Thread: AS:I System Requirements

Registered
    Mar 2007

AS:I System Requirements

What Integrated graphics cards / laptop graphics cards will work on AS:I.?

Got Mobile Intel GMA915 for the moment and probably get a new laptop with better graphic card in near future but i hope AS:I could work on Intel GMA915.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'd say give HL2 a try. If that runs okay, then I'm pretty sure AS:I is going to work too.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Just curious, are bloom effects gonna be in, like how HL2 has now. And full HDR too?

It's okay if it doesn't but it would be nice.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    And may I ask what you expect from full HDR in a game that's pitchblack?
    Last edited by Omega; 21st Jan 2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: forgot an r

Registered
    Jan 2003
    We would expect that darkness to be the highest-definition darkness we've ever seen.

So, what's the answer?

Registered
    Oct 2004
    I would like lens flares and monochrome washout for my nuclear grenade asplosions.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Can you guys seriously like.. stop trying to derail every single fucking thread you post in? Especially you, Moses. It's getting really tiresome.

I am interested in what Jimyd expected to see from HDR in a game that hasn't got a visible sun.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Agreed...
    My Profile Sux.

Registered
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    well, so at least a light source doesn't look cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Preservation of detail in large contrast differences

One of the primary features of HDR is that both dark and bright areas of a scene can be accurately represented. Without HDR (sometimes called low dynamic range, or LDR, in comparison), areas that are too dark are clipped to black and areas that are too bright are clipped to white. These are represented by the hardware as a floating point value of 0.0 and 1.0 for pure black and pure white, respectively.

Graphics processor company nVIDIA summarizes one of HDRR's features in three points[4]:

* Bright things can be really bright
    * Dark things can be really dark
    * And details can be seen in both

The images on the right are from Crytek's FarCry, demonstrating a new patch that enables Shader Model 3.0 effects. In the HDR render (the left image), the bright light from the outside casts a blue glow where it enters using light blooming, allows details underwater to be seen, overall gives the scene more vibrance, and the darker spots have the same amount of detail compared to the low dynamic range image. In the low dynamic range render (the right image), there is no light blooming where the light enters from, and the overall scene looks dull.

Accurate preservation of light

Without HDRR, the sun and most lights are clipped to 100% (1.0 in the framebuffer). When this light is reflected the result must then be less than or equal to 1, since the reflected value is calculated by multiplying the original value by the surface reflectiveness, usually in the range 0 to 1. This gives the impression that the scene is dull or bland. However, using HDRR, the light produced by the sun and other lights can be represented with appropriately high values, exceeding the 1.0 clamping limit in the frame buffer, with the sun possibly being stored as high as 60000. When the light from them is reflected it will remain relatively high (even for very poor reflectors), which will be clipped to white or properly tonemapped when rendered.

Likewise when light passes through a transparent material, the light that passes through has a lower brightness than when the light entered. An example of the differences between HDR & LDR rendering can be seen in the images to the right, from Valve's Half-Life 2: Lost Coast which uses their Source game engine. In the example pictures, with low dynamic range rendering, much less light passes through the stained glass, causing the scene to be darker. The reason for this is that when light passes through a transparent material, it lowers the light’s brightness. In a simple example, say the stained glass can block 40% of the light. Since the highest value of the low dynamic range light is 1.0, this means a brightness of 0.6 is illuminating the other side. The high dynamic range light is perhaps 100, which means a brightness of 60 is illuminating the other side.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dy...ange_rendering

it sets the moods a bit better, my guess is that you guys are already using it.

I think the HDR will be less pronounced as AS is not exactly a sunny game...

Registered
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I sincerely hope AS:I is not completely "pitch black". We know and expect that AS:I will be dark, but obviously, there's got to be at least some minimal amount of light in the levels because there's no point in even making a level no one can see, right? So, I'm sure there are places that HDR effects could be a nice feature, but a very minor one.

I would be more disappointed if I heard AS:I was being delayed in order to add HDR effects.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    That was just a joke. We want AS:I to be friendly to new players too.

Registered
    Sep 2004
    I could be wrong, but it sounds like HDR is done on a per map basis and is enabled or disabled client side.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargoth View Post
    <image snip>
    HDR won't produce those window shines, that looks more like a simple texture, or the engines own lighting techniques. All I notice in the difference from Bloom and HDR is, HDR makes you feel more like your character has been taking magic mushrooms, so diverse colors. Also my understanding of HDR is that it renders the scene, 3 times...That means it will reduce your FPS by 3 times...thats a big drop down...
    Your order has been dispatched!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by deathispainfull View Post
    Also my understanding of HDR is that it renders the scene, 3 times...That means it will reduce your FPS by 3 times...thats a big drop down...
    Such lies! HDR can be rendered in a single pass. Generally a second pass is used for post processing to enhance the first render, and since this doesn't involve any geometry calculations the strain on the gpu is more fill rate/pixely dependant. This wouldn't always result in a 50% drop in frame rate. Also your other waffle is all bad like.
    ..it's safer here.

Registered
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by deathispainfull View Post
    HDR won't produce those window shines
    if you look closely, the same sprites from the windows can be found on the other image. no, HDR rendering or High Definition Range rendering, do these things;

* Bright things can be really bright
    * Dark things can be really dark
    * And details can be seen in both

Registered
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuspec View Post
    I think the HDR will be less pronounced as AS is not exactly a sunny game...
    has nothing to do with the sun, but light sources. NO game as of yet has had a sun but a bright light source in the sky.

after reading that, I completely agree with myself thats a stupid comment.

but what I ment was, like looking at this image

light sources will look like a light source in real life, and darkness will look like darkness. instead of looking like a point of texture that has a lighter color tex than the rest

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Such lies! HDR can be rendered in a single pass. Generally a second pass is used for post processing to enhance the first render, and since this doesn't involve any geometry calculations the strain on the gpu is more fill rate/pixely dependant. This wouldn't always result in a 50% drop in frame rate. Also your other waffle is all bad like.
    I'm just saying what I heard in the commentary clips in Half Life 2 : Lost Coast

Registered
    Jan 2003
    That was because they were doing extra passes for the water, if I recall correctly.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by immortius View Post
    That was because they were doing extra passes for the water, if I recall correctly.
    But doesn't that mean it will apply for the entire HL2 engine? Meaning...AS:I HDR as well?

As long as I can adjust gamma, no game will be too dark.

I think pitch dark pits won't be a problem in ASI

Registered
    Mar 2007

The famous light source, everyone should use it.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    HDR Lense Flare for AS:I?

Simulation with obligatory noise and bloom
    Last edited by Baz; 27th Jan 2008 at 09:35 PM.
    ..it's safer here.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihmemies View Post
    I think pitch dark pits won't be a problem in ASI
    If I'll ever get to know how to use Hammer...

And just to contribute to the Bloom and HDR discussion, I hate them both. HDR hurts my eyes and makes everything lag, so I always turn it off. Bloom combined with blur stops me from playing UT3 because I can't see clearly where the enemies are running because they're just huge blobs somewhere in a ball of light...Thanks bloom.

Oh, and the comparison with the windows, I'd like the option without HDR rendering, thank you. With the HDR rendering you can just run around singing CAN YOU FEEL THE SUNSHINE, DOES IT BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY

Ugh.
    Last edited by Phantaloz; 2nd Feb 2008 at 10:31 AM.
    The *mean French look* haunts...everywhere.

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy

Registered
    Mar 2008
    I Wonder if AS:I will work under Wine, Linux.?

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Google. If I can do it, so can you!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vingummi View Post
    I Wonder if AS:I will work under Wine, Linux.?
    Well, does Steam and HL2????

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Long story short: apparently.

Thread Information