Thread: PC resets on boot

Registered
    Sep 2004
    central Poland, Łódź, second floor, my room

PC resets on boot

Heya, i waken up this morning and i cant start my pc. it resets every time it tries to boot from the hdd. There are no error messages whatsoever... it just passes the ram test etc. and when it comes to searching for boot it finds nothing in the CD (normal) floppy(normal) and then when it goes to booting from my drive it screen goes black (normal) and after a second the pc resets (WTF?)

its a 40gb samsung.

didnt have anny problems with it before, the last thing i did with it was hard reset and powerdown but it never made anny problems with it b4.

Maybe u encountered similar or exactly the same thing? help.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I have a problem that if my iShuffle is plugged in, my crazy PC tries to boot up off it and does exactly what you are describing. Got any external mass storage devices attached when booting up?
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Registered
    Sep 2004
    nope, i pluged off everything except the ram and gfx card.
    Its the drive i took it to my friends house and it doesnt boot from his pc either. Right now its at his place and going through some fixing with diskchecker. i think ill need a good bootsector fixing program or generally a good diagnostic/repair program to do this. Im completley a newbie with this cause it happens first time.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    My dad had the same problem when after mucking around with partitions, he forgot to set the partition with the OS on it to Active, I don't know if that will help, use GNOME Partition Editor or something.
    Your order has been dispatched!

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Hope you backed up.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Same old, same old.

Take everything out, boot with just the Mobo, gfx, cpu and memory in there.

Add components one by one to find out what has failed and replace it.
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Apr 2004
    If the boot sector was corrupted you've got a cat in hell's chance of recovering whatever was on that disk.

Try, if you haven't already, to use a Live CD/DVD of Ubuntu/Knoppix and see if it can read any of the data on the drive (ie, see if the partitions are intact and the data on them, rather just unbootable)

If so, you can simply then transfer over network or onto a USB external device, reinstall, and copy the stuff back over
    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by necros View Post
    If the boot sector was corrupted you've got a cat in hell's chance of recovering whatever was on that disk.
    Negative, as you just said, put it in another machine as a slave and copy everything over. If the boot sectors gone you just can't boot.
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Sep 2004
    ive used fixmbr and fixboot and it started responding so i ran a repair from the win xp instalation disc and its alive with all the data unscratched only one problem remained. I have no sound and i cant find drivers to my liteon na115 motherboard annywhere.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Great news, although I'd still consider replacing the drive and using that one as a slave for a bit, or even better a USB to IDE drive. a 40gb drive is hard to come by these days so it must be getting on a bit.

200gb drives are cheap enough nowadays.
    -YT

Registered
    Jan 2005
    try getting generic drivers for the soundcard, get its vendor and device id from the device manager. double click on it, click on the details tab, select hardware id from the dropdown menu, and google the 2 hex values after Ven_ and Dev_. this should tell you what chipset it's using.
    the The Linux PCI ID Repository may also helping for searching!
    ..it's safer here.

Registered
    Sep 2004
    well i have to upgrade it so i will buy all new components a bit after xmass when the prices drop.

the producer is intel ven_8086 (intel) and device number is dev_2445 but i have no idea what to od from here.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    These bad boys might be the ones you are looking for. either way this be your chipset "82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller"
    ..it's safer here.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Maybe you play Eve Online?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    heh, that's actually a good point.

If that's the case you're missing your boot.ini, and you should be able to recover with your windows CD.
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ki!ler-Mk1 View Post
    Maybe you play Eve Online?
    Way to link to something that needs an account to view!
    ..it's safer here.

Registered
    Sep 2004
    Nah i only have the instal of eve lying somewhere on my hdd. I didnt find the drivers yet, there were some performance kits and stuff like that but didnt see anny soundcard drivers. :/ I gues theyre out there somewhere im just to lame to find them but i keep searching...

edit
    Im desperate... another evening searching and no solution. the system has the intel ac'97 drivers instaled and they were reinstalled but that doesnt help.
    liteon has no drivers to this annymore (i hate those fuckers for remooving drivers to older products from the page)
    Last edited by =IRON=CORVUS; 11th Dec 2007 at 12:38 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Sucky, I've looked around and I could even find the spec's of that motherboard.

Your best bet is to try to find the "sound card" microchip on the motherboard and google for that number.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/LiteOn_NA115__5410440

Looking at this low res image I think it's at the bottom right, near the PCI slots. Post the all the numbers written on the chip here and I'll help look if you want.

Edit: Just read Baz's post! Silly me.
    http://members.driverguide.com/drive...riverid=222049. Might be worth a try. Signup for Driver Guide is free.
    Kept an xmas avatar for 3 year(s).

Registered
    Jan 2003
    EDIT: Oh you got the disk working

Dirvers - can't help you!
    Last edited by FixXxeR; 12th Dec 2007 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Doh! * smacks self repeatedly *
    -YT

Registered
    Sep 2004
    they are chargeing for the download

Registered
    Aug 2006
    They only charge if you want a CD posted to you. There is an option to download the file to your hard disk.

(I know it's free, I just checked )
    Kept an xmas avatar for 3 year(s).

Registered
    Sep 2004
    oh thanks westy ive got the driver thaught they were gonna charge me cause thats the first thing they try to do (or stuff me some software i dont really have need for)

edit
    Damn i pinpointed him directly to the driver and "creator cant find a driver that would be more suitable than the one installed" which propably means my driver is up to date :/ that means ill propably have to instal windows again(the horror!) i wanted to avoid this as much as possible :/ well ill wait and see if there will be anny usefull answers on some tech help forums and if not ill do the formating (hope dies last! XD) thanks for all the help everyone
    Last edited by =IRON=CORVUS; 12th Dec 2007 at 11:38 AM.

From the fixes you had to run to get the system up I'd recommend an immediate rebuild anyway. Get your data backed up a.s.a.p. and then do a completely fresh install. Windows repairs are great for saving your data in a fix but it's like patching up a hole in a battleship with Sellotape and Blu-Tack.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaws View Post
    ...it's like patching up a hole in a battleship with Sellotape and Blu-Tack.
    Just like this solution the windows restore works when it feels like it which seems to be never.
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Sep 2004
    well on fresh system now.

Thread Information