Thread: Tournament Domination Prisoners of war (need feedback)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Tournament Domination Prisoners of war (need feedback)

Tournament idea, (Domination Prisoners of War)

1. Either use groups to make teams as usual, or divide the participants of this community into two groups randomly (which are better suited to the idea).
    2. The tournament rule and how it is won is the following, you capture enemy players by beating the opposition.
    Example: if the guard team or thief teams wins, (the set) (or the single match) than any player on the losing team, (for all future games unless the following game s/he is used and won back) is a POW to the enemy team should they be chosen by the winning team.
    To the point eventually the strongest group or team (if enough people join) dominates and captures all the oppositions players, leaving the other team so weak they canít put up a good enough fight with its roster or player amount (1 vs. 1 last match lol th-hanse), creating substitutes and a strain on the other team, this has to start with an even amount of players.
    3. Captain canít be chosen
    4. Matches are as and when people are able, with a high player amount should be piss.

Anyone?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Fairly good idea. The problem would be human nature...

What happens to the POW's? They have to play for the other team once picked? Or can't play at all or participate in this competition further?

If they played for the other team, then they could purposely play poorly or sabotage the game for 'their' team. Policing stopping that would be quite difficult too. I know if my team lost, and I was picked and had to play against my previous team, I wouldn't play with my heart in it....
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Registered
    Mar 2004
    If my team wins a game, and you’re on the losing team and I choose you, you then play for my team.
    If I play with you on my team in a future match, and I lose a set of matches of one round to the enemy team and you were on that team as well as whoever else, then all but the captain if s/he is playing can be chosen by the opposing team.

Random player drafting to begin with to help aid against favoritism and arsing about, it shouldn’t really come into it fixer to be honest, if people want to mess about on that openly displayed a level in that manner, the admin can step in, and a substitute can take their place and the match restarted.

Quote Originally Posted by FixXxeR View Post
    Or can't play at all or participate in this competition further?....
    How about the winning team can chose to end that players presence in the tournament or take them in.
    Last edited by industrialism; 1st Apr 2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: fix's idea

Registered
    Jan 2003
    IMHO, I still think it would be relatively easy to play poorly for a team you lost to, and now have to play for, undetected. Just play with no sound or something and you'd already be playing half best already.

Also drafting in another player because the one you picked clearly isn't playing the game properly really, destroys the point of capturing the POW's. If you capture the best player on the team you've beaten, you want them to play right or there is no point!

I think an elimination type tournament would work better like you've suggested. The winning team chooses to knock a player out of the tournament, or become their 'prisoner' but then that player can no longer take part in any of the tournament games, kind of like taking pieces on a chess board. This gives an inevitable end to the tournament as they'll be a clear winner when matches are no longer any challenge because the winning team has all the other teams players, or pieces if you like.

This gives me an idea for another tournament, similar to chess, where certain players are worth the equivalent to pieces on a chess board... but I can't think of the rules right now. Might post them when I'm bored.
    -YT

Registered
    Apr 2004
    I agree, forcing people into opposing teams will just cause people to either not show up or play half-assed.
    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by FixXxeR View Post
    IMHO, I still think it would be relatively easy to play poorly for a team you lost to, and now have to play for, undetected.
    Fixxxer does it all the time!

I suppose if teams were randomly chosen, you probably wouldn't care whose team you were on anyway, so switching over wouldn't likely be a major issue.
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Registered
    Jan 2003
    In an ideal world maybe. Pity.

A list is created of interested players and this list is divided into two, at random? Just wouldn't work - you'd have to much of a ruckus over this alone before any of the matches start, because the turnout would most likely be unbalanced. You'd only have to get two good players onto one of the sides and its tipped.

Something else needs to be thought of in terms of team rostering. Unfortunately as is the problem with most tournament ideas.

What about adding a twist to this game anyway then...

Like the idea mentioned before about knocking players out of the tournament - make it so the players are worth points, depending on the amount of matches they have played in? So once you've defeated Industrailisms team and Indus has played in 4 matches (won or lost, just survived 4 official games) you pick to knock out Indus and gain 4 points! Maybe its an over complication but wth.
    -YT

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I really don’t see why a random drafted team will have players playing half arsed, or sabotaging there team for friends on another, you into that kind of thing?.
    It sounds rather stupid and to be honest the captains will be choosing the teams and accounting for a lot, that display of play doesn’t come into this at all, in fact stating it does rather shoots the idea of a fun event down before it started, so thanks for outlining it there, always one.

I need a show of hands (to the thievery players in this community) if you are interested in participating in a loose tournament, scheduled as and when people can make it. so please reply in this thread whether you would like to play or not and whether or not you would be able and want to be a captain, and depending on players we could have more than one team, maybe three, I just want to see how well the chosen rosters can compete given their circumstances, and how captains will play this out.

I’m thinking or proceeding with the idea should there be enough show of hands then we can finalize and debate rules, but there pretty much already outlined.

As far as “ruckus” I think everybody can understand a captains situation and decision but once teams are posted for matches people will perhaps be openly debating in the forum the outcome and we could have quite an involvement, I’d just prefer it if people wouldn’t bring the sabotage shit into it, rules, well picked teams, and the fact were playing for the love of the game and trying to just organize something interesting with the twist of ending a players presence in the tournament or taking them for their team to help in future matches, how about we just play it out and see what happens?

Brody can we use your back garden?

Quote Originally Posted by industrialism
    how about we just play it out and see what happens?
    The whole thing boils down to that, you could pay the freakin players to do that and they still wouldn't give a pigeon mousse.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    The title of the thread is
    Tournament Domination Prisoners of war (need feedback)
    but I'm a bit of a realist and can see a few holes in this.

The loose tournament rules you've made are so loose it might as well be a public match.

It's a no from me.
    -YT

Registered
    Mar 2003
    join my league ><

I tried to, it's that nobody that's in already cares.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Team up yoff? (frh)

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Don't really play at the same time as 'unteamwork' as far as I can tell, makes it hard to get that first game happening. Although I have been inactive for a bit.

Europe or American teams shouldn't have this problem.

Thread Information