will go hungry.

I'm really glad you dispelled my fears though, WHEW. Without bots, this game wouldn't even have an afterlife in LAN play.

Originally posted by Rodent View Post
          It's pretty simple really, multiplayer games are about playing against human opponents. If people want to play vs bots, go play Thief!

Saying that a game wouldn't survive without bots; and that you should have them so people can play when no-one's around is like aiming to fail from the very outset.
          Not what I said. I don't want to play with bots, but without bots to fill the empty spaces in the server, it'll be like playing a game of hide and seek that the guards will never win.

I'm looking at Nightblade through the lens of how Thievery is now.

Comment

• Rodent
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Tafferton View Post
            I'm looking at Nightblade through the lens of how Thievery is now.
            Fair enough, and I know what you're concerned about. But you should probably get rid of that lens now
            Nightwarden,
            .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
            - "Earth dons the red; calls the maggots."

Comment

• sky-fiwa-
              • Sep 2005

Thievery died a death? Nah. Most mods don't even get a good community together. Thievery survived for quite a bit.
              My Profile Sux.

Comment

• ]>CoD<[Chief
                • Jul 2004

Nightblade has bots/guard AI. Don't know where that came from.
                And they'll only get better and better with time Wall climbing spiders would be somewhat evil, but fun
                [E.D.G]Chief

Comment

• Inq
                  • May 2008

God no to wall climbing spiders. I hate spiders. Cythe's spider already gives me the heeby jeebies. However, if Cythe is up to creating a guard dog model (subtle), that'd be a great addition, I'd wager. Something that barks loudly when it spots a thief nearby. Basically an aggressive walking whistler.

Comment

• ]>CoD<[Chief
                    • Jul 2004

the NightBlade editor pack for UT2004 had a dog skin in one of the files (but no dog model), but if a uv unwrap is there then the model did exist in the ut2k4 version.

And yes dogs whether guard or ferrel is a must, along with the wall climbing roof grappling spiders (who dive down upon you in a hairy embrace of poisonous fangs).

oh and btw I hate spiders too, but it's thiefish to have 'em -NB-Spider ~ The level with huge hairy spiders that like to rampage - Who still wnants to paly NightBladery
                    [E.D.G]Chief

Comment

• Inq
                      • May 2008

I wouldn't play the spider level, CoD and I wouldn't go near them on the other levels. That Asylum with the giant spider? Keep it away from me.

Comment

• Bandit
                        • Nov 2003

Spiders are fun! Not scary! I would add even zombies!
                        .:.S.e.r.v.e.r.B.r.o.w.s.e.r.:.

Comment

• ]>CoD<[Chief
                          • Jul 2004

zombified spiders
                          [E.D.G]Chief

Comment

• Tafferton
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Rodent View Post
                            Fair enough, and I know what you're concerned about. But you should probably get rid of that lens now

Nightblade will shake the very foundations of our world!

I bought a bulk order of them so I'm stuck with them. I have a few still in their original wrappers though, so maybe you could stop by the Antiques Roadshow and get them appraised. Who knows, they could be valuable.

Originally posted by sky-fiwa- View Post
                            Thievery died a death? Nah. Most mods don't even get a good community together. Thievery survived for quite a bit.
                            Ah, but it's dead now. Other similar mods are still going strong. Although I will admit, the aging technology, in the year 2006, probably played a very large role in that. People weren't going to stick around and play an old game or they sold their CDs like nerds and they can't play it. I guess the reason Nightblade is UT3 (which I'm upset about only because this means I'll have to buy it if Nightblade is good, even though it's just UT repeat number 4, and it costs $50 for the same game I've practically bought three times by the time I get it ARGH) is because you would spend all your time modding for UT2k4 and by the time you got done, people would be in the next game.

Also, I want to be able to *play* a wall climbing spider. So we can have a little Alien Versus predator action going on, maybe with a spider queen that the spiders have to protect. Yeah... With Predator spiders, and the guards can be given Van Helsing style repeating crossbows.

Comment

• TafferBoy
                              • Mar 2003

Nightblade won't need bots if its good, drop this 'niche appeal', make a good game and you get players. Bots just ruin the multiplayer experience.

No offense to Cythe and the team, but player and equipment models (someone make a torch) are more crucial to getting the show on the road. Spiders, dogs etc. its all embellishment.

There is an opportunity to put something out that has great, but simple, multiplayer gameplay, unlike most of the fancy crap the professionals make.
                              .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

Working...
                              X