X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MiffedUser
    • Jul 2010

Impassable Level Design

Not really sure if this is something that one would consider noteworthy, but there is an area or two that can't be passed while solo-ing with a certain loadout.

First up is the Cargo Elevator. If you don't carry some sort of weapon which deals ranged damage you cant blow the barrels that cause the pipe to knock down the bridge to cross the gap.

For example, I just discovered that carrying a chainsaw, freeze sentry, and tesla trap renders me unable to complete the level, since none of these will hurt a barrel.

I'm going to assume the same happens in the sewers, where you must blow open the grate before the four shield bugs.
    Last edited by MiffedUser; 2 Aug 2010, 07:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
  • Machine
    • Jan 2003

Good sir, is this a problem with level design or a problem with your loadout? Correct tools for the task and all that... you wouldn't go clay pigeon shooting with a boxing glove would you?

~TuF~

Comment

• immortius
      • Jan 2003

Eh, if you want impassable - it is possible to brick the offline level regardless of loadout. You can actually skip hacking to collect data at the midway point and proceed down the elevator. You end up at the exit, unable to complete the mission and unable to return to collect the data.
      Immortius' Forge

Comment

• Keggie
        • Aug 2005

Impassable you say... i take it you havnt tried bumping into the bridge itself? cannot recall if i was using chainsaw or just pushing against it but you dont have to explode the barrel to lower the bridge but mach and imort are right, you should pick the right tools for the job in hand..

and as for sewers i think it also might be possible.. i havnt tested it but for some reason i recall passing that one bit without exploding the barrel.. but im not sure if it was a ranged weapon that triggered something else off or not
        [E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
        Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
        AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
        Videos - YouTube

Comment

• Informant
          • Jul 2010

Afaik in sewers, there is a spare rifle laying around right where you have to shoot the barrel.

Comment

• Keggie
            • Aug 2005

i was refuring to the section before that where when you hit the barrel it starts the slowmo, metal rail swings down and pushes the crate into the fence to knock it over
            Videos - YouTube

Comment

• NeuroFunkeR
              • Jan 2010

woo sewers, rushed it on insane with teslas and freezing grenades, ftw!

Comment

• NeuroFunkeR
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Machine View Post
                now we all know, whats your favorite sex toy, sir!
                Last edited by NeuroFunkeR; 3 Aug 2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• Machine
                  • Jan 2003

Go away.
                  ~TuF~

Comment

• Chainsaws
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Informant View Post
                    Afaik in sewers, there is a spare rifle laying around right where you have to shoot the barrel.
                    You, sir, win a prize!

It has been noted that on residential the northernmost room with the eggs in requires a tech but you can get there without one. Can someone confirm this is true? I'm not sure if we started without a tech or we lost him half way but the mission didn't end.
                    One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                    -
                    The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

• BiG_D
                      Former Forum Staff
                      • Jan 2003

That door is bashable, and the map doesn't require a tech.
                      It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

• MiffedUser
                        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by keg View Post
                        Impassable you say... i take it you havnt tried bumping into the bridge itself? cannot recall if i was using chainsaw or just pushing against it but you dont have to explode the barrel to lower the bridge but mach and imort are right, you should pick the right tools for the job in hand..

and as for sewers i think it also might be possible.. i havnt tested it but for some reason i recall passing that one bit without exploding the barrel.. but im not sure if it was a ranged weapon that triggered something else off or not
                        Maybe I should, but I also think you shouldn't be required to bring a weapon you don't want to use, outside of weapons needed to destroy enemies like BioMass.

Residential makes you bring a flamer. Some levels make you bring a tech. Some levels are unbeatable with certain loadouts, such as the one I mentioned. There are no spare weapons you can pick up temporarily on Cargo Elevator, and there's no warning saying you must bring a certain weapon type with you.

As for bashing the bridge, no, it didn't work. I punched the bridge, the barrels, the pipe that rolls onto the bridge, used a chainsaw on them, and nothing happened.

A simple fix would be to have some sort of weapon sitting around for you to pick up, like the mining lasers on Timor.
                        Last edited by MiffedUser; 3 Aug 2010, 01:20 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Comment

• Keggie
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by MiffedUser View Post
                          Maybe I should, but I also think you shouldn't be required to bring a weapon you don't want to use, outside of weapons needed to destroy enemies like BioMass.
                          yeah well i believe its suposed to be a 4 player co-op game where you can work out between you the best equipment for the map and you work together to do the map, if you want to do speed runs or just go at it alone then you do the maps as they are made..

Originally posted by MiffedUser View Post
                          Residential makes you bring a flamer. Some levels make you bring a tech. Some levels are unbeatable with certain loadouts, such as the one I mentioned. There are no spare weapons you can pick up temporarily on Cargo Elevator, and there's no warning saying you must bring a certain weapon type with you.

As for bashing the bridge, no, it didn't work. I punched the bridge, the barrels, the pipe that rolls onto the bridge, used a chainsaw on them, and nothing happened.
                          try again, i know iv done it before and iv just tested it again and did it fine... have another go, if you still cannot work it out i will do a demo or somthing..
                          Videos - YouTube

Comment

• MiffedUser
                            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by keg View Post
                            yeah well i believe its suposed to be a 4 player co-op game where you can work out between you the best equipment for the map and you work together to do the map, if you want to do speed runs or just go at it alone then you do the maps as they are made..

try again, i know iv done it before and iv just tested it again and did it fine... have another go, if you still cannot work it out i will do a demo or somthing..

But there's also the possibility of running it solo. The "It's a co-op game" thing doesn't really fly there. The point I'm making is that if you're gonna have an obstacle that can't be passed, without warning before the mission starts, then add a dropped weapon, or put a warning when trying to start the game.

I'd appreciate a demo, if you wouldn't mind. I'm running and pushing against the bridge, at ground level and on the little catwalk above. It's doing nothing. I'm trying it on the pipe as well, and no go. Melee isn't doing anything, and neither is the chainsaw.

Upon trying it again, melee only works (for me) if you punch it from the end, and even then, you have to punch it past the hole, and run along a narrow ledge. It doesn't fall onto the hole, making a bridge. Thanks though.
                            Last edited by MiffedUser; 3 Aug 2010, 02:35 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

• Keggie
                              • Aug 2005

if your going to run it solo then you should know the map anyway and should know what equipment to take for it but i guess my view is dif from yours and that will be the end of it

demo for you and anyone else who wants to know, you need the chainsaw, not tried punch or powerfist

edit fix link.. i think

edit 2 -

and on sewer run also you dont need to blow the barrel, you can chainsaw the pillar to make the bar drop and open the gate
                              Last edited by Keggie; 3 Aug 2010, 03:39 PM.
                              Videos - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X