Thread: Railgun and Pistols

Registered
    Jun 2004

Railgun and Pistols

First off, awesome game. It was definitely worth the wait. This is the Alien Swarm I know and love, enhanced.

That being said, I have a few comments on the Railgun and Pistols. I can't see anyone using either of these weapons over the existing ones.

The pistols are >almost< worth using on speed runs for how little they slow you down, but I don't think that alone is a good reason for having them be a primary weapon and not an extra item. Granted, the pistols in their current state would be too powerful as an extra item, so I propose they be balanced to allow a medic to double-up on healing items without having to give up a ranged weapon. I think it would be easy to tweak them for this purpose - keep the damage the same, but lower the bullets per clip and significantly increase the reload time. Surely you guys have some global weapon usage stats, and I would bet that the pistols are pretty low down on the list.

Even lower, I would think, would be the Railgun. It shoots extremely slowly, it has a really small hit-detection area, it can't penetrate objects very well, and its damage is not nearly enough to make up for these other shortcomings. Why does the sniper rifle go through doors, multiple eggs and enemies, etc, but the rail gun can only shoot one egg and can't go through doors? Surely the penetration variables on these two weapons were accidentally switched.

The hit detection on the Railgun is also pretty off-putting. Numerous times I have shot directly at an alien, only to miss it because the Railgun beam shot between its arms, whiffing its armpit. I think the Railgun needs about two times the current hit detection column radius for it to be a weapon anyone would consider using regularly. If its hit detection isn't going to be tweaked, then its damage should be, to make it more of an artillery weapon.

Thoughts? Am I wrong? Does anyone use these weapons regularly over what would seem to be better choices? How would you make them more desirable?

EDIT: Also, can we get a tiny bit of auto-aim on the flashlight? I don't think anyone's going to be using this purely to see better. Most people I know would just turn up the brightness/gamma and use a different item.
    "Crack the panel!"
    "Once upon a happenstance, I did myself connect to a game-hosting combobulation."

Registered
    Oct 2004
    You haven't tried using pistols on welded/secured doors yet, have you?
    The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread View Post
    You haven't tried using pistols on welded/secured doors yet, have you?
    No, what do they do? If I wanted to break one down, I'd use the chainsaw instead. If I wanted to shoot things through it, there's always the sniper rifle or Tesla Cannon.

Either way, taking a certain non-extra item purely for its affects on a welded/secure door seems like a poor reason.
    "Crack the panel!"
    "Once upon a happenstance, I did myself connect to a game-hosting combobulation."

Registered
    Jul 2010
    I felt the same about the Railgun however recently I have been trying it with characters that have a reload speed bonus. It's way more effective when used by them. Essentially firing almost as fast as Marksman Rifle possibly even faster if you have godly quick reload skills. So its not as terrible as I first thought.

In fact it probably has way too much ammo for its killing power. Im finding that to be the case with a lot of later weapons. Both rifles definitely. Probably also PDW's. I would not mind seeing a big reduction on Railgun ammo but increasing its damage to distinguish it more from the Marksman Rifle.

As for Pistols someone did the math an they can kill more enemies than the Assault Rifle if your accurate. But they are inferior to PDW's.

Registered
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Corion View Post
    No, what do they do? If I wanted to break one down, I'd use the chainsaw instead. If I wanted to shoot things through it, there's always the sniper rifle or Tesla Cannon.
    They shred unsecured doors rather rapidly. Faster than a half-dozen drones all banging on it at once, even!

TBH just having one pistol with half as many reloads would probably make the pistol a more reasonable 'extra slot weapon'. Nerf the damage a little bit maybe, but don't make it too low. No point making it totally useless, or medics may as well just take the powerfist and melee the swarm to death.
    Previously known as Exo. Yes, that Exo.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcalane View Post
    No point making it totally useless, or medics may as well just take the powerfist and melee the swarm to death.
    I do this. A lot. Supplemented with a shotgun in my main hand, I can wade through a large crowd while only taking maybe one or two hits at most, if I mess up somewhere in the melee.

Thread Information