X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Schleicher
    • Jun 2003

Vistaaaaa!

New PC, and since it does have alot of thingamabobs which wouldnt run on XP i had to make the switch. And now im confused by all this shit which keeps poppin up in ma face.

1.) Everytime i do something some extra window comes up asking for confirmation (like for the device manager pff). Looked up in the help and it said its totally helpful and i shouldnt disable it because it helps against evil intruders. So can i coz its kinda annoying.

2.) Theres some Windows Defender thing which i guess is antimalware. Is it good enough to make Spybot S&D reduntant?

3.)Internetwise im gonna do the usual Firefox, Adblock, Flashblock, Noscript. No probs or something new in this can of worms?

4.) I clicked all the crap on the right away but the bar persists. How do i get rid of it?

5.) Prolly someone knows XP-Antispy (small program where ya could disable all its little phone-home things). Is there a Vista Antispy and is it good? (Cant look now, pretty much barebones and still installing windows update. Posting with explorer, ew)

More to come mebbe.

EDIT : Lel it came with an upgrade option for windows 7. Haw Haw
    My leet Thievery Map
    My leet UT3 Map
    My leet AS Map
  • Chainsaws
    • Jan 2003

1) Disable it and don't visit bestiality websites. It basically warns you when an application tries to change system config or install files to a system folder, it doesn't actually detect threats it just screams "Get the fuck off my lawn!" at anything it sees.
    2) It's a passable anti-malware solution I suppose, it never really finds anything. I've seen it detect serious threats though but it won't do everything Spybot et al do (search hijacks etc.) that I'm aware of. It never bothers me either so I leave it installed.
    3) Firefox runs fine just like on XP.
    4) There's an icon in your system tray called 'Windows Sidebar', the options are in there somewhere but I think it's a 'start with windows' checkbox you need to find.
    5) Not that paranoid I ever looked but if you find one I'll happily use it if you can link.
    6) Get Windows 7 asap. Really. I'm using it now and it's Vista without the nagging and everything works properly and it uses fewer resources and...the list goes on. Just upgrade.
    One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -
    The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

• Schleicher
      • Jun 2003

Windows 7 isnt available here until October or so :d

Apparently Xp antispy is for Vista too (not windows 7 i think tho). Linkie. Dunno if im not indeed paranoid and this is one of those "tweaks" which do shit but it never hurt me, someone security-smart say something vv
      My leet Thievery Map
      My leet UT3 Map
      My leet AS Map

Comment

• BiG_D
        Former Forum Staff
        • Jan 2003

Honestly just looks like a bunch of registry settings, most of which you can change via windows, wmp, etc.
        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

• Chainsaws
          • Jan 2003

I simply refuse to use WMP which takes care of 90% of my privacy concerns

Windows 7 isn't available here either but it's installed on my laptop
          -

Comment

• Moses2k
            • Oct 2004

Too bad there's no vidya player as decent as Media Player Classic on Lunix. SMPlayer comes close, tho.

So, Karmic Koala comes out in October too, you know. NEVER FORGET.

Comment

• immortius
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Schleicher View Post
              Windows 7 isnt available here until October or so :d
              Irrelevant. You can download the pre-release version now and use it for free until March next year, and obtain an actual version later.
              Immortius' Forge

Comment

• Schleicher
                • Jun 2003

Im not even done setting up everything still, dont feel like experiments. I can cope with Vista until the finished thing comes around i think :s
                My leet Thievery Map
                My leet UT3 Map
                My leet AS Map

Comment

• Chainsaws
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by immortius View Post
                  Irrelevant. You can download the pre-release version now and use it for free until March next year, and obtain an actual version later.
                  You will have to do a clean install when you get your hands on the full retail version. I've already had to do one because my pre-pre-release version expired.
                  -

Comment

• -KewlAzMe-
                    • Sep 2005

On the topic of Windows 7... For those of you with netbooks, I highly recommend it. I have the aspire one and the switch from XP to 7 was a huge improvement. Mainly with file access and disk os, but also with snappier responses to ui clicks.
                    All drivers were found automatically except the touchpad (For the sidepad scroll feature). That one works with the latest vista driver tho.
                    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

• Schleicher
                      • Jun 2003

Some weirdo issue. Autoupdate crap of programs (Java for example) opens the "Establish connection with [my isp]" prompt (the one where you enter your password and such and connect to the web) if im not connected to the web. I can squash those "helpful" bloatsacks individually by disabling their update function or if that doesnt work then in msconfig or deinstalling their phone home program components and such but is there some option hidden somewhere which prohibits that in the first place? Its quite disruptive, if im playing a game i get thrown into like a 3 minutes freeze with no possibility to alt-tab out or use task manager or whatever until they resolve they cant connect to whatever crap.
                      My leet Thievery Map
                      My leet UT3 Map
                      My leet AS Map

Comment

• Moses2k
                        • Oct 2004

Could use OpenJDK6 instead of Sun Java? SRWare Iron instead of Chrome. Foxit instead of Acrobat Reader. Quicktime and Real Player Alternative (unless you have iTunes), etc. Don't think there's any way to avoid having to manually do that disabling shite.

Possible that going into Control Panel or IE, then Internet Options (talking XP here), going to the network tab and saying 'never try to connect' might do it, tho.

Comment

• Schleicher
                          • Jun 2003

Chrome? :p

There actually was such a setting in System -> Internet options, enabled by default. What the fuck Vista? Hope thats the end of that then. Still gonna have to google system start/service exes again i guess, lotsa new stuff in there i dont know ._.

Have a bug cookie
                          My leet Thievery Map
                          My leet UT3 Map
                          My leet AS Map

Comment

• Moses2k
                            • Oct 2004

Hey, I don't use Chromium myself cuz I have just too many Firefox extensions I can't live without. It's nice to recommend to clients who the the 'fox is too slow, however.

Isn't the Mozilla Jetpack stuff supposed to work in any standards-compliant browser? Haven't read much of anything on that past hearing about it. Maybe it can't create GUI elements, tho (browser chrome (not Chrome)).

Comment

• Schleicher
                              • Jun 2003

Prolly not vista-specific but here we go.

I need general tips on what to do when a mixed mode audio game isnt looping its tracks, means plays once and then stays silent until its supposed to play a different track (via area change or whatev).

I did all the shit which usually solved this on xp but nuttin werks and the only workarounds (play it on external player, restart track with ingame console) are all crummy, halp :<
                              My leet Thievery Map
                              My leet UT3 Map
                              My leet AS Map

Comment

Working...
                              X