Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TUT Ladder League

Registered
    Mar 2003

TUT Ladder League

I have a proposal for an ongoing public league, whereby teams play friendly style matches on public severs and report the results on these forums.

A ladder will be kept with each team's rating and win/loss record.

The idea is to promote casual competition on public servers and the formation of new thievery teams.

The proposed rules, format etc. will be contained within my next post. Please provide feedback and an indication of interest.

Unlike previous 'tournaments', a relaxed approach has been adopted to encourage a constant stream of matches. Participants are encouraged not to take the league overly-seriously, play as many games as possible - taking every opportunity to play ladder matches in the course of ordinary play on public servers.

In essence, I am hoping that ladder matches will more closely resemble public games then formal tournament confrontations.
    Last edited by TafferBoy; 21st Feb 2008 at 03:08 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2003

Rules:

Friendly matches should take place with mutual respect between the teams. Insults, chat spamming or any other provocative or antagonistic conduct should be strongly discouraged by fellow participants.
    It is difficult to make any ruling on the use of particular 'exploits' or 'tactics', but bear in mind that the dynamics of public games dictate that anything you choose to use, may in all fairness be used against you.

The only exceptions are as follows:

1.Players must abide by the rules of the server being used
    2.Players must click out if removed from the game (this means clicking out if there are no more lives to spawn into)
    3.Players must not engage in any form of dead-to-live chat when using an external voice chat program (such as teamspeak or ventrillo), this should be considered by players to be the same as using any other sort of third party program to cheat or hack.

Servers:

Public servers can be used, with the consent of the relevant server administrator and all players on the server not participating in the game.

Format:

Teams will agree on a map from the list provided - that map will be played twice.

In case of disagreement about which map to play, teams can:
    - Take it in turns to select maps from the map list.
    - Veto their opponent's first choice of map, but they must accept their second preference.

Teams will take it in turns to Guard and Thief the map. In case of disagreement, teams can flip for sides.

In the event of a 1-1 drawn:
    - if both sides thieve successfully, the team with the least deaths wins, if still a tie, the team that took the least amount of time to achieve the objectives will win the match.
    - if both sides guard successfully, the team that took the least amount of time to eliminate the thieves will win the match.

Games may be 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 etc. whatever is agreed to by the participants.

Reporting:

The results of games will be posted in the 'results thread' by a nominated participant.

Screen-shots must be provided before a result will be accepted, these can attached to posts or PM'd to me at these forums, Jpgs only.

In what I hope will be the unlikely event of a team wishing to contest a result, an appeal must be addressed to myself via PM to my forum account. Do not post anything on the forums or the appeal will be automatically dismissed, the matter is to be handled in private.

I will consult with the teams in question and make a ruling that I believe to be appropriate and fair in the circumstances.

Ladder:

A ladder will record the respective standings of the teams involved.

This ladder will be updated by myself whenever possible.

The ladder will be modeled on that used in 'Guild Wars'. All teams begin with 100 rating and gain +20 for a win and -10 for a loss. The amount of rating received or lost is adjusted by the difference between the respective guild ratings of the participating teams.

For example: a team with 200 rating that beats a team with 100 rating, will only get +10 for the win. However, if a team with 200 rating is beaten by a team with 100 rating, they will get -20 for the loss.

positive adjustment = 20 x (loser's rating / winner's rating)
    negative adjustment = 10 x (loser's rating / winner's rating)

Teams:

Teams must be registered in the allocated thread, with a name, tag and current list of members.

New players can be recruited at any time so long as they are added to the list.

Players may not be members of multiple teams.

To participate in a ladder match:
    - A minimum of 2 players must be listed for each team; and
    - A majority (more than 50%) of players must be listed for each team.

'Ringers' and 'team-less players' may be used to make up numbers, but players cannot play against their own team in a ladder match.

It is strongly suggested that teams involve both 'team-less players' and 'ringers' in matches to make up numbers

Map List:

Teams must play matches on the following maps for their results to be valid.

Maps may be added to this initial list after discussion on the forums reveals a consensus amongst participants for any particular map to be included.

The most current versions of each map must be used.

