View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2010, 08:37 AM   #8
lightfoot

I love the game, but I do agree with what has been said here.

No jump, no crouch, that superflous push/pull, too long pause when picking up stuff.
->
Player movement feels clumsy and less controlled, compared to the old swarm.

Camera position adds to that feeling of less control. Too close to have a real overview, and with all the effects when ppl are firing different weapons, it all becomes an uncontrollable mess all too easy.

I mean, yes, it all looks pretty, but what good is that for, if it just isn't the same fun playing, cos it doesn't give you the same feeling of being in control?

People not feeling like being in control will more likely fall into spray'n'pray mode, making things even messier.

And, talking about less control: mapping has become harder too.

Not meaning the difficulties of learning to use Hammer. Yes, Hammer is a pain in the unarmored butt, but so is the UnrealEd, and what I really mean is, the tilted camera made designing much harder, in principle, than it already was.
It is almost impossible to make the southern walls and edges look natural and still not have 'em obscure the view too much.

Can even be seen on the nice official maps: this way, it will always be a compromise between looks and playability. The general decision has been made in favor of looks, now mappers have to go even longer ways to not let the playability suffer, and still are ultimately doomed to fail in that task.
Guess what I mean is, I would like it if the MAPPER could decide the camera position.

And another thing that makes me fear for the future:

The game was released with a toolset, and with good documentation, to enable the community to easily build custom content.
A really nice move, I think, but still, it seems like something went wrong. The majority of players only play the official maps, and get bored after a few days. A lack of actual content can't be the reason, there is a number of fan-made maps out there already, some of them are really good.

I blame the experience system, and the non-intuitive methods needed to actually get custom content to run, but can't say I have a solution for this. (well, maybe I am just too puzzled over techniques that already worked in 1999, but seem technically impossible in 2010 )
Still, I feel that the stuff people sink work into should be better/more easily integrated somehow, or the game may become a one-summer-wonder.

/*rant mode off*/

As I said, I love the game, and will not stop being thankful for what the BCG folks have done. Just trying to word my feelings here. After more than 200h playtime I can safely say that the things I like are countless. But still, about some details and design decisions, I find them hard to stomach.
lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote