Thread: openSuse 11: Update or change?

openSuse 11: Update or change?

I don't like long posts, so...
    I've been using open suse in my home PC (10.3 lately) for some time. With new version 11.0 I plan to update to it. Any objections from people that have used it? I have worked with a previous version of Ubuntu in another PC and it was ok. I mostly do typical stuff, like office, browsing and basic java development, in linux. Any other views on the matter? (I don't care about the critisism against Novell)
    Thanks

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I have tested Open Suse 11 briefly and liked it. Much has been improoved since the last 10 version. The installation is way quicker, lots of repossitories are already selectable. However you need to install some codects. There is help on the community site where you can download an complete codec installer.

I must addmit that I dont use linux at home but only on servers at work. So I cant 100% say if everything what you need is already included but I guess its totaly worth the upgrade :-)

Regards
    Felix
    Last edited by Felix; 30th Sep 2008 at 02:33 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I found with openSuse 10.3, after a few repositories get added to the list, it slowed any installation to a hault, taking 15 minutes to install one thing. Maybe it was just those repositories in particular...

I am currently on Fedora 9 and haven't had the problem I had in Suse. Although it doesn't come with KDE 3

Thanks Felix and DIP.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    <insert 10 cups of ubuntu here>
    debian yay.
    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thread Information