Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NB Feeling/Game Physics

Quote Originally Posted by Appollonius View Post
    Oh noes, that would just make it more tediously dull playing as a guard than it already is, when playing against good stealth Thieves. I understand some basically want Thief in a MP environment, but that will only serve to drive people away and make it a small niche mod again. Iirc the 3 teams idea was supposed to solve the one-sideded enjoyment to playing as a Thief compared to playing as a guard.
    Boredom isnt that hard to fix realy.
    If a gaurd is busy doing something else then plainly running around spamming flares at shadows, they wont become bored as fast.
    For instance, a city map has certain districts shrouded in darkness, a gaurd's objective could be to take carry-able lamp's to attach them to lamp posts to create more light in the map. (Secondary objectives as KewlAzMe suggested.)

Or a mapper could simply add creepy environment's with scary ambient music and sounds of movement of objects that are not there, causing the gaurd to think more about self defence if anything attacks them then to find thieves sneaking around.

Or a TvTvG mode like suggested by others, with one Thief side being more offensively equipped then the other Thief team. (maybe the ability to only become half as transparant as the stealth team?)

Another idea is to create villager's around the map wandering around, walking in and out taverns and so on, the Gaurds have an objective to protect the villagers from pickpockets (NPC thieves dressed as normal villagers, discretely taking items from places.), the Gaurds will have to kill the pickpockets without harming other villagers (they can be killed by gaurds.), if they do, the secondary objective will be failed.

Alot of these idea's have been posted before, but i did however add a bit of my own idea's to it.

Secondary objectives sounds like a good idea if there are rewards for the guards completing them. Maybe it would add an extra element of strategy for the thieves. Try and finish the objectives quickly before the guards can finish theirs or opt for a slower, more stealthy approach at the risk of giving the guards an advantage.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Yeah but without a reward of say equipment or so, guards won't do them. I mean seriously who goes off to find and bury tommy in Chicken Korman?
    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by necros View Post
    Yeah but without a reward of say equipment or so, guards won't do them. I mean seriously who goes off to find and bury tommy in Chicken Korman?
    Well there's no reward there.. but fixing a generator to light the exit or something would be useful.
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostly apparition View Post
    Have you never read the unreal tournament threads on epics forums? all they do is compare/complain about the different versions and how the latest one isn't true to the UT feeling it was meant to be or some such rubbish. naming them the same inevitably invites comparisons.
    im totaly aware of that, but i think thats another part, more like irrelevant if you look into it more specificly. there'll like even be more far-fetched comparisons than that in the gaming world. it doesnt mean that the game can be "however" it wants.

edit:
    sorry but didnt read it through but you guys were speaking about solving "boredom" somehow? i dont think thats a good idea.. i think the idea could solve it a little bit too good if you know what i mean >.<

everyone knows that tut/nb/tvg is a game of patience, so if you start playing it you know what you're putting yourself through..thats why i sometimes kinda laugh to myself when in a game and someone goes "zzzzz" waiting for the last thief, its pretty ironic if you ask me. anyway! everyone are alot better at beeing patient today than a few years back id say. guards will run around and fool around doing stuff (but at the same time they really doing nothing so they are alert). if there were other stuff you can do to solve boredom, they would totaly not be alert and i think that will lead to many free wins for thieves just because that guard was bored and thought he'd go to town and buy a drink or whatever just a thought..
    Last edited by LoUie; 13th Mar 2008 at 09:24 AM.

just allow us to add gametypes and we can have a LouieBlade and a KamBlade and a GABlade... this way we're all happy

And each of you in his corner.

The game is objective based and is heavily reliant on maps, no two maps are even nearly similar in Thievery, that makes any sort of game balancing strike you at two different spots with two different results. As glad pointed out the 1.6 thievery got somewhat lazier because of the map modifications.

What I'd like to know is how the buying and loadouts stuff is going to be solved, that can give players huge advantage/disadvantage and* the system was developed for earlier Thievery with different sort of game initiation mechanism, which later got changed without any thought about this and consequences blablabla I've mentioned this so many times that I'm boring myself, nevertheless I'm sure that It's gonna repeat.

* (as with basically everything in Thievery - which I'm saying for about 30th time)

Another thing is that currently the aircontrol is UT3 default as far as I know, wouldn't you like to fix that?

and another question http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/2499/nbwtfaw6.jpg

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'm not at a stage where I'm concerned with fixing up/replacing all the UT3 menus quite yet.

Air control... I'm not sure how air control was set in Thievery, I'll have to go and check.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by immortius View Post
    I'm not at a stage where I'm concerned with fixing up/replacing all the UT3 menus quite yet.
    You and Epic
    ..it's safer here.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    You and Epic
    ZING!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I would also have accepted "Oh Snap!".
    ..it's safer here.