Aquatone
    Asylum
    Bourgeois
    Breakout-v3
    Darkened Enlightenment
    Flats
    Folly
    Gerome
    Grange
    HighwayInn
    Korman
    Nostalgia
    Skeltston Head
    Soulsharbour
    Spider
    Stronghold
    Theatre
    Warehouse
    Last edited by TafferBoy; 19th Apr 2008 at 11:35 PM.

It is a very nice idea, which I'll try to support. You made the rules to be quick, flexible, that's why I think it is going to work.

What about maps being excluded? Are you saying that we shall use fixed versions, for instance that of skeltstonhead(or is DEv2 the latest?)?

A similar match took place recently between TL and Tomcats, the TL refused to play 3rd round, which was required by the rules at that time, it is simply too time consuming, 2 rounds - excellent. What if both guard teams win on time?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Great idea.

Teamspeak usage is welcome, Gladius, give me a shout if you would like dedicated channels it's no problem.

On that, I would suggest that during matches a language decided by both teams be used on Teamspeak be used so that if in doubt a member of the opposing team can "sit in" the channel to moderate no dead to live chat.
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Machine

I'm hoping that ts/ventrillo moderating won't be necessary, it does make thinks a bit cumbersome.

But if allegations are raised against a particular team in dispute - I may request that machine's teamspeak be used so someone can monitor their channel, or that recordings be provided for someone to have a listen to.

FRH

At the moment, the latest version of the specific map listed - not asylum 2, not DE 2 etc.

If both guard teams win by time running out - we'll have to consider that a non-result.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Someone has fianlly got around to doing it - a casual competition that isn't a 2vs2 and isn't a full blown tourney. Good work.

I'll probably participate, but I don't think I'll be making a team - I'll float (unlike a dead whale)

Fix is for hire.
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

We may need you ...

TONITE. the thing is that I'll be left broadbandless for indefinite period of time due to moving, if anybody from the UK can provide some sort of advice I'd be delighted. We can drag to to PMs or I can start a thread in technical support.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Christ I moved house two weeks ago and had a right mare with my broadband. Just give me a shout on TS or something - I'll be around tonight.
    -YT

Registered
    Jun 2006
    Stealing The Map, And The Orange On Skelston Head
    This is a great idea, I would definatly participate, I like a little friendly competition

Rouge^..^
    Never Put Faith In Something You Can't Be Sure Of, It's Often Misplaced...

Nice idea. Heya Rogue, maybe we should team up ! It's good to see you back, Fix. And pity that you didn't make it to TOD - I was looking forward to play with you and JD . If you are still undecided I would like to offer you to play with me !

What about letting the teams draw. Draw would still provide points to the weaker team and substract them from the stronger one. That way you'd have no win rules based on odd measures.

You need to organise an initial match, the sooner the better, it may be of whatever quality just do it.

I am strongly for exclusion of Highway Inn from the map list, it's not official, it's not balanced, it's not made for TvG.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by TafferBoy View Post
    I'm hoping that ts/ventrillo moderating won't be necessary, it does make thinks a bit cumbersome.
    No, it would be a shame if it was required. As mentioned, if this picks up I can make dedicated channels for Thievery again.
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by LoUie View Post
    mach: leagues are no fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    PWAHAHA! thats the most worthless thing you've ever said mate!
    pssh pssh!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Fighting to survive in a war with the darkest power...
    Quote Originally Posted by FatRatHead View Post
    What about letting the teams draw. Draw would still provide points to the weaker team and substract them from the stronger one. That way you'd have no win rules based on odd measures.
    I am strongly for exclusion of Highway Inn from the map list, it's not official, it's not balanced, it's not made for TvG.
    I agree that in the event both teams have guard victories through time, a draw would be a reasonable idea.

I'm not sure why you dislike highway-inn, I remember some intense matches on it vs Crkz back in the day 3v3.
    Nightwarden,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "Earth dons the red; calls the maggots."

Sounds like a good time. I'm in.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    OMG Granks back after Rodent said the Crkz keyword!
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Tafferboy, not a good idea to display publicly your email addy. Spam bots, and the hooligans will eat that info for lunch. Do the PM route or have them email you on the forum. I'll remove the addy. :->

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Shall TuF enter a team?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'd proudly wear the TuF tag and participate. I just don't work well with hazardous materials... i.e YOU.
    -YT

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'm one of the reigning ToD champs. What is your list of accomplishments?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Turf war Champs - Depending on outcomes of discussions in teamspeak Bio
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Jun 2007
    On A large Island that spans 3,794,101 Square Miles
    I am in, Looks like we have a team going already.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
    I agree that in the event both teams have guard victories through time, a draw would be a reasonable idea.

