• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Schleicher
    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by JohnnyTheWolf View Post
    AS2K10-related project.
    *Points to sig*

It only received minor attention ( the days when some tilegen dreck could get 300000 downloads are over ) but i guess it still counts
    My leet Thievery Map
    My leet UT3 Map
    My leet AS Map

Comment

• DarkLord75
      • Mar 2005

AS2K10
      He's dead, Jim.

But I have to say, AS:I lasted less then I thought.
      "Spera: Ooh! Ooh! You hear that? A bird singing out amidst our desolation. It's a miracle. The miracle called supper."

--Lucifer #28, Breaking & Entering

Comment

• westy
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by DarkLord75 View Post
        He's dead, Jim.

But I have to say, AS:I lasted less then I thought.
        Yeah it's odd.

I dunno, something about the lack of players and difficulty in AS2k4. You had to work together and accommodate for players of different skill or ... unorthodox approach (MK1). Otherwise you didn't get to play at all, since there were only a couple of servers. These days you get players who don't want or need to stick around when they can't get on with their teammates. The 'star' system got people to stick around as well.

I'm waiting for the Linux dedicated so Felix can host one with the skill/star system active.

Mind you, had a good Brutal game with kjk, LF and Felix last night. Just like old times.
        Kept an xmas avatar for 3 year(s).

Comment

• Schleicher
          • Jun 2003

Id say its a mix of lack of variety (Black Valve Games shoulda just stolen Sigma and Orta or however they were all called in return for a mention in the credits) and not forcing people to work together enough. However if you hold up ASw as an example how it should have been done, quick reminder, its just as dead.

Mebbe a combination of ASws "Cooperate or die faggots" (with the skillz system) gameplay and ASIs fancy graphix woulda worked better?
          My leet Thievery Map
          My leet UT3 Map
          My leet AS Map

Comment

• JohnnyTheWolf
            • Jul 2006

Well, random spawns on Onslaught usually do the trick. Plus some maps, such as Deima Surface Bridge, can be quite a bitch if everybody starts running around disorganized.

Comment

• westy
              • Aug 2006

There aren't any maps that require the co-operation of Daylight or Rescue yet. Or even the start of Cargo.

I think the game feels less social with only 4 players. Although I can understand from a balance point of view. It would be nice to have the option.

Comment

• DarkLord75
                • Mar 2005

I still think 8 players should have been an option. This whole 4 player streamlined coop l4d crap gives me a headache.

arