Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lightfoot
    • Oct 2005

The mutator is not completely free of glitches, but it works alright, and didn't crash Felix's server even once, as he said.

Well, I must say that I am a bit disappointed about the meagre reaction. It took us three months to get this ready, believe it or not. Sofos did some ingenious work, and we others did what we can to help. While testing, we had more fun than we had for a long time.

I have complained about complaining, but now it is my turn. I had hoped for something else.

We had some more AS projects in the works, but if no one plays this, if no one likes it, if no one has ideas how it could be improved, if no one even feels that the best since the invention of sliced bread EFR is worth an answer, then for whom?

Where are the swarmers when you need them?

Comment

• Legend_Warrior
      • Jun 2008

oh about some ideas, I was thinking some time ago if we can create our own character or modifie the originals
      it will be funny, but its just a suggestion.
      and i know its kinda impossible
      bleach forever!!!

Comment

• Xenomorph
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by lightfoot View Post
        We had some more AS projects in the works, but if no one plays this, if no one likes it, if no one has ideas how it could be improved, if no one even feels that the best since the invention of sliced bread EFR is worth an answer, then for whom?

Well, if you notice, it's not just the servers with the options mutator thats empty, its the entirety of alien swarm. I come on the check the servers see if anyone else is on every day, but guess what? No-one had been on in my time zone in about 2 weeks. I fear people have stopped playing alien swarm.

As for the mutator, I think it is excellent, as it provides more varied gameplay and more options to change it from being the same usual 'I know there is a para there because I play this map a lot and know the spawns, ill just flame before it sees me' stuff. The thing is, this mutator livens alien swarm up if you ask me. I am always moaning of the same maps, same variations and same cameras. I know every single spawn on cleanup2, and I know the aliens that spawn from it, with this mutator, it might be a hard multiply alien, which may cause me to actually have some fun trying to stay alive instead of running in, flaming, running out. To be honest, this is a good mutator, however, I still think there should be new maps.

PS: I like holdout extreme without flamers, ags and shotgun
        I solod LC on insane with a perf...I lost the demo
        Williams Has Been Infested.
        Williams has been killed by Jaeger (kjk).
        (I killed Williams with a flamer!)

Comment

• Felix
          • Apr 2006

I tell you what I do when I want to play AlienSwarm:

I check the servers. If it's empty then I write an email to my friends in the community or sent them a message over skype or steam.

That has prooved most effective.

In the past we have already scheduled games ahead.

Once a server has three or more players online others join aswell, so that sometimes 8 slots are not enough.

Try to bind a personal relation to the others and stay in direct contact.
          www.alienswarm.de | [email protected]
          http://steamcommunity.com/groups/alienswarmde

Comment

• DarkLord75
            • Mar 2005

I already said this, but I like repeating myself. AS is dieing, slowly, but surely. I can count with the fingers of one hand the new players that actually stay. Some pop in, and they either get scared of the learning curve, they dislike the community, or they simply box themselves into private servers, or LAN parties.

Me, and the rest of this "meager" community thank you and the Options Mutator team for their hard work.
            "Spera: Ooh! Ooh! You hear that? A bird singing out amidst our desolation. It's a miracle. The miracle called supper."

--Lucifer #28, Breaking & Entering

Comment

• Xenomorph
              • Jul 2008

I have noticed that some of the 'oldies' don't play as much anymore. Correct me if I am wrong or if they are in a different timezone, but everyone in AP and most people in Sgt. have disappeared from swarm altogether, also, Moses plays less often I have noticed and I have seen Monstermunch like once in the last 4 months. What there needs to be to make loads of old swarmers come back and maybe get some new ones, is maybe a new campaign, or advertise the release of the options mutator with a new camp on other gaming sites. Options has huge potential if people actually play alien swarm anymore. Sometimes, (and I have been moaned at for this), I go on a server and minimise alien swarm and check every 5- 10 minutes if anyone else is on. People are more likely to join if they see another play on. No-one likes to play alone.

Comment

• sofos
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by lightfoot View Post
                Well, I must say that I am a bit disappointed about the meagre reaction. It took us three months to get this ready, believe it or not. Sofos did some ingenious work, and we others did what we can to help. While testing, we had more fun than we had for a long time.
                Well, I don't feel bad about it, ok the reaction wasn't that big, but I am happy (excited ) with what it was achieved in the mutator. (like one hack every ~50 lines of code ). Even better it helped me a lot to improve my coding skills (in C++/Java too) and to create a solid knowledge of Unreal Script, which no matter how much UT3 has let us down, will be useful again I believe someday.....

And of course let's not forget testing and talking with LF and the rest of the team, which is always so much fun

@Felix: Sorry, but I never stay late in night with the pc open, and thus I never join the game.
                @Darklord: Thanks again.
                @Legend_Warrior: Impossible is nothing. 2-3 month ago, I would try it, but now
                @Xenomorph: I am not sure that would help, but no matter what I cannot help you there, however there are many unfinished maps, that mappers have announcer but never got released.
                Antikythera mechanism
                KISSSSSS

Comment

• Legend_Warrior
                  • Jun 2008

That's true, no1 is playing about a good time ago. and when I want to play no1 is there... that's beginning to scary me that everyone is getting tired of alien swarm.

I don't want to be a killjoy but it's true.
                  That's becoming sad...
                  bleach forever!!!

Comment

• Felix
                    • Apr 2006

dont forget there is a L4Dead hipe at the moment. After playing L4Dead for a few hours, AS realy feels a bit easy and boring now
                    (Cause we are all so awesome in it already )
                    The mutator is great cause you can finaly set up a server the way you want it but it's still the same game/maps.

It's still good to relax between games.

I realy hope that rumors are right and AS:I will come out once L4Dead is on the market for a while. People will come back to it.
                    Even now we all play with the same people. I never need to connect to a public lobby but play with my friends AS friends. I am pretty sure we all will play AS:I too

The community is not left for dead, it's just taking a vacation from AS
                    www.alienswarm.de | [email protected]
                    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/alienswarmde

Comment

• Xenomorph
                      • Jul 2008

I don't have Half-Life 2 so I couldnt play AS:I. Is L4Dead a mod or a full game? If it's a mod, what game is it for?

Comment

• sofos
                        • Mar 2006

Both of them are full games.
                        Last edited by sofos; 14 Nov 2008, 05:51 AM.
                        Antikythera mechanism
                        KISSSSSS

Comment

• Hybrid
                          • Jan 2003

Haha, that's funny. After all this time, some people still think that AS:I and Left 4 Dead are full games.

Comment

• Legend_Warrior
                            • Jun 2008

Are you saying that l4d and AS:I aren't full games!?!?

and if its that what we need to play AS:I and l4d??
                            bleach forever!!!

Comment

• Xenomorph
                              • Jul 2008

If AS:I I have heard rumours of either UT3 or HL2

Comment

• Baz
                                • Jan 2005

..it's safer here.

Comment

Working...
                                X