I'm not sure why you dislike highway-inn, I remember some intense matches on it vs Crkz back in the day 3v3.
    I'm actually unconvinced about the merits of calling draws. It encourages thieving teams at both ends of the match to 'save out' their last life if all hope looks to be lost, and just lurk in a safe place until the guards win on time - rather than attempting to win. I can't think of an adequate solution right now, unfortunately, other than some way of playing the 3-round system which also has its own set of issues.

I also agree with Rodent about HighwayInn, it's a good map to play
    Nightmaster,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "until the cat is skinned"

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Thanks BA - I think PMs will be the way to go.

Remember that the map must be agreed upon by the teams, so if you don't like th-breakout for example, you have the choice not to play it.
    However, try to be accommodating of the other team's wishes. It may be a sensible idea to take turns in selecting a map.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Nice id tafferboy,too bad I'll not be around for 4 months.Would have loved to participate

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Thanks BA - I think PMs will be the way to go.

Remember that the map must be agreed upon by the teams, so if you don't like th-breakout for example, you have the choice not to play it.
    However, try to be accommodating of the other team's wishes. It may be a sensible idea to take turns in selecting a map.
    if both teams has to agree on a map the other team picks kinda kills the charm with the whole map list. the map list between two specific teams will be limited. i think they should take turns on picking maps. when team1 calls out their map, team2 has to agree and play it. otherwise the other team can just say no til they get a map they want. no, just go with the standards, everyone chooses their map. it may also be more fun if your opponents pick a map your team isnt too good at, so you'll have to go through it abit before you play your league match. thats my opinion.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I was hoping that teams could sort issues out between them, but if it proves to be a problem we can add some rules to cover the process.

The problem is that to make it fair you would have to play two matches, meaning four games and a max. 2 hours. It is not feasible to 'hijack' a public server for that period of time.

I suggest that teams agree to take turns picking the map each time they play a match, but I'm happy to leave that up to the teams themselves and just administer the results.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I was hoping that teams could sort issues out between them, but if it proves to be a problem we can add some rules to cover the process.

The problem is that to make it fair you would have to play two matches, meaning four games and a max. 2 hours. It is not feasible to 'hijack' a public server for that period of time.

I suggest that teams agree to take turns picking the map each time they play a match, but I'm happy to leave that up to the teams themselves and just administer the results.
    well, the teams will compromize and sort it out playing a map they both want, but that wasnt really the issue. i just mean that the map list will be limited.. in this case you'll end up playing maps you like/know very good more or less which will get kinda tedious imo (like public, where breakout, folly, stronghold for example never gets voted on). in this case all teams would just say no whenever a map they dislike gets called out. then no team can have their main map which they are stronger on compared to every other map.. IF that map is one of those. because of this rule, it doesnt mean you have to play 4 games. the other rules can be the same, only this "compromize" rule between teams shouldnt be there imo >.<

btw, i had another question. how will the teams look like? are we gonna play as the guild we're in? or just "mix" players up? would be cool going 50/50.. if a guild wanna be a guild in this league let them be? (not talking about mockers) and if some "Past ToD Champ"-team would like to enter as that, that would be totally awsome to!! XD example two tod teams, one mix team, one guild ^^

EDIT:
    the polish dudes might be better off having their guild if you know what i mean. "TL" or Bandits guild, whatever their guildname is, i dont remember..

and i sure would like to se a tod team or two in this league if possible..would be cool..

last but not least. i wanna be in shugs team >.<
    Last edited by LoUie; 21st Feb 2008 at 04:43 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Would be nice to just randomise the map somehow.

That's a great idea :O what doesn't mapvote randomise it if map doesn't get voted? (it may just pick another in it's maplist, I never cared enough to check), other than that we need a TRANSPARENT random map picker. That's why I'd wanted to exclude borderline maps a la highwayinn, experience will show.

Thread Information