Thread: Penumbra: Requiem

Registered
    Apr 2005

Penumbra: Requiem

Penumbra: Requiem is an expansion for the horror game Penumbra: Black Plague and takes off where the last game ended. Requiem sees Philip, the game protagonist, falling deeper into madness and has to fight inner demons as well as outer ones.

Developers Site

Penumbra: Requiem is to be considered an epilogue to Penumbra: Black Plague and not as a new episode in the Penumbra series. The main goal with Penumbra: Requiem has been to focus more on the physics puzzles and to see how far the current game engine could be pushed. This has made Requiem into a game that focuses more on gameplay and puzzles than the previous Penumbra instalments and a game that is more experimental in nature.

Although having a strong emphasis on puzzles the game still features a dense atmosphere, a trade mark of the Penumbra series. In Penumbra: Overture the goal was to induce strong fears from isolation, in Black Plague a main theme was paranoia and in Requiem you'll find a nightmarish and feverish atmosphere.
    Penumbra: Requiem is an attempt to deliver a fresh and rewarding experience and not just some rehash of previous material.
    More Penumbra goodness in the form of an expansion pack. This means Penumbra: Black Plague is needed for this to work.

Whenever I get back from holiday, I shall buy it and give it a whirl.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    It was the least of the three, IMO; I somewhat regret buying it. No physics puzzles that you haven't seen before.

Registered
    May 2004
    Loved the atmosphere of Overture & especially Black Plage, definitely getting this.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    There's a sewer level.

To be fair, there are a couple cool levels, as well. The last physics puzzle is pretty broken. I do like that, though this one's pretty linear, there are a at least a couple different ways to do it. Someone of them seem like they weren't intended, tho, as the game will only autosave if you do them the 'right' way, lol?

Registered
    May 2004
    Sounds weird Moses, like they didn't do much playtesting.

I also like to think that you're doing something good by supporting small "indie" developers. Love the fact that there still are alternatives when the average videogame budget has grown ridiculously. Big productions are great too (addicted to CoD 4 atm), but penumbra show that so much can be done with so little. Not that coding a 3D game engine with neat physics and all can be an easy task.
    Last edited by fluffy; 8th Sep 2008 at 04:12 PM.

I really enjoyed the first episode but I've played the second one a couple of times now and I keep getting bored at the bit where the zombies chase you around the corridors. The story seems less compelling as well and I think a large part of that is that I'm always just a few moments too late to actually meet up with anyone still living/sane and it becomes tedious. I'd rather it be a mix of sane and crazy (even if the sanes get killed off after I've met them) or all crazy/dead and it happened a while ago.

From a player point of view I know that I'm being led through a series of hoops and it spoils the fun.

Thread Information