Thread: Can't Play Alien Swarm

Registered
    Jun 2006

Can't Play Alien Swarm

I bought UT 3 recently for my new computer and it came with the Unreal Anthology for free. For those of you who don't know, the Anthology is a bunch of the old Unreal games including UT 2004. Well I had my old copy of UT and UT 2004 but I figured it would be easier to just install it through the anthology pack.

Few days ago I thought I would get back into Alien Swarm since all my other games were starting to bore me and what better form of entertainment than slaughtering aliens with automatic weapons? So I went through the steps I used last time I installed Alien Swarm:
    1. I installed the UT 2004 patch
    2. Installed the first version of Alien Swarm
    3. Installed all the patches (1.32 is the latest I had, I think that is the last one they released)

Before you ask, yes I did make sure I installed it into the correct folder in the Anthology subfolder. Problem is now that it says I have an invalid CD key. I knew that couldn't be right because I had played UT 2004 before and it worked like a charm. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I would really like to not have to re-install as I am at college now and I left the discs and cd key back at my house. What do I do?

Do you have a 64bit OS? Then it's not the CD key! Can't explain that stupid error message, but I had the same problem 2 days ago.
    You need to download a 64bit patch for UT2004 and use the ut2004-win64.exe with parameter "-mod=AlienSwarm". Now everything works fine again, except Ao-BugCity has bad lags.

Registered
    Oct 2007
    Well, I also bought Unreal Anthology (4 games DVD + 1 music CD) about a year ago (there was a small sticker with cd-key text inside the disk's case). I would check the registry, as the cd-key is stored there. Perhaps, you have some conflicts with your already present UT2004 and newly installed one.

Registered
    Jun 2006
    As far as I know I am still running on the standard 32 bit version of Windows XP. When I got my new computer I just carried over the same operating system from my old one, and it had run Alien Swarm without a hitch.

I also never intalled my old copies of Unreal games, I did it purely through the anthology disc. I loaded up UT 2004 last night and did about half of the campaign, but Alien Swarm still refuses to work.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Make sure your registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology
    reads like this

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\Unreal]
    "Folder"="Your-Drive:\\Your game path"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004]
    "CDKey"="xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx"
    "Folder"="Your-drive:\\your game path to ut2004"
    "Version"="3369"
    "ADMIN_RIGHTS"="You need to run this program as an administrator, not as a guest or limited user account."
    "NO_DISC"="No disc in drive. Please insert the disc labelled Unreal Tournament 2004 Play Disc to continue."
    "NO_DRIVE"="No CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive detected."
    "TITLEBAR"="Unreal Tournament 2004"
    "WRONG_DISC"="Wrong disc in drive. Please insert the disc labelled Unreal Tournament 2004 Play Disc to continue."
    "YEAR"="2004"

Registered
    Jun 2006
    After checking through the registry I found that for some reason the patch had not taken after the first time I had installed it. So I tried the patch again and this time the registry displayed the correct number.

But the error message of an incorrect CD key still comes up when I try to play Alien Swarm. I called back home to try and have someone there find my box and send me the CD key so I can check it to see if there is some odd error. If I change the key through the registry will it cause any sort of problems or should the game just accept it as if I had put it in during installation?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Yes u can change it with registry editor without any problems as long as u doing it right.
    Get a backup of your registry before try it just in case.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    A friend of mine got the anthology edition and we had the same problem. I can't remember exactly how we fixed thou.

I remember trying to launch ASw from the community mods thingy while running UT2004. I think I also re-installed it once. And maybe ran the UT patch on it. Sorry, not much help.
    Kept an xmas avatar for 3 year(s).

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    A friend of mine got the anthology edition and we had the same problem. I can't remember exactly how we fixed thou.

I remember trying to launch ASw from the community mods thingy while running UT2004. I think I also re-installed it once. And maybe ran the UT patch on it. Sorry, not much help.

Your avatar should turn green because of shame giving so less help!

Registered
    Jun 2006
    Ok, I finally got a hold of my Unreal Anthology box so I now have the exact slip of paper that tells me my CD key. Just as my luck would have it, it is the same CD key that I entered for the game.

Turns out that a lot of people on the Epic Game forums were having this same problem. All of the games except UT 2004 were working, and UT 2004 was saying there was an invalid CD key. I finally found the fix for it. Under the UT 2004 system folder (in my case it was C:\Unreal Anthology\UT2004\System) delete or remvove the file labeled UT2004.ini. After doing that I got rid of the previous Alien Swarm I had extracted and put it back in just to be safe, and now it works. I can only hope that I have solved all of the problems. I look forward to playing this game once again and hope to see you guys there. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Haxard; 23rd Feb 2008 at 11:47 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Thanks for taking the time to tell us your solution. I think you're the first person who has suffered the issue, found a solution and done so (although I believe some people in the past have just reinstalled everything from scratch and gotten it working that way).

Thread Information