Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tournament of Darkness VI

Registered
    Jan 2003

Tournament of Darkness VI

Tournament of Darkness VI

That's right ladies and gentlemen, ToD is back by popular demand! Everyone had better start honing their skills again, because this is going to be the best installment yet.

About Tournament of Darkness

Who can join?
    -Anyone actually! The only requirement is that you can not be banned from a major server. The reason for this is we are going to be using those servers to host the tournament, and it will be up to the server admins and the ToD admins to make the call as to whether you can join.

Do I need a team?
    -No! In ToD VI the team selection will be in a draft style format. All you have to do is sign up and you will be entered in a pool of participants.

What will the layout of ToD be?
    -ToD will be a double elimination ladder. After the first round of play the teams will be divided into a winning and losing bracket. In round 2 all the teams will compete again in their respective brackets, but the teams that lose in the losing bracket will be eliminated. After round 2 is complete and 1/4 of the teams have been eliminated, the teams will continue in their respective win/loss bracket.

How long will the tournament last?
    -The tournament will be at set times throughout the weekend. Your team will be expected to have players ready to go at your assigned time. If the players are not present, the admin will declare a forfeit after 10 minutes.

How can my team keep contact with the admins as the tournament progresses?
    -Tournament of Darkness now has its own IRC channel that can be found on StarChat at #ToD. Your team will need at least one member there to keep up with the latest news as the tournament is running. In addition to the IRC channel, a graphical ladder will keep the standings up-to-date.

What about voice communication programs?
    -Voice comms will be allowed and provided for both teams hosted by TheMachine. Teams will no longer be prohibited from using voice comms by the other teams lack of communication. The catch is that your voice comms will be monitored periodically to insure fair play, but honesty would be the best policy for this. You can join at mach.homeip.net using TeamSpeak.

Team Selection Process

This time around, ToD will be trying out a new system for team selection to avoid the creation of what people are calling “elite teams”, while avoiding the completely random teams. The system will work like so:

-When applying to be in ToD, you must specify whether you would like to be a team captain or not.
    -Captains will create an ordered list of players they desire for their team in a text file. Immortius created a nifty program last year that automatically forms the teams based on every captain's picks. This will be used to assign teams. Captains will have until February 2nd to submit their final picks.

Match Rules

-Server settings will be:
    * Clever level AI
    * 3 max following AI
    * AI do not stand still when flashed
    * AI frob awaken enabled
    * AI autowake after 10 minutes
    * 850 starting loot for guards
    * 600 starting loot for thieves
    * 30 minute time limit + map time modifier
    * Loot drop - 50%
    * Supply chest active

-Both teams will enter a private server (which will be provided by the tournament). The admin will restart the map twice to completely reset the server. Then, one player from each team will attempt to join the game as a thief. The auto-balance will send one team member to the guard team and leave one member as the thief. The team thats member was randomly chosen by the server to thieve then gets the option to choose a map or let the other team choose the map. After a map has been selected by one team, the other team is given the option to thieve/guard the first round. Gameplay will commence until a team has won the first game. Then the teams will play the map over again after switching roles. The round is best of 3, so after the second game there could be a potential winner. If not, the two teams will switch roles again and play a third round to determine a winner.

-In the event of a server crash, the game will have to be restarted no matter the circumstances. If the server crash was caused by malicious intent, the admins can kick your team from the tournament.

-Teams are required to have at least 3 members arrive on time to the match. The matches will be played with the highest number of participants possible while keeping the teams even. If a team cannot get 3 members to the match, they can either forfeit or find an acceptable substitute.

-After the match is complete, the tournament admin will submit the results to me so I can update the standings. You are then free to do as you wish until your next match is up.

What happens if I win?

You are crowned the winner of the tournament and songs will be sung about you for ages to come. Well, you’ll get some kudos within the community at least.

How Do I Sign Up?

Easy. Send a PM my way.

Be sure you can be around for the days of the tournament, starting around 4 PM going until possibly 2 AM GMT on February 9 and February 10. I'll need your application by January 20 to prepare times and servers.

Please include:

Your TUT Name/BCG Forum Name
    Whether you would like to be a captain
    Desired Team Name

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    If there are any further questions, you can PM me or just ask them here. I'd be happy to clarify or state anything I might have missed.

Current Roster

Here is the updated roster of people that have signed up for the tournament as of now. Don't be discouraged though, as most people tend to sign up towards the deadline date.

