Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. discussion and mods

Registered
    Oct 2004

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. discussion and mods

In related news, I've become much enamored of the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which, this time around, I'm playing with a decent card, patches, and the Oblivion Lost (and other) mod(s). It's one the best FPSes I've played, and it gets more interesting (which is to say: atmosFEARic) than I expected, mid-game. There's a whole bunch of realism with the weapons...contraposed with the rest of the scenario. Also, you can get one of these. I'd recommend it to anyone who missed out the first time around. )

Registered
    Jan 2003
    The VSS is indeed the best weapon in the game. Quickly settled on that during my first run through

I can't believe how negative the reaction was to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - though I got kind of lucky, it only crashed twice during the whole game on my system after I turned off a lot of the shaders they bolted on to it later.

It's one of the most incredibly atmospheric FPSes I've played. Bits of it had the same effect on me as the Shalebridge Cradle, in that I didn't want to go through doors because I was worried about what i'd find on the other side.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Machines think to much for us. Im a complete calculator zombie already >.<

And yes Stalker is way awesome. Try the AMK Mod and its weather addon plus the improved shaders of Float 32 for complete Stalker orgasmorama.

Unfortunately i lost most of my bestest pics in a recent reinstall but theres some showcasing some features of AMK including Stalkers not dying in barrels (meaning Wolf can be quite alive for some time unless the new monster zergs containing up to 10 pseudodogs get him), blowouts throughout the Zone you gotta take cover from (directly standing at the window in the Cordon bandit place there, getting a nice radiation sunburn in the face), nights which dont look like cloudy evenings anymore (downside : unless you got the better nightvision you cant see shit, but the AI still can), and a messaging system where Stalkers tell whats happening around the Zone (PS : Yes thats the Bes from the Garbage Carpark, wandered into Dark Valley due to the AI changes. And i had to kill him because he took sides with the Gauss rifle scammer). You will also notice some HUD changes (wearing Exosuit in the last one but theres more for other armors. And it has breathing effects too). And some new Artifacts you can even cook up yourself, some are pretty imba but then again the mod makes stuff way way more harder.

EDIT : AMK Features list (outdated dl links, use the others above), before you download the cat in the bag :s
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Schleicher; 8th Sep 2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: _

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachimir View Post
    The VSS is indeed the best weapon in the game. Quickly settled on that during my first run through
    The VSS is weakest at short-to-medium range, however, due to piss-poor precision when firing from the hip and having a rather high-zoom level on the scope. =\ Therefor, I don't tend to use it indoors. I almost prefer the AS Val, as its handling makes it better at mixed ranges.

I'm boycotting some of the guns in the game like the G36k and the FN F2000 for being unrealistically damaging, btw. I don't know crazy much about gunz, but I do suspect that two guns that are both gas-action and chamber the same round should do approximately the same damage. Also, I think I'm going to boycott sound-suppressors on guns which shoot only supersonic rounds, cuz that's whack.

I'm using the Oblivion Lost Weather Overhaul with the mod for four purchasable anomoly detectors, much harder to see anomolies, improved inventory, groovy hippy-flavored AN-94 Abakan skin, and some others. The Oblivion Lost thing is the Big compilation of fixes including a faction game after the main story, the AMK pack, the best weapon mods people've made, and more.

Tried both the Freedom exosuit and the Skat-10 uniform. The former lets you use ridiculous guns but disables sprint, but the latter's slightly better armor and has digital NV signal processing. I chose the latter. The MG3's not meant to be used while mobile...and it shows.

Oh, and yeah...those blowouts are quite a spectacle, but perhaps not so much as this.
    Last edited by Moses2k; 7th Sep 2008 at 08:48 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I acquired Stalker some months back, and after a couple of hours of vanilla gameplay, I wanted something more... Ended up installing Oblivion Lost (2.0, I think) and yes, I enjoyed it. I'm not sure how much of what occurred to me in-game was because of the mod, but I had some pretty thrilling moments. The world seemed nicely alive and dynamic, instead of just scripted scenes there's a bunch of random stuff going on all the time. There was a sequence at the starter village where I had to endure a blowout which was followed by a mutant rush and then a surprise army assault (which I escaped by driving my vehicle into an anomaly which threw me high in the air)... Just awesome. I think I played on the hardest difficulty, and it sure keeps the atmosphere nice

The dark nights were a time to be truly afraid (until decent NV goggles at least) and I usually scheduled my trips out in the wilds according to daylight. Some of the horror moments were absolutely wonderful, some of the creatures are just...

I lost the spark for a bit after I followed the quests a bit too early to the hm, supposed end-place and then found out in there that a) I don't have even remotely effective equipment with me b) I can't go back? I ended up reverting to a previous save, losing precious hours and hours of survival scavenger gameplay. Maybe I'll continue it again after a while...
    My cats are black! How about yours?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Is the Oblivion Lost the only recommended mod?

(Yes, I'm being lazy but where should I download the Oblivion Lost mod?)

Registered
    May 2004
    I'm excited about trying the Oblivion Lost mods, thanks for sharing your experiences. I also found a few enthusiastic posts in an old thread regarding the story. To be honest I had a hard time following the unconventional narrative and gave up reading / listening properly after a while. I assumed they had thrown some random bits of story in there for the sake of it, and cut much of it out just like they did with many technical features promised. I kinda hoped there would be more focus on desolation, horror and exploring too. Turns out that around every corner someone wants you dead, but not too many mutants, it felt overpopulated by humans.

Sure, the atmosphere was definitely there and I enjoyed parts of it. Guess playing it with DX9 and dynamic lighting makes it much more intense though.

Lol! Can't believe I missed this thread after doing an almost wholehearted attempt with the forum search btw.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    By strange coincidence I bought STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl today. Have yet to play it. I bought it on Steam though. Can I use the Oblivion Lost mod with that?
    I think I can love you
    Let's facwe the future together

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Ive been a happy camper with AMK (where to get, see above) for quite some time.

PS : 12 hour Corpse purge option included in the last patch could fuck the game up possibly, to be on the safe side untick it in install options. Also the weather mod needs to be installed after Float.

If youre russian, get the newest one here
    Last edited by Schleicher; 8th Sep 2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Comrade Zangief, you have made your country proud

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carth View Post
    By strange coincidence I bought STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl today. Have yet to play it. I bought it on Steam though. Can I use the Oblivion Lost mod with that?
    http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Ob...erhauled;93449
    (installers complicated...feel free to Skype or PM me if the readme's insufficient)

http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Le...Overhaul;93553

http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Co...hiyochan;79052

Those are the ones you'll be wanting.
    Last edited by Moses2k; 9th Sep 2008 at 01:54 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I did Stalker all the way through about 6 months ago, great game, had a fallout -esc feel to it in some places. In spite of all the flaws, and there were many, many flaws it was a truly enjoyable experience with many memorable parts.

I remember seeing Pripyat in a documentary series shortly after playing the game, the landscapes they showed even down to some of the insides of buildings where fantasticly similar!

Going into the power station very much reminded me of the part on Fallout 1 where you first enter "The Glow", I knew I didn't have much time because of the radiation, and I was terrified about what I would find in there!
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Well, if this isn't the cat's own topical.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    This one's my new favorite thing. Notice the weapons in the second screenie!

Registered
    Jun 2004
    There are a lot of things that annoy me about this game, but overall I think it just lacks polish.
    I think I can love you
    Let's facwe the future together

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Plenty of Ukrainians though..
    (boom boom)
    ..it's safer here.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I decided to start over with the upgraded mods (using those in Moses' post, sans the anime chef one whatever)... Silly question: Any way I can verify that all my mods are running? Oblivion Lost 2.2 is working and the weather one since the sunsets just look even better now... on the sharper textures one, I'm not sure (since it's been a while since I played this so no before/after-vision).

I'm thinking the very slight motion blur I keep seeing now and then is by the Sky4CE mod (used the 2.0 one as it's updated)... but the inventory one at least isn't working. I should have sufficient resolution in the settings (1280x1024) but nope, it just doesn't do anything. Unless there was something more to it's installation than just "dump the gamedata in the gamedata after installing Oblivion Lost".

So, umm... any console command that would reveal to me what addons it has loaded? I tried peeking through the console messages on startup but I didn't really understand too much, although there's a bunch of red error messages which *might* have to do with the Sky4CE mod directory.

Also, was it *this* dark last time? I'm thinking the "darker" setting in the Weather mod means "pull a bag over your head even during daytime".

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Clear Sky so far left me..indifferent so i restarted a game of SoC, blabla, have some pictars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucchus View Post
    I'm thinking the very slight motion blur I keep seeing now and then is by the Sky4CE mod (used the 2.0 one as it's updated)... but the inventory one at least isn't working. I should have sufficient resolution in the settings (1280x1024) but nope, it just doesn't do anything. Unless there was something more to it's installation than just "dump the gamedata in the gamedata after installing Oblivion Lost".
    The inv one might only be for widescreen. Sky4CE RC3's supposedly the best, but 1.87 or whatever's more stable.

Darkness normal made nights fairly realistic, I think.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Someone with more stalker experience than me(Harr harr innuendo) recommends Float32. As far as I can tell it optimizes the game for lower spec rigs.

I just got stalker today, and the oblivion lost mod and will try it out.

Can anyone else recommend some mods?
    Last edited by DiP; 16th Sep 2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Oh, Shclieineinerninier said Float32 already:-/

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Tried launching STALKER after installing a few mods and managed to slowly break the entire game. I reinstalled and now with a clean install, everytime I try to launch the game I am greeted with this error message
    Code:
    Expression    : fatal error
    Function      : CInifile::r_section
    File          : E:\stalker\sources\trunk\xrCore\Xr_ini.cpp
    Line          : 342
    Description   : <no expression>
    Arguments     : Can't open section 'weapon_probability'
    Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Also Stalker isn't even on drive E...no wonder it "can't find it".

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Launch the game with the start.cmd?

Try running it in various stages of being modded. Start with a fresh install.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    This is a fresh install, and I get this error.

I bought it using steam, so I can't start it via cmd, and doing a fresh install is a bit of a pain.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Make sure you patched latest; check/post on Steam forums re: the prob.

Registered
    Sep 2004
    Or the Stalker forums, if you'd rather not adventure onto the Steam ones.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...-E-R-Clear-Sky

And don't forget http://stalker.filefront.com if you want the game to be both playable and fun.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Problem is i cant find the damn game anywhere in the area. For some reason the shops didnt bother getting stock for it. Maybe its a good thing though, gives the devs some time to fix the bugs and stuff.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    I have no doubt that ShoC is far the better of the two games, mind you; I don't recall if you've said you've played it. It's better for reasons of atmosphere and number of underground and interior areas.

Oh, and regarding CS, I can't decide which level was lamer: the last level or the second to last? The last was more broken, as, after quickloads, my target would changes places, all disappeary and shut. One time, he warped his ass over to the ground next to the edge of the map, real far-away like.

Registered
    Oct 2004

Registered
    Mar 2004
    For those in the know, it just got even better. OL2.2 + most of the Stalker Complete 2009 + extra pretty things in one handy package. Time for the 3rd playthrough...

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Man, i installed Clear Sky and havent touched it since. Game is just to difficult getting into.

Thread Information