Thread: Would you pay dear ?

Registered
    Jun 2004

Would you pay dear ?

Unconfirmed rumors* suggest that BCG will choose the Radiohead Pricing model for their upcoming game Alien Swarm: Incested. Their brave producer, of course, is backing up this plan with the 'full force of the law', but first wants to know how much dough he should be suing for.

So how much would you pay _the developers_ for the video game ? Since understandably, it's hard to calculate the bang for your bugs of this unreleased title, you might apply the calculation retroactively to any game in your collection.

The prize for participating in this survey is nothing.

(*) Inside my head
    --

Simple. I'd pay 100$ now. And with each day passing till release, it's 1$ less...

Guess I'll be making money in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    Unconfirmed rumors* suggest that BCG will choose the Radiohead Pricing model for their upcoming game Alien Swarm: Incested.
    I think that name fits well.

But it depends. How much different will this game be compared to the current one? Will this one be good? Or, like Radiohead, will it have one big Hurrah and then fade back into the abyss?
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Freudian Slip? DX

Dunno, that Radiohead (is that some band filling in for Oasis, now that theyre old?)thing looks like "They'll steal it anyways so just lets take what we get". Bad Idea. Just make Alien Swarm : Inboobed really cheap, less than 50$ or so.

Good question Butters.

-Well, if the game is bigger than ASw 1.2, with at least +/- 12 maps, i think 40$ dollars should be ok for a Steam free boxed version. A downloadable version should be 5-10$ less.

-If they decide to force the usage of Steam, the game should be under 30$. I perfecly know that Steam really help on the publicity side, and will probably boost the sales. So due to mass puplicity, Steam users should be ables to get the game for less. Cost and sales logic ratio. Everyone know that the value of the product his highly decreasing because you can't resale the copy you rent unlike the Steam free/boxed version.

I dont try to flame Steam system here. I just try to explain the relative devaluation of a product buy on Steam. I think seriously that Steam help the small developers like BCG to accomplish something probably impossible on a such huge market. But i think the client should have to choice to decide if he want Steam or not. The client will have to pay more for a Steam free version, and its perfectly normal. And yes, i will buy the Steam free boxed copy if theres one. I did the same with Defcon. I like to have the box, the manual, ect.
    My AS2K4 map: Sulfure-SE
    And a fixed one: BehemothTournament-TE2

Quote Originally Posted by Schleicher View Post
    Freudian Slip? DX

Dunno, that Radiohead (is that some band filling in for Oasis, now that theyre old?)thing looks like "They'll steal it anyways so just lets take what we get". Bad Idea. Just make Alien Swarm : Inboobed really cheap, less than 50$ or so.
    Hmm...Radiohead was around in 1992, Oasis was in 1995.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Well, Radiohead are still alive and singing, as evidenced by the album I just bought for 0.00. Not too shabby! I'm looking forward to buying the next one.
    --

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Will the game come with feelies, like a tuft of black cat hair? If so, I would be willing to pay through the nose...which would be running, as I'm allergic to cats. ((
    <- not a cat (do not eat)

I've been waiting to give BCG money for some time now, but they just wouldn't accept it! Where should I post my bank account number? I'm thinking four figures would be reasonable...as long as two of them come after decimal point.

Well, Radiohead are still alive and singing, as evidenced by the album I just bought for 0.00. Not too shabby! I'm looking forward to buying the next one.
    Some people just grab junk because its free... doesn't mean radiohead is "alive"... just that they released an album that's worth what you paid.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    But surely, not having to pay is a valid rational criterion to pick up stuff. After all, people grab (and pay for) junk for much less valid reasons (because it had good reviews in magazines!?). Great things are free: BCG mods, Baz drawings, Carth love...

What interested me from the story is the possibility to pay what one thinks it is worth. Why wouldn't it be a workable model when the cost of reproduction and distribution is zero?
    --

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Great things are free: BCG mods, Baz drawings, Carth love...
    I assume that "Moses' maps" was implied as well?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses2k View Post
    I assume that "Moses' maps" was implied as well?
    Those are only free price-wise. They cost the earth in mental health care afterwards.

But surely, not having to pay is a valid rational criterion to pick up stuff. After all, people grab (and pay for) junk for much less valid reasons (because it had good reviews in magazines!?). Great things are free: BCG mods, Baz drawings, Carth love...

What interested me from the story is the possibility to pay what one thinks it is worth. Why wouldn't it be a workable model when the cost of reproduction and distribution is zero?
    LOL if i take a dump in a box and put it on the shelf and say "Free Free Free!!!!" would you take it?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Manzoni, is that you ?
    --

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by -KewlAzMe- View Post
    LOL if i take a dump in a box and put it on the shelf and say "Free Free Free!!!!" would you take it?
    Take anything for free whilst its free. Sounds cliche' but if you don't, you'll miss out.

Obviously, I wouldn't take your sh*t from you though, KAM.
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Quote Originally Posted by FixXxeR View Post
    Take anything for free whilst its free. Sounds cliche' but if you don't, you'll miss out.

Obviously, I wouldn't take your sh*t from you though, KAM.
    ...Well you've put up with my sh!t for this long

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I think sustained ourselves through all of it... would be a more fitting term.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Endure .. in enduring, grow strong.

Thread Information