FixXxeR*
    beast
    Trapmaster
    John dillinger
    sky-fiwa-
    LoUie
    Antero
    Archer
    Biohazard*
    Jarvis
    Grimmy/Vigilant
    Przemek557
    Rodent*
    Bandit*
    Aggamemnon*
    _OskaR
    monolith
    PettyThief/Appollonius
    Shug
    SpamSlayer
    OoZe
    Urukus
    okih-imus
    Magic
    Convict
    Last edited by Biohazard; 5th Feb 2008 at 03:26 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Looking forward to the results of the new Mort® TeamCreator
    Nightmaster,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "until the cat is skinned"

Registered
    Jan 2003
    The best of luck to all who enter, grab me in TS anytime if teams need assistance configuring Teamspeak or if a private channel is required. Bio give me a shout if you need help on something, I'm not entering but have free time to assist before and probably during the event.
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Jan 2003
    muhahahah
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Registered
    Jan 2003
    should be fun =]
    deserve victory

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Without info about time zone in PM?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    what about anti stacking rule ? and crack/flash/other shiz way of dming ?
    hehe

Registered
    Jan 2003
    yeah, the secret enclave of thievery players voted that crack, flash, and broadhead arrows were an obvious development mistake and players could NOT attempt to use them unless they decided to play the game as it was in a slightly competitive environment

any videos portraying them as nasty cheats should use some form of hard metal backup music to really bring home the consequences of using these horrific exploitz
    Nightmaster,

Registered
    Nov 2003
    the legendary tod.. hah! how can you NOT be in it?!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    ToD will follow the rules that have been established on the servers today. If you would be banned for cheating on the server normally, it will be considered cheating in the tournament and will result in a forfeiture.

Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
    ToD will follow the rules that have been established on the servers today. If you would be banned for cheating on the server normally, it will be considered cheating in the tournament and will result in a forfeiture.
    That doesn't cover object stacking..
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I didn't think people were banned for object stacking normally, so why should it be banned from the tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    yeah, the secret enclave of thievery players voted that crack, flash, and broadhead arrows were an obvious development mistake and players could NOT attempt to use them unless they decided to play the game as it was in a slightly competitive environment

any videos portraying them as nasty cheats should use some form of hard metal backup music to really bring home the consequences of using these horrific exploitz
    What about thinking about the impact of the server settings on the current equipment effectivity.
    I mean that the server rules have faaar too big impact to be decided from the hip.

Besides, you left out friendly fire settings and force respawn Bio.

I'll have to see if something for college is planned for then...but Feb 9/10 sounds good so far -- i should boot into windows sometime and sharpen my sword lol
    SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

I didn't think people were banned for object stacking normally, so why should it be banned from the tournament?
    depends who's server you are on.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I consider it a poor form tactic, but I think TOD rules should be wide open
    -YT

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Yeey!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by FixXxeR View Post
    I consider it a poor form tactic, but I think TOD rules should be wide open
    Isn't it ironic that things like poor form and unfairness are discussed in a game where the main objectives are killing and stealing?

I don't mean anything by that, it just struck me...

Registered
    Jan 2003
    But a very valid point G. Thats why I think this year it should be anything goes.

If anything it'll make the rounds super quick when you all get spawnraped
    -YT

Registered
    Nov 2003
    i hope there will be plenty ppl this tod!

biohazard, just a thought, but cant you write up in the first thread of everyone that has signed up? so ppl can se how many there will be so far etc.. 8)

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I can, but usually people don't join until the day or two before the deadline. I'm guessing this is so they can see if their schedule is free.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I've updated the first post to include a roster at the end.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Still need the theiveryAI files for brodies servers. After using the customs map pack I have had a mismatch.

odd. there is no new ThieveryAI.dll or u file in the custom map pack.

Banned
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    oO some 1 tried make ai stand still and do nothing, when u join servers?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by -KewlAzMe- View Post
    odd. there is no new ThieveryAI.dll or u file in the custom map pack.
    All I know is. I could join. Needed a map one night (takes ages so used map pack).

Couldn't join, thieveryai mismatch.

Screw it. I'm in. That means one of you is going to get stuck with a tired old ghoster. Don't even think about asking me to DM. ^_-

Anyway, I'll send off the PM and begin practicing.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    You said this last time

I'm putting my name in, but it really depends when it's held as to if I can make it. Fridays and Saturdays are really busy for me with work now.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Be sure you can be around for the days of the tournament, starting around 4 PM going until possibly 2 AM GMT on February 9 and February 10. I'll need your application by January 20 to prepare times and servers.
    Are these days pending turnout?
    Nightmaster,

Just a fair warning. I think everyone in CTG knew it, but I've never done a ToD before and a lot of the newer guys don't know me well, if at all. If your plan is to solely go for a DM win, I'm not a wise choice for your team.

I mix very well with talented DMers though. I'd love to team with you Agg, if the opportunity arises.

Thread Information