X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chainsaws
    • Jan 2003

Hardware comparison sites?

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my games machine but I don't want to spend a fortune on it. When I orignally bought my new motherboard I was under the (false) assumption that it would support the next couple of AMD processor iterations and I wouldn't have to upgrade for a while. When I come to look at components to upgrade the system with my head starts spinning; I just don't have the time or the inclination to keep up with this stuff any more.

So, if anyone can recommend some great sites that are easy to navigate where I can compare hardware I'd be greatful. Perhaps you can recommend a next step upgrade, that would be even better. I'd much prefer googling reviews on two or three pieces of hardware than searching through everything.

My current spec:
    ASUS Crosshair Motherboard
    Some DDR RAM - 3GB
    AMD Athlon X2 1.6GHz Dual Core
    Sapphire Radeon x1950 Pro Ultimate 256MB RAM

There are a few newer games that don't run so well but really I'd just like Left 4 Dead (and probably Left 4 Dead 2) to run a bit smoother and DX10 support would be spiffy. I'm not set on replacing everything, I'm happy to upgrade a minimum of components as long as I'm not wasting money by doing so.

Whatever anyone can suggest I'd be greatful for.
    One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -
    The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome
  • Schleicher
    • Jun 2003

Mebbe ask around for good computer shops around your area? A good one should give you techy guidance and even put the thing together if you dont wanna do it. Also not trying to sell you crap, heh.
    My leet Thievery Map
    My leet UT3 Map
    My leet AS Map

Comment

• westy
      • Aug 2006

This is nice > http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

But gotta look for stability on video cards too, I had/have alot of overheating problems with my Radeon 3870, full system locks while playing games, not fun. (Better now I have put on a Thermaltake Du-Orb). I have no idea how to look for which cards have most stability issues thou, googling I guess.

Share and compare benchmark scores from 3DMark, PCMark and VRMark benchmarks. Check out the world's fastest PCs in our Overclocking Hall of Fame.

Furturemark ORB (Online Result Browser, I think) is somewhat useful for seeing what the hardcore player are using in terms of motherboard and video card makes.

edit: Shopping in the real world sucks. Much safer to stay inside and online.
      Kept an xmas avatar for 3 year(s).

Comment

• Thebos
        • Jan 2003

HardOCP.com (particularly like their video card reviews)

sharkyextreme.com (Find thier weekly price listing useful)

Newegg.com (find the user ratings/comments useful. Also find the more popular items are a good starting point)
        Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
        Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

• TeeJay
          • Jan 2003

Tom's Hardware

Tom's Hardware is an essential site for information about upgrading and building PCs. Their charts and round-ups are great for comparison shopping. I have included links to Tom's Hardware's most recent "Best for the Money" recommendations for CPUs and graphics cards.

Tom's Hardware helps you buy the best hardware and build the best PC to play, create and work..

Here are the best graphics cards for gaming, from high-end to budget solutions.

It looks like the graphics card will be your main focus. You also might benefit from adding 1 GB of RAM (or more) if you are running a 64-bit OS.
          Last edited by TeeJay; 24 Sep 2009, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X