Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patch #1 Ideas

Registered
    Jan 2003

Patch #1 Ideas

Okay, so yeah, I totally dig the game. I wouldn't have been here since January 2003 if I didn't like the Black Cats' work. Down with the white-furred cats!

Mad props for some of the more covert improvements based on lessons learned in Swarm Classic. Like allowing dismantling of sentries for anyone, no kit necessary. Makes 'em more dynamic, and less of an "Okay, we need a sentry for this one particular part." I still liked Telic stims, though. It allowed everyone to have a "panic button" they could use at least once, rather than saying "Stim" and hoping the stim guy thinks you're worthy enough to save.

Anyway, we're obviously going to have patches. Major problems like crashes and performance issues are only going to get found out once everyone starts playing on different setups. Duhhhhh!

So, let's talk about the little miscellaneous problems that can be fixed along with those patches. Like, say:

• Make it so that we automatically become un-ready if we start changing our marine/equipment. Like it was in Swarm Classic.
    • The relation between the camera and the radial voice menu seems a tad off. In my brief experience, it seemed to be moving the camera while the menu is open, then snapped back to the center (where Zinger is) when you release Z. So for Zingers, you'll notice nothing. For the others, the sudden camera movement is a little jarring. I suggest either freezing the camera while the radial menu is open, or removing the "snapback".
    • Not that it isn't funny for Jaeger to shout "Jaeger here!" when he succeeds at a fast-reload, but maybe they should stick with cheering/boasting? (: "I got the reload skills.")
    • Is that anime smiley hiding somewhere? I can't be a rebel for using the normal smiley if the thing that I avoid using doesn't exist.
    • The first time I set up a sentry, for some reason I was under the impression that I needed to hold fire, which resulted in my marine firing his weapon after the sentry was in place and weapon auto-swapped. Yeah, it's a mistake I'll make only once, but it'd be nice to clarify the system, A help popup saying "Tap [picture of LMB] to place the sentry gun. You may still fire while it sets up" might be a bit cumbersome. Maybe one of those short tips could be "You can still fire another weapon while setting up a sentry."
    • Since we don't have Text-To-Speech anymore, any chance of adding a sound when someone sends a text chat? Most games have it.
    • Kind of weird and I don't know how to reproduce this. Faith ran through some fire (and ignited) and did her on-fire scream. Crash ran near the same fire (and didn't ignite) and still did his on-fire scream. Crash overreacting? Or did he just feel left out? You decide!

I'll add more if I think of any later. Anyone else?

And don't say I'm complaining! I'm trying to give ideas to make the game better, yo.
    Last edited by Hybrid; 20th Jul 2010 at 12:05 PM.

Speaking of your last point, full closed captioning on is hilarious.

Crash: [pain]
    Crash: [death]
    "Single handedly, you've ruined the fun many were having with the game. Good job Hitler."

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Does that cover infestation? Because i didnt come here to stare at party frames

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post

• Is that anime smiley hiding somewhere? I can't be a rebel for using the normal smiley if the thing that I avoid using doesn't exist.
    cl_emote 45, don't say I never did anything nice for you
    The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Increase team damage based on difficultly level, or provide a 0% -> 100% slider.
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Jan 2003
    And tie experience gain (partially) to that slider...
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I'd like to see:

• S23A autogun

1. A small delay on the S23A autogun (an autogun without any delay just isn't an autogun)
    2. The marine should move slower while using the autogun than a marin using a rifle imo.

• M42 Vindicator

1. There is a "put the next shell in" sound beeing played after firering. This sound should play between the shots. (The same goes for the animation)
    2. The riflegranade of the Vindicator (and several other thinngs) seems to crash pc's using NVIDIA GTX260 Cards (Link). My friend is always crashing because of that bug

• Need a Medic / Need ammo

1. It should be possible to bind a need medic/ammo key
    2. In my opinion a despaired shout for a medic or for ammo is more important then the intel guy and should not be tuned down!
    3. When you use another voicecommand and call for a medic imideatly after that the call for a medic seems to have no sound. (I think i saw some shouts without sound while playing online)
    4. There should be an option to request ammo. Right now you can only ask for ammo when youre already defenceless .

