Thread: free Steam mods

Registered
    Sep 2004

free Steam mods

Just in case anyone hasn't heard, about 2 weeks ago Steam launched a new download section offering third-party source mods. All mods are free if as long as you already own a source-based product (HL2, CS:S, DoD:S, etc.) I recommend checking out Zombie Panic and D.I.P.R.I.P.

In Zombie Panic a human team tries to survive the zombie invasion, and the zombie team tries to eat the humans' brains. Gameplay is pretty straight forward with a quick learning curve, but it actually takes quite a bit of teamwork and coordination to do well. There are also objective missions that guide the human team through a series of tasks while the zombies do what they do best - eat brains. The objectives can be can be pretty confusing for the newcomer though. A nice feature is that when you die as a human you respawn as a zombie, so there's no sitting around waiting for the next round to play again. (Zombie Panic has been discussed before, but it's been awhile and the mod has probably improved since then.)

D.I.P.R.I.P. is like Twisted Metal brought to Source but with objectives - capture the flag, bomb target, or TDM. Players drive cars around an arena firing guns, missles, and mortars at each other while grabbing power-ups and zipping around with turbos. The action gets pretty intense and there's a bit of skill to be developed for driving, shooting, avoiding enemy fire, etc. I loved the old Twisted Metal series and I've been having a lot of fun with D.I.P.R.I.P. (stupid name though...it stands for Die In Pain Rest In Peace )

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I didnt find zombie panic to be much fun, it didnt feel half as dynamic as the UT2004 version. Just felt like i was back in the seat of doom 3 SP.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    A few of us are on Zombie Master and Insurgency at the moment, feel free to join in, I think we're all in the black-cat steam group.

For all games we'll be on Mumble (attempting) to co-ordinate our assault!
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Anyone tried Synergy? What's it like? What can you play through? Are there many servers or is it more of a play with a friend on your own server kind of game?
    I think I can love you
    Let's facwe the future together

Registered
    Apr 2004
    No Dystopia.
    No Pirates, Vikings and Knights 2.

Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Registered
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carth View Post
    Anyone tried Synergy? What's it like? What can you play through? Are there many servers or is it more of a play with a friend on your own server kind of game?
    I did. I think they have the whole HL2 campaign. There were quite a few servers up, if I remember correctly. I don't think they changed much in any of the maps.

I remember Baz got my hoverboat stuck outside of the bsp and I had to suicide to get back.

Quote Originally Posted by necros View Post
    No Dystopia.
    No Pirates, Vikings and Knights 2.

No Natural Selection either

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I blame Apone.
    ..it's safer here.

Registered
    Sep 2004
    They only just opened up the Steam group two weeks ago. There were only 4 mods on the debut, so obviously they've been adding content, and I'll bet they will continue adding content [just like every other Steam group ].

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Synergy we tried and seemed very buggy at the time (6+ Months ago).

Insurgency was a hit with our lot last night and will likely be a game we play frequently on the coming Monday / Thursday evenings. Join up
    ~TuF~

Zombie Panic feels like it could be fun but almost every round ends up unbalanced, usually IMHO because the playerlimit on the majority of servers is too high.

Synergy I haven't tried yet but I played it a few months ago and all the servers I joined were stuck on a level with no way to progress. I'm willing to try it again although I believe it is still missing any difficulty scaling so it becomes boring due to any lack of challenge.

DIPRIP is so-so. It would probably be fun to play together as a team as most opponents are uncoordinated but nothing about the game shines out particularly.

Insurgency is 'another bloody army game' which I generally hate playing but it's actually lots of fun. The pacing is done well and it's possible to pick up very quickly, the mod is also very polished and enjoyable to play. Check Mach's link if you fancy joining us for some rounds on it (you don't need to register on our forums to read them).

There are quite a few mods 'missing' from this first salvo but hopefully Valve will be adding more on a regular basis, having them update automatically makes me much more likely to try them out or have them ready to play.

Registered
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaws View Post
    Zombie Panic feels like it could be fun but almost every round ends up unbalanced...
    Yeah zombies win almost every round - eventually - but it doesn't bother me at all. If you think humans should survive more often then you need to watch more classic zombie movies.

If you adhere to strict rules of "gameplay theory" then, yes, teams should be more "equal." But the benefit of death by a zombie is life after death [or in gameplay terms being able to keep playing for the rest of the round.]

Thread Information