• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnnyTheWolf
    • Jul 2006

Alien Swarm VS Steam

Hi there

I'm trying to get a friend of mine to play Alien Swarm, but he apparently can't run the mod on Steam. Since he keeps procrastinating about fixing his problem, I'm trying to find out what's wrong with his UT2004 and why it won't let ASw run on his computer.
  • Moses2k
    • Oct 2004

Guess it's not the patch then, as assumedly they'd have it up to date?

Comment

• Ki!ler-Mk1
      • Apr 2005

Is he launching it from alienswarm.exe?
      Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

• Chainsaws
        • Jan 2003

I can't get it working under Steam either. Quite frustrating since it's the only reason I bought UT again on Steam.
        One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
        -
        The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

• Dalai
          Project Lead
          • May 2002

Strange... I run AS from Steam pretty often. I just extracted the two Alien Swarm zips to the UT2004 folder. Didn't have to patch UT itself or anything like that.

One thing you can try: Launch regular UT2004, go to the community menu and try to launch AS from there.

Comment

• Chainsaws
            • Jan 2003

Fixed it.
            First I deleted all the user config files as recommended on the Steam forums because UT decided that it was an illegal copy. After that AS started launching.

Then, one of the installers (community edition maybe?) I used had extracted files to the UT\System directory instead of the AS\System directory so that even though I could launch AS now I was patching AS\System it was using the old files because they were in UT\System so I couldn't join any servers. I didn't know what was what so I deleted the contents of UT\System and got Steam to check my game files and it downloaded a hundred MB or so and I was back to fresh (one advantage of Steam I've never used before).

After that I took the official installers and reinstalled them in the correct order for good measure (and the updated widescreen patch) and everything worked great. Alienswarm.de seems to be the only live repository for custom campaigns so I downloaded the ones I needed manually from there.
            One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
            -
            The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

• Felix
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Chainsaws View Post
              Alienswarm.de seems to be the only live repository for custom campaigns so I downloaded the ones I needed manually from there.
              Yea, how would be the world without the Germans?

No atombombs, no cd-player, no cars, no alienswarm downloads, ...
              www.alienswarm.de | [email protected]
              http://steamcommunity.com/groups/alienswarmde

Comment

Working...
              X