• Doors

1. A red heathbar appears when you dmg a door constantly. It should be a mouseover effect imo.

• Tesla Sentry Coil

1. A Rangecircle while setting up would be nice so that you can build a nice fence.

• Hand Granades

1. Could ne renamed to cluster Granades.
    2. The Explosion on touch makes it really hard not to blow the own team away when you try to throw a granade in a dark room

• Anime smilie!
    • A menu to access the good old voicecommands.
    Last edited by AK1988; 20th Jul 2010 at 01:37 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I would like to be able to place the reload indicator nearer the middle of the screen.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    +1 for Hybrids "freezing the camera while the radial menu is open".
    Even though real men bind all their keys
    ..it's safer here.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ki!ler-Mk1 View Post
    I would like to be able to place the reload indicator nearer the middle of the screen.
    The mousecurser is already a reload indicator so an additional indicator might be confusing.

i'm not sure how the mouse indicator works, i'd like a ginormous reload indicator, where my eyes are, which is usually neither at my mouse cursor nor where my character is, maybe just split the difference, or middle of screen.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    No, i was refering to the quick reload indicator which unsuprisingly shows reload progress, and i was aware of the cursor one, but it was unreliable for quick reloads.

Can we turn auto reload off?

also, kinda disappointing that there isn't some kinda persistence between campaign missions. there's really no reason to get the entire team through alive. maybe kill off characters if they die during a mission, or wound them for a mission or two?

Please allow single-player mode on the other missions. That of course includes the removal of the 2-player minimum limit.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Ki!ler-Mk1 View Post
    Can we turn auto reload off?
    asw_auto_reload 0

As for experience for marines: http://forums.blackcatgames.com/show...319#post242319
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

saw that, but, if its not really supported, and nobody knows how to use it... i generally play pubs, so yeah.

Registered
    Jul 2010
    Well, right now recording a demo and trying to use the source recorder is kind of broken. It can be done, but requires quit a lot of tinkering. During a demo playback and mouse cursor doesn't wave over the place like you were, but you're still in control of it, so you have to keep it still above your characters head to get the best recording.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread View Post
    cl_emote 45, don't say I never did anything nice for you
    Dammit, and here I thought this thing was perfectly stylish. Patch it out!
    My cats are black! How about yours?

Registered
    Aug 2008
    You need dedicated servers, the lobby system is terrible. I get repeatedly kicked out of 'private' public games, the host usually leaves mid-game and the connection/game will just drop, you can't order lobbies by locality or ping so you often end up with huge lag in game, half the time I fail to connect. Overall the lobbies are a terrible experience.

One thing I really miss from the mod is a pistol that fit in your accessory slot. I could see medigun/medipack/pistols being a combo to try. Personal Defense Weapon would probably be a good fit for an accessory slot weapon too.

Quote Originally Posted by Warskull View Post
    One thing I really miss from the mod is a pistol that fit in your accessory slot. I could see medigun/medipack/pistols being a combo to try.
    I'd like this also.
    "Single handedly, you've ruined the fun many were having with the game. Good job Hitler."

Yeah, accessory slot pistol is one thing I really missed when I played my first medic. But for patch #1, my real favorite would be to choose between lobby and in-game in the matchmaking.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Being able to place props, spawnpoints and like trigger/objective stuff in the tilegen editor, mebbe even lighting.

Altho i guess before long *real* Hammer mappers will make enough stuff and nobody would want to play what would be something like SLIGE AS maps anymore ><

Ability to make "invite-only" games (as opposed to only "play with friends" and "public")

Ability to add bots into MP games would be great

Also, I second the accessory pistol slot. Maybe a single-handed (non-akimbo) Pistol and PDW? (with half the ammo, since it's one gun opposed to two, to keep it balanced)

just noticed, doesn't appear to have a key for drop off-hand... for say, sharing personal kits or whatnot.