Quote Originally Posted by LoUie View Post
    everyone knows that tut/nb/tvg is a game of patience,
    Why do you keep referring to the way TUT is to the way NB will be? TvG is a game of patience... But TvTvG doesn't have to be. nor does GvG.. nor does TvT...

TvG is just one gametype... and its still an open gametype. If done right, mappers have the control using UED and Kismet to make their own map a pseudo gametype... so if someone wants guard objectives on their maps.. feel free.. if someone else wants guards to be bored... then feel free as well. Its not one dimensional... expand your horizons! There is more than one kind of beer!

Quote Originally Posted by -KewlAzMe- View Post
    just allow us to add gametypes and we can have a LouieBlade and a KamBlade and a GABlade... this way we're all happy
    GABlade, I like the sound of that. Maybe I need to go copyright that or something.
    KamBlade...giving KAM a knife, doesn't sound like a great idea to me. Kids shouldn't play with knives, also no running in the house with one.

I was more referring to it being in polish ...

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by -KewlAzMe- View Post
    Why do you keep referring to the way TUT is to the way NB will be? TvG is a game of patience... But TvTvG doesn't have to be. nor does GvG.. nor does TvT...

TvG is just one gametype... and its still an open gametype. If done right, mappers have the control using UED and Kismet to make their own map a pseudo gametype... so if someone wants guard objectives on their maps.. feel free.. if someone else wants guards to be bored... then feel free as well. Its not one dimensional... expand your horizons! There is more than one kind of beer!
    tell me you srsly arent really asking me this? im speaking of TvG only.. ofc the gametype will be played same in NB as in TuT (reffering to that NB will be TvG)

from start when Thief was released and ppl were talking about how cool a Thief mp would be, everyone was ofc speaking about "TvG" .. like having TvT, TvTvG or just some other mod should imo not be categorized as "Thief" .. that would imo be some random stealthy fps, assassin game or whatever.. that is not Thief for me, and which i think, for many other ppl aswell.. i the seed of "Thievery" is that ppl is a fan of the "TvG" part nothing else..

Quote Originally Posted by LoUie View Post
    tell me you srsly arent really asking me this? im speaking of TvG only.. ofc the gametype will be played same in NB as in TuT (reffering to that NB will be TvG)

from start when Thief was released and ppl were talking about how cool a Thief mp would be, everyone was ofc speaking about "TvG" .. like having TvT, TvTvG or just some other mod should imo not be categorized as "Thief" .. that would imo be some random stealthy fps, assassin game or whatever.. that is not Thief for me, and which i think, for many other ppl aswell.. i the seed of "Thievery" is that ppl is a fan of the "TvG" part nothing else..
    If when people originally thought of thief MP before thievery came about, I think alot of them would not have thought of how the game thievery as how they would have liked to see the Mp environment. Quite alot of thief fans who tried thievery didn't like it because it wasn't stealthy enough or they were used to how they played Thief I.E really slow and stealthy without ever being seen. But the multiplayer dynamics with humans on thief and guard teams changed how the game played dramatically. Some adapted some didn't.

Noone is saying they aren't going to make the thief vs guard gametype and that that would probably be the main gametype, but maybe just maybe keep an open mind to new things.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    The addition of TvT play in whatever form will require giving thieves anti-thief capabilities, equipment and offensive weapons that would have no use in the traditional TvG environment, so I'm guessing that TvG will be the central focus atm.

Other than TvTvG, you could just have all thieves working solo against a diminished guard team. Thieves could have an enhanced ability to see other thieves and would strive to sabotage each others efforts. Could be a pub-game favorite as it doesn't involve as much teamwork and would be more chaotic.

Another option is a T&Gs v T&Gs loot capture-the-flag game-type, which I think lends itself perfectly to balanced competitive play.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostly apparition View Post
    If when people originally thought of thief MP before thievery came about, I think alot of them would not have thought of how the game thievery as how they would have liked to see the Mp environment. Quite alot of thief fans who tried thievery didn't like it because it wasn't stealthy enough or they were used to how they played Thief I.E really slow and stealthy without ever being seen. But the multiplayer dynamics with humans on thief and guard teams changed how the game played dramatically. Some adapted some didn't.

Noone is saying they aren't going to make the thief vs guard gametype and that that would probably be the main gametype, but maybe just maybe keep an open mind to new things.
    first off, im _always_ speaking about the main mod, always. side mods or extra mods is irrelevant atm imo, and yeah, NB will be TvG.

2nd of all.. i know why the "thief fans" didnt like thievery. they arent the multiplayer type or the hardcore gamer type, one of them.. thats why they dont like it, cause the gamestyle in Thief-SP wouldnt work in Thief-MP, they dont understand that.. MP has to be abit faster, and cold be played on very high skill. i understand them saying that TUT isnt stealthy enuff after trying it once or twice... when you udnerstand the game and can play it atleast quite good in multiplayer, THEN it becomes stealthy. so they are wrong.

Thread Information