X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tape432
    • Jul 2010

Is the game dead?

I am seriously asking...almost all servers are empty most of the time, and even if they weren't you can only play the same campaign so much.

Additionally, you never ever see a custom made campaign in server browser(btw how do you play custom campaigns offline, it automatically goes to official when you click offline practice).

This is really sad, this game is better than many AAA titles, and I played the total of 172 hours of it but even I can't play the same campaign again.

It just reached that point.

Is the game dead?
    "The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion."
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • JohnnyTheWolf
    • Jul 2006

Hey Tape

I was playing Lana's Escape today; cool new custom campaign, btw. You may want to get some pals and try it some day. It's still beta, but it's complete and its author is working hard on reworking it and polishing it. There are also plenty of custom maps available at Swarm Armory. You ought to check them out as well.

To play custom campaigns offline, create a custom autoexec.cfg in cfg folder and add the following line:

asw_show_all_singleplayer_maps 1

Considering it's free and coming with a full-fledged SDK, the game's only dead if you want it to be.

Comment

• Tape432
      • Jul 2010

Like I said it is completely irrelevant that custom made campaigns exist if there are no people to play them, my wishing for this to be the case does not make it so.

Also it is pretty silly to expect from majority of gamers to scavenge the internet on their own outside of game to upgrade the game.

This only works marginally and it is a pretty flimsy concept.

If something is not automatic or inside the game easily accessible it always fails to attract.
      "The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion."
      Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

• JohnnyTheWolf
        • Jul 2006

This is not a big-budgeted mainstream game, but a barely-advertised free game. What do you expect? Original BCG devs must have their hands full right now, as they work for Valve on both Left 4 Dead and upcoming Portal 2. You can't expect them to support 24/7 a free game like they would do with, say, TF2.

And if by "no people", you mean "no random people", then you are correct: you won't find many players on the server browser just by merely dropping by. That's why there are community groups you can join and plan games together. There are also Steam friends, other forum friends and real-life pals, which you can easily get to play Alien Swarm with you.

Heck, you can even ask people here or on the Steam community forum to join you for a game.
        Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf; 14 Oct 2010, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Tape432
          • Jul 2010

I still can't find people to play custom campaigns with...

How do I do that?

See what I mean, now imagine all those other gamers who don't even know that custom campaigns exist, it's all quite futile and frustrating.
          Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

• JohnnyTheWolf
            • Jul 2006

How do you do that? Well, by asking people to play with you.

Seriously, if you're looking for players, I'm game. Just say when!

Comment

• Tape432
              • Jul 2010

So, nothing happening at all, can't play a single custom campaign with other people.

It seems obvious that the only way for this game to move forward is to integrate top rated custom campaigns into official updates.
              Otherwise it is completely dead.
              Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

• westy
                • Aug 2006

Dead then. It was a good run.

Fallout Las Vegas is out next week, maybe you could play that?
                Kept an xmas avatar for 3 year(s).

Comment

• JohnnyTheWolf
                  • Jul 2006

Dude, either you're the loneliest person on the whole wide world, or you're the least resourceful.

I added you to my Steam's list, but I can't do anything else until you accept the invitation.

Comment

• Tape432
                    • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Tape432 View Post
                    It seems obvious that the only way for this game to move forward is to integrate top rated custom campaigns into official updates.
                    Steam then promptly makes all of them default part of the game...no this scavenging, foraging bullshit.
                    Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

• DarkLord75
                      • Mar 2005

Dead then. It was a good run.

Fallout Las Vegas is out next week, maybe you could play that?
                      You receive a free game, with a suite of mod tools to change it to your whims. What do you do?

A) Create new content and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
                      B) Politely thank for the present, claiming it is a good game, but you can't be arsed to expand it.
                      C) Whine about the lack of content on the Internet.
                      "Spera: Ooh! Ooh! You hear that? A bird singing out amidst our desolation. It's a miracle. The miracle called supper."

--Lucifer #28, Breaking & Entering

Comment

• westy
                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by DarkLord75 View Post
                        You receive a free game, with a suite of mod tools to change it to your whims. What do you do?

A) Create new content and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
                        B) Politely thank for the present, claiming it is a good game, but you can't be arsed to expand it.
                        C) Whine about the lack of content on the Internet.
                        I'm playing chaotic evil, so I pick 'C' for the bad karma.

Comment

• Chainsaws
                          • Jan 2003

Shouldn't you have picked A but made BAD content? C would be....lawful evil?
                          One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                          -
                          The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

• JohnnyTheWolf
                            • Jul 2006

Speaking of additional content, I'm surprised that no one here seems to have started an AS2K10-related project.

Comment

• westy
                              • Aug 2006

Damn, you're right. Guess I'll just stick to lawful good :/

Comment

Working...
                              X