Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inq
    • May 2008

Most of the time sequels are quite a bit worse than the original though, which given the high expectations, makes them seem "much" worse.
    That's not actually true for games. For movies, books and whatever, it's usually the case. However, as games are still advancing all the time and often have no plots to outdo (at least not good plots), often sequels are better than the originals.
    http://rjanes.co.uk
    http://www.rpg-palace.com/

Comment

• Carth
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Inq View Post
      That's not actually true for games. For movies, books and whatever, it's usually the case. However, as games are still advancing all the time and often have no plots to outdo (at least not good plots), often sequels are better than the originals.
      I don't think so. Better graphics don't mean it's a better game for me. Usually the gameplay of the original is superior.

Comment

• Bandit
        • Nov 2003

You really hit the nail on the head with that statement.
        Maybe TUT is old and has worse graphic but it still has big potential. You can make it to look better and making maps I so much easier in UED 2.0 than in newer editors where you have to learn other 3D editors like 3dsmax, maya, blender etc. IMO making mods on new engines is wasting time because it can't be succeed if at all it will be done...
        .:.S.e.r.v.e.r.B.r.o.w.s.e.r.:.

Comment

• Trapmaster
          • Dec 2007

TUT is so much imbalance that it's close to zero fun for me. And since it won't change on a professional way it will always stay that way. I've been much more online earlier but now, even when I get online I don't want to play and just have a look.

I first didn't like NB but all that rubbish that happens in TUT lately and non-supportive community made me think that NB was the right choice. So actually I wouldn't mind NB at all.

Although I have to say TUT has potential, there is nothing that unleashes that potential. So it's always the same old awful gameplay anyway.
          [E.D.G] Trapmaster - Doomsayer
          Brush scaling by 0.5325662468842 and still going

Comment

• Chainsaws
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Carth View Post
            I don't think so. Better graphics don't mean it's a better game for me. Usually the gameplay of the original is superior.
            Case in point. I'd still rather play Command and Conquer or Red Alert than the sequels despite the 640x480 or whatever mushy graphics it has. The only games that succeed as sequels for me are the ones like Half Life 2 which take the original premise and add improvements to the execution of the game. HL2 is exactly what HL1 would have been if it had been made five years later, Valve have looked at the technology they have now and what they couldn't do back then and used that to make Half Life a better game, not make a new game with a slight nod to the original to leverage more sales.
            One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
            -
            The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

• Inq
              • May 2008

I was suggesting the games improve not just by nicer graphics but with games they tend to incorporate all of the gameplay from the previous installment and simply add in better physics, graphics and gameplay. I could list you countless, countless game franchises where a sequel has beaten the original. There are also a number of originals that are best, but not nearly as much as was implied.
              http://rjanes.co.uk
              http://www.rpg-palace.com/

Comment

• Schleicher
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Inq View Post
                improve not just by nicer graphics but with games they tend to incorporate all of the gameplay from the previous installment and simply add in better physics, graphics and gameplay.
                After trying to type out a long wall of text concerning once great franchices (and theres rather alot) ruined by either plain shitty sequels (Unreal for example) or by naming games which themselves arent that bad but dont have much in common with their prequels at all gameplay wise (and thats where its at imo, for example Fallout 3) after the franchise for 10 minutes i think my opinion is about this : Not really. Or absolutely true if "incorporate gameplay from the previous installment and adding better gameplay" can be taken as "retain some resemblance but add drastic changes which might not be necessarily bad but dont really fit"

This nerdy rambling brought to you by I-dont-need-to-do-shit-tomorrow Inc
                My leet Thievery Map
                My leet UT3 Map
                My leet AS Map

Comment

• Aggamemnon
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Trapmaster View Post
                  TUT is so much imbalance that it's close to zero fun for me.

Although I have to say TUT has potential, there is nothing that unleashes that potential. So it's always the same old awful gameplay anyway.

Seemed pretty balanced to me the 4 years I played it. With a few exceptions.

Second point, it really depends on the people you are playing with, the gameplay is far from awful.
                  How TuF are you?
                  League of Legends
                  Bloodbowl by Extensions

Comment

• Sly
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Aggamemnon View Post

Second point, it really depends on the people you are playing with, the gameplay is far from awful.
                    Indeed.

I also think you should try to improve Thievery. What have you got to lose? To think that after all these years there are still players in a not so famous mod for a really old game. We are still here. I still remember that mod GulloneFox was making, can't remember the name, he might have some models and stuff as well.

To be brutally honest, I never expected NB to be finished. It just never seemed to get going, always sort of idling along.
                    But still, you worked hard on it, props.

I guess the question is, what's next?
                    >Thievery Stealth<

Comment

• Trapmaster
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Aggamemnon

Could write a whole essay about that I guess , but thats not the topic of the thread.

About the people: Yes.

Originally posted by Sly
                      I also think you should try to improve Thievery. What have you got to lose?
                      Personally, I'd say:

1st: Lots of time.
                      2nd: Lots of nerves.

Not sure if any of the NB / BCG original devs want to do that. Great people like Gullone or Mordengaard vanished. And they were those that supported TUT for a long time.

(On the other hand: More interesting question would be: What would be the benefit of it?)

Originally posted by Sly
                      I guess the question is, what's next?
                      Enjoy live .
                      [E.D.G] Trapmaster - Doomsayer
                      Brush scaling by 0.5325662468842 and still going

Comment

• ]>CoD<[Chief
                        • Jul 2004

Work swallowed up Gullone, occasionally signs in to msn, don't think he's seen mord for a while either mind.

Anyone wanting to play tut1.7 just needs to play with ThNewTools, since they were created using suggestions from the tut1.7 thread, and have the ability to disable things people don't like.

Give thieves titan bombs, and any maps people feel are guard-friendly will soon take on a whole new method of play.... (actually thnewtools purposefully didn't have cool stuff like that to make people happier if they saw them installed on servers ).
                        [E.D.G]Chief

Comment

• Aggamemnon
                          • Jan 2003

Mord Still hangs on his msn daily.
                          How TuF are you?
                          League of Legends
                          Bloodbowl by Extensions

Comment

• ]>CoD<[Chief
                            • Jul 2004

Prob. means that Gullonefox is on so little he never sees Mord.

- And that was the end of
                            Chronicles of Darkness/ Council of Darkness as well -
                            Last edited by ]>CoD<[Chief; 17 May 2009, 05:49 PM.
                            [E.D.G]Chief

Comment

• Tourresh
                              • Feb 2009

On a more positive note, at least we get Thief 4.

Comment

• Soulblade
                                • Mar 2008

Yeah, it's great that Thief 4 is coming out after all this waiting in doubt.

I was thinking that you could present these mods to Eidos Montreal and who knows... They could add a multiplayer mode just like tut/nightblade; putting your hard work to good use.

Comment

Working...
                                X