Thread: Problems!

Registered
    Nov 2004

Unhappy Problems!

I have no clue if I've already complained about this already... I can't remember that far back, anyway...

I cannot run anything with the unreal engine (Unreal, UT, Deus Ex 2, Thievery, etc...) without it going crazy!

First I'll join a game (happens in single player too) and it'll lag a LOT(for me), in my screen it'll look like everything is running really fast; I walk a little and it's like my character is skipping frames. It looks like I'm running fast but I'm not really even moving in reality... like I'll try to move to get away from an enemy and a second later I'm dead and I didn't even get to see what happened to me.

That's it really... it either runs really slow or really fast. I know it's me that has the problem not the servers because everyone else can play fine... this is why I haven't played thievery in a long time. Can anyone here help me? Is there a driver I need?(I have the latest updates) is there a configuration I can to change? or maybe a patch I have to download to fix it? What what? :|
    -Catty-Cat-Cat-Meow

Registered
    Jan 2003
    System specs, OS, etc, etc?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Meow!

(Gpu properties), iirc your problem last time was "v sync" or some feature, or perhaps some kind of driver issue which has that feature, your pc specs would help catty!
    Thief dp, ma, and gold have speed issues with my gpu, and I have to bypass the application deciding on whether to use (v sync) or not in my gpu properties, because it doesn't seem to understand its no good for it, should be a real simple fix, see you around.

Guess maybe a year ago that thief on skels dock moving from the middle boat to the town steps in 2 seconds was you then, HAX BANZOR KITTY KAT!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Possibly a dual-core issue if Cat has one, but no specs.
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

ya I have the dualcore problem...tho i know there is some AMD dual core timing fix that comes with some games... Bioshock for example... so maybe if u have an AMD try searching for the AMD timing fix.... or just try bringing up task manager and set the affinity on the game process to a single CPU... i used imagecfg for Thievery, but imagecfg modifies the actual executable so be sure to back up the original first... Or use WinXPLauncher to do it for you on the fly.
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Yes well unfortunately I forgot how to get to the place where to check the specs... Normally I'm more tech-savvy but I can't remember the command! (I usually just went by that, not going directly to where it is located in a folder or something...) If this statement made no sense to you then it made less sense to me... Sorry I had no sleep >_<

This is all I can tell you:

Microsoft Windows XP
    Hewlett-Packard Company
    HP Pavilion
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
    3800+
    1.80 GHz, 960 MD of RAM
    Physical Address Extension
    NVidia GeForce 6150 LE
    DVD+RW
    Lightscribe
    Double layer
    16X drive
    -Catty-Cat-Cat-Meow

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Normally you'd go to Start, then Run and type 'shutdown /r' then click okay.

No, actually just right click My Computer -> Properties but try the other way too - its teh fun.
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Registered
    Nov 2004
    The properties is where I got all that junk in the above post... I need the specific command like, I think it starts with a D? I know there's an X in there somewhere too... Errr I think...
    -Catty-Cat-Cat-Meow

Registered
    Jan 2003
    dxdiag
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Hello Kitty <(^_^)> says:

When you run thievery:

- alt-tab out
    - press CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE to open task manager
    - go to processes tab
    - right click on thaux.exe
    - select Affinity
    - uncheck one of the boxes

(alternatively, use imagecfg to set the affinity permenantly)

Enjoy.

Despire KAM's suggestion, i find that the AMD Dualcore Optimiser breaks UT and also GTA:SA and a few other games

just execute on one core, and remove the optimiser if it is installed, worked for me and i have a 939 1.8ghz 3800+

PS: also, you never stated whether it is a laptop or not... if it is, make sure the POWER options are set to "always ON" (then just reconfigure the monitor/disk/standby time yourself)
    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Thanks you guys (except you fixxxer LOL j/k) DXDiag is exactly it! Ahhh! Anyway, umm apparently my problem was my drivers after all.. LOL yes I KNOW I'm a total NOOB! Oh well, it works okay now (I still suck at TUT) you guys might see me on there a bit more
    -Catty-Cat-Cat-Meow

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Here's another problem lol umm before anyone asks yes I have version 1.6... whenever I try to join a game I keep getting "version mismatch" for a map... it happened so far for citymuseum and soulsharbor... I did download the map packs from the thievery-nightblade download center... Am I missing something??
    -Catty-Cat-Cat-Meow

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ~CaTBuRgLaR~ View Post
    Here's another problem lol umm before anyone asks yes I have version 1.6... whenever I try to join a game I keep getting "version mismatch" for a map... it happened so far for citymuseum and soulsharbor... I did download the map packs from the thievery-nightblade download center... Am I missing something??
    souls and city are both offical map that come with 1.6... what mappack did you install? duno if there is an older mappack that contains older versions of those maps
    [E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
    Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
    AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
    Videos - YouTube

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I have: th-mappack_classic, th-mappack_retro, th-mappack_6.0, MapPack-1.0_for_TUT-1.6 and MapPack-1.1_for_TUT-1.6
    -Catty-Cat-Cat-Meow

Registered
    Aug 2005
    hm.. well.. MapPack-1.0_for_TUT-1.6 and MapPack-1.1_for_TUT-1.6 are pretty much the same as th-mappack_6.0 i think (altho mappack 6.0 includes other files for brodys server im not sure if others have) but none of those files should get you a server mismatch.. duno what to say bout that.. maybe your files are courpt.. can you play them in single player? you can allways reinstall 1.6 over the top of what you have allready to see if it makes a difference... you can also delete any mismatched files, and it will auto download from server (but that way takes a loooong time as download is pretty slow)
    [E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
    Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
    AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
    Videos - YouTube

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I guess I could try re-installing it...
    -Catty-Cat-Cat-Meow

Quote Originally Posted by necros View Post
    Despire KAM's suggestion, i find that the AMD Dualcore Optimiser breaks UT and also GTA:SA and a few other games
    Hmm Can't say i've had that problem.

But don't listen to Necros anyway.. he should not be tinkering with computers.. from trying to run a PC with SLI on a 300w PSU to killing explorer and running litestep.. its a wonder he can boot his PC up at all
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Registered
    Nov 2004
    lol well I think I solved that problem... with this new one? I dunno... I haven't re-installed it yet because there's no one to play with
    -Catty-Cat-Cat-Meow

Registered
    Apr 2004
    eww you know i'd never use SLI

... i'm too poor for one
    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thread Information