Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: Alpha Release - 2008/03/29

  1. #1
    Member immortius's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NX128EZ061 - The main planet
    Posts
    3,117

    Alpha Release - 2008/03/29

    A new release is available from Nightblade's Testing Page. The changelog lists what has changed, but give a brief summary:

    - Changed doors so they don't block players when opening at full speed. They still block players when opened slowly, but don't push them out of the way. Doors also no longer push mines, whistlers, etc about.
    - Added a subtle night-vision effect. If you stay in the dark shadows become a little lighter, and if you stay in the light shadows become a little darker.
    - When you use an invisibility potion the screen loses some colour.
    - Fixed some issues with KOs.
    - Cleaned up some content packages.

  2. #2
    Added a subtle night-vision effect. If you stay in the dark shadows become a little lighter, and if you stay in the light shadows become a little darker.
    Just what ive always liked to see in Thievery, great stuff!

    Edit: I just played a few games for testing (Havent found anything yet), the best lightning for this feature (imo) is 4 or 5, it almost leaves a black shadow when in light and is pretty much good to see almost anything with in the dark!=D
    Last edited by HawK047; 28th Mar 2008 at 11:06 AM.

  3. #3
    Member Firetiger's Avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Above your head moving at high speed.
    Posts
    1,074
    That reminds me, would it be possible to make the flashbomb effect by artificially setting the camera exposure to some extreme low value? That'd be really cool.

    I wasn't sure it if was possible with uscript, but seeing the nightvision feature, I'm starting to wonder again.

    The guards with uber-dark-vision would have an increased effect when they're hit with a flashbomb, due to their eyes being adjusted to the dark and absorbing more light.
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

  4. #4
    That would indeed keep Gaurds more on their toes and out of the shadows

  5. #5
    But today is the 28th!

    - When you use an invisibility potion the screen loses some colour.

    What is this for? Some sort of counterbalance visual effect while you are "high" on the potion?
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

  6. #6
    Member Bandit's Avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2003
    Location
    20°59' E 53°34' N
    Posts
    508
    IMO flashbomb shouldn't make screen white but black or grey. White is bad for eyes etc.

  7. #7
    Member
    Registered
    Jul 2004
    Location
    [E.D.G]Chief
    Posts
    700
    But today is the 28th!
    Immortius' Location: NX128EZ061 - The main planet

    Galatic timezone differences. Though obviously an advanced race due to their use of UK date formats

    White is bad for eyes etc.
    But the eye is lazy and always attracted to white things, so a flash of white will always distract guards better than just reduced grey to black visibility.

    Also I think flashbombs should work like CSS flashbangs myself


    Though it seems to be all working, I get the following error:

    Ambiguous package name: Using C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\CustomEnvironments\NbScarab.upk' ,not 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\CustomGameplay\NBScarab.upk'

    Scarab still can be added to walls etc despite the message.

    Just so you know
    Last edited by ]>CoD<[Chief; 28th Mar 2008 at 12:01 PM.

  8. #8
    I agree with the flashbang idea.. i think there should be a deafening ringing in your ears as well as being blinded.. whether its black/white/grey/... how about red!
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

  9. #9
    Member immortius's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NX128EZ061 - The main planet
    Posts
    3,117
    Quote Originally Posted by -KewlAzMe- View Post
    What is this for? Some sort of counterbalance visual effect while you are "high" on the potion?
    Nothing so dramatic, just a secondary visual indicator that you are invisible.

    Also, timezones KAM.

    Quote Originally Posted by ]>CoD<[Chief View Post
    Though it seems to be all working, I get the following error:

    Ambiguous package name: Using C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\CustomEnvironments\NbScarab.upk' ,not 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\CustomGameplay\NBScarab.upk'

    Scarab still can be added to walls etc despite the message.

    Just so you know
    This would be a result of installing the latest alpha over the last alpha, as I moved the NbScarab package to a different directory. You can just delete the package under CustomEnvironment.

  10. #10
    Very nice work with the lighting, though the transition can look odd on some thievery surfaces, I bet it won't be an issue with later maps.

    I'll address some potential issues in the bug section.

    Edit: I'd rather fit this one in here: Carpets in certain parts of house in DE aren't carpets at all, this issue is present in numerous maps in Thievery, I hope it is unreplicable in Nightblade proper.
    Last edited by FatRatHead; 28th Mar 2008 at 04:58 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by immortius View Post
    Nothing so dramatic, just a secondary visual indicator that you are invisible.

    Also, timezones KAM.



    This would be a result of installing the latest alpha over the last alpha, as I moved the NbScarab package to a different directory. You can just delete the package under CustomEnvironment.
    Well it was 11:22AM for me.. I would think you'd have to be in Japan to get a 13hr difference on me.. but I'm no timezone expert. I thought you were in UK tho.. but I guess I'm wrong.
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

  12. #12
    Webmaster modetwo's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Location
    .no
    Posts
    5,059
    Quote Originally Posted by -KewlAzMe- View Post
    Well it was 11:22AM for me.. I would think you'd have to be in Japan to get a 13hr difference on me.. but I'm no timezone expert. I thought you were in UK tho.. but I guess I'm wrong.
    Or perhaps Australia.

  13. #13
    Member immortius's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NX128EZ061 - The main planet
    Posts
    3,117
    Well, my timezone is +10GMT, +1 for daylight savings. I posted this thread at 2:30am.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by mOdEtWo View Post
    Or perhaps Australia.
    According to the USA World Map.. there be only dragons there
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

  15. #15
    Member immortius's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NX128EZ061 - The main planet
    Posts
    3,117
    Quote Originally Posted by FatRatHead View Post
    Edit: I'd rather fit this one in here: Carpets in certain parts of house in DE aren't carpets at all, this issue is present in numerous maps in Thievery, I hope it is unreplicable in Nightblade proper.