Since this is my first post I wanted to say: Great game!

+1 on an improved server feature. It would be nice if when the current leader left there was a way to continue playing, I've played for several hours, and so far I've done the first 3-5 missions over and over.

It would be nice to move the fast reload indicator closer to the character- as it is playing in 1920x1200 on a 24 inch lcd, I have to take my eyes completely off the game to fast reload- which makes it hardly ever worth doing- the times I need it most are the times it's unuseable.

This is my personal opinion so feel free to ignore it, but I don't like your default controls. It should be &quot;v&quot; for voice chat, right-click should be alt-fire. Middle-click is always an annoyance for me in a shooter, because it's so easy to accidentally switch weapons. Plus you're doing a tie-in with TF2, it might be good to have your controls closer to that.

I don't know if another equipment slot is feasible, but as of now medics have to either choose between the gun or the bacon, or being nearly defenseless. But you might want that- if medics could always carry both, it might sway the balance too far towards the player.

Make it easier to remove parasites. Too many times I've seen my teammates die even while being medigunned just because the medic couldn't get there instantly.

An option to vote to restart when some characters die would be good rather than having to suicide.
    Last edited by moonlightfox; 21st Jul 2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: where did my formatting go?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    Increase team damage based on difficultly level, or provide a 0% -> 100% slider.
    It already is set for this by default. The problem is there are safeguards in place called Absorption which makes friendly fire build up over time until it reaches full value (basically armor vs friendly fire that chips away over time).

asw_marine_ff_absorption 0 will turn off absorption and allow full team killing in it's classic glory, with additional damage being done on higher difficulty settings.

Registered
    Jul 2010
    1) Squad banter and chatter! I see some commands/settings for it when searching, but they don't really seem to have been implemented?

2) Different sounds for failed quickloads rather than using the pain grunts. Can be hard to tell whether a distant teammate is under attack or having reloading problems sometimes.

3) Ability to place fixed supply caches (with a chance to spawn or not) or always-there item drops (think blinkpack/assaultjets), doors, mission objective items (biomass, eggs) etc. etc. in the tile mapgen/editor.

4) Unlockable Assault Jets/Blink Pack.

5) Seconding requests for single PDW/Pistol for the 'extra' slot.

6) In or out of game weapon/item stat/unlock browser that doesn't require loading up Offline Practice to view weapon stats.

7) In deployment modes; range circle for tesla trap, range/arc indicator for sentry guns.

8) More game customization options/settings alongside the difficulty and in the options menu. Rebalanced point-buy! Friendly-fire modes! Other fun stuff!

9) Make doors always fall away from the direction they've taken the most damage from. I've seen a couple of instances of Drones bringing a door down on themselves either by accident or because of some well-timed shooting from the marines. It's slightly anticlimactic when the drones are about to break through and then drop the door on themselves.

10) Passworded/Invite Only lobbies/games. L4D's lobby/game player behaviour is a pile of arse, to put it bluntly. I do not want retarded random people from groups I'm in joining my game, or retarded friends of friends (of friends) joining, tyvm.

11) A command-bind to drop your Extra/Equipment slot weapon. Pretty much essential for solo runs I think.

12) Timers/bars to show the drop cooldown for ammo bags/heal beacon packs.
    12a) A little marker to show whether or not healbeacon/ammobox deployment is blocked where you're currently trying to deploy them.

13) Bastille's revolver(s) and Sarge's cigar.
    Last edited by Arcalane; 23rd Jul 2010 at 06:30 AM. Reason: #12a
    Previously known as Exo. Yes, that Exo.

hallelujah? now to find a persistent group willing to make their game more frustrating

Registered
    Jan 2003
    It could use 6 players, even if 2 were spectator only, would be entertaining to watch and wait for a turn.

So 6 player limit, with 2 being spectator spots. For when you have more than enough for one game but not enough for two.
    Or just to take turns with friends.

Thread Information