Thread: aeria games: Project Torque, Twelve Sky

aeria games: Project Torque, Twelve Sky

Spinning off from my ijji.com games thread about Drift City and Gunz online.. There is also another free MMO game site out there that seems to be the yin to ijji's yang.

http://www.aeriagames.com

Aeria Games seems to offer a similar array of MMO games, including a racing game called Project Torque.

For those of you that didn't care for Drift City's "cartoony, arcade-style" of driving and drifting, might much more prefer Project Torque for its realistic renders and real life physics.

Machine, BigD, Hybrid.. I'm lookin at you

Currently Chief, Monty Python, and myself have just started playing it and it seems to be a growing trend so I figured I'd throw it out there for others.

Gameplay Movie

There is also a Martial Arts MMORPG that looks interesting called Twelve Sky.
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I would recommend Gold Slam and Dreamlords, but they both have serious flaws at the moment.

Once you reach a higher rank in Gold Slam, you're unable to join the lower-level channels and games. So maybe GunZ and Gunbound have similar systems to stop experts from beating up newbies, but they also have playerbases of thousands.

Dreamlords PvP doesn't agree well with my playing to win outlook.

Okay, Dreamlords... Imagine you're playing Counter-Strike, okay? You're the last terrorist, and the CT team hasn't taken any losses. You plant the bomb and die valiantly defending it. The bomb explodes because the CTs run away scared. You win, right? WRONG! The bomb went off, but you lost your team in the process. You lose.

Imagine you're playing Starcraft. Your opponent is really pro at turtling, but you're pro at expansion and controlling the map's resources. They're defending their base 300 Spartans-style, but because you have more resources, you eventually take them down and win, right? WRONG! He might have lost his base in the end, but his kill:death ratio was way better than yours. You lose.

How about World in Conflict? Your opponents think they're so clever by having 8 Air players and they just maim you with powerful helicopters. With your 8 Ground players, you get beat up a lot (because Ground is nigh-helpless against Air), but you do manage to capture all the command points and fill up the Domination Bar in your favor, thus winning, right? WRONG! The other team got way more kills and enemy-damage points than you. You lose.

That's Dreamlords.
    Last edited by Hybrid; 17th Sep 2008 at 05:28 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    So basically Dreamlords uses score to determine wins rather than objectives? That's a fairly, ah, unique way of doing it.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    A little more abstract. More like the Victory Locations (during the battles) and "winning" don't matter one bit, but if you can annihilate the enemy's army, they aren't going to bother you for the rest of the day (as you merrily take over land).

It rather eliminates the "Tactics" part of the battles and turns them into "Let's mindlessly use our strongest units until one of us runs out of reinforcements or gives up (because there's no penalty for losing)."

Maybe I'm just biased. I had a perfect PvP record before I stopped playing, but my last two wins... weren't.
    Last edited by Hybrid; 17th Sep 2008 at 06:58 PM.

^^ lol i was more pushing the racing games than more run-of-the-mill wizards and ogre MMOs.

Tho the Tennis one looks pretty cool
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Very well then. Tell us more of these run-of-the-mill MMO's. I like to simultaneously play as many as possible.

Thread Information