    I'm afraid you need to clarify - in what way are these carpets not carpets?

  16. #16
    The carpets are solid/semi-solid polygons only, placed one pixel above the regular floor. Since they react like non-solid brushes (no collision) the walking sound is taken from the floor texture.

    Imo it's a slightly unclean level design technique, but it's not a bug. Also if you jump on a wooden floor in real, it doesn't matter you will still hear the wooden beams (like in Sk.Head).
    Last edited by Trapmaster; 20th Jan 2009 at 02:26 PM.

  17. #17
    Member Gullonefox's Avatar
    Registered
    May 2002
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapmaster View Post
    The carpets are solid/semi-solid polygons only, placed one pixel above the regular floor. Since they react like non-solid brushes (no collision) the walking sound is taken from the floor texture.

    Imo it's a slightly unclean level design technique, but it's not a bug. Also if you jump on a wooden floor in real, it doesn't matter you will still hear the wooden beams (like in Sk.Head).
    It stopped nasty BSP holes - back in the day. *Wipes away tear of nostalgia*

    DE was a nightmare of a map, had bap holes all over the place, almost half the map was removed - in the end what was left is the version as it was released. So many things had to be chopped down, including carpets - was a shame, and I totally agree.
    Chimp off the old Block

    Game Designer

  18. #18
    Member necros's Avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Yorkshire, The Land of Gods
    Posts
    1,412
    not being an unreal mapper, and finding the whole concept of primarily subtractive mapping extremely mind-boggling, i don't understand however, how simply using a seperate brush for the section of the floor that is carpeted would cause BSP holes?
    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullonefox View Post
    It stopped nasty BSP holes - back in the day. *Wipes away tear of nostalgia*

    DE was a nightmare of a map, had bap holes all over the place, almost half the map was removed - in the end what was left is the version as it was released. So many things had to be chopped down, including carpets - was a shame, and I totally agree.
    Pardon, I did not want to critisize you .

    Yes I saw it - It must have given you a real headache. I think you scaled most brushes, did you?

    I'm really excited to see DE2. Hope you are still working on it. It looks brilliant.

    Quote Originally Posted by necros View Post
    not being an unreal mapper, and finding the whole concept of primarily subtractive mapping extremely mind-boggling, i don't understand however, how simply using a seperate brush for the section of the floor that is carpeted would cause BSP holes?
    I think the same about Quake mapping, to me, the additive mapping concept is very confusing. I once mapped for Q1 but that BSPbuilder made textures look weired on medium to long distances.

    Placing single (semi-)solid polygon brushes is not very hygenic since they tend to react like non-solid polygons but might affect your BSP in a different way.
    Last edited by Trapmaster; 2nd Apr 2008 at 05:18 PM.

  20. #20
    Just want to inform to everyone that building levels around BSPs is the worst optimised way of doing things these days. I recommend learning to model and use static meshes as it's way faster performance wise and building times is way shorter. It's also way better looking.

    Terrain + Static Meshes = Win!

  21. #21
    Member
    Registered
    Jul 2004
    Location
    [E.D.G]Chief
    Posts
    700
    Though remember not to make huge single meshes but to chop 'em up if they're quite large.

  22. #22
    Member Gullonefox's Avatar
    Registered
    May 2002
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Just want to inform to everyone that building levels around BSPs is the worst optimised way of doing things these days. I recommend learning to model and use static meshes as it's way faster performance wise and building times is way shorter. It's also way better looking.

    Terrain + Static Meshes = Win!
    Oh yes - Modeling is the way forward - BSP = Archaic and highly painful, and to paraphrase, time consuming.

    Chief! I have the tinternet again!
    Chimp off the old Block

    Game Designer

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Just want to inform to everyone that building levels around BSPs is the worst optimised way of doing things these days. I recommend learning to model and use static meshes as it's way faster performance wise and building times is way shorter. It's also way better looking.

    Terrain + Static Meshes = Win!
    True. Also that one was for the TUT version because Fat stated that the carpets are not working properly.

  24. #24
    Member
    Registered
    Jul 2004
    Location
    [E.D.G]Chief
    Posts
    700
    Chief! I have the tinternet again!
    Good, you can get back to work on Underworld

    And stop hanging round night-blade

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapmaster View Post
    True. Also that one was for the TUT version because Fat stated that the carpets are not working properly.
    My reply wasn't exactly a response to the actual map but rather a general statement how things should be done today.

  26. #26
    Member
    Registered
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by immortius View Post
    Nothing so dramatic, just a secondary visual indicator that you are invisible.
    In fact if you really were invisible you wouldnt see at all since light would go through your retinas
    Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by MontyPython View Post
    In fact if you really were invisible you wouldnt see at all since light would go through your retinas
    quite the conundrum!
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Alpha Release - 2008/04/04
    By immortius in forum Forge of Shadows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10th Apr 2008, 04:21 PM
  2. Alpha Release - 2008/03/22
    By immortius in forum Forge of Shadows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th Mar 2008, 03:41 PM
  3. Alpha Release - 2008/03/15
    By immortius in forum Forge of Shadows
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17th Mar 2008, 03:23 PM
  4. Alpha Release - 2008/03/08
    By immortius in forum Forge of Shadows
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11th Mar 2008, 06:42 PM
  5. Alpha Release - 2008/03/02
    By immortius in forum Forge of Shadows
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 9th Mar 2008, 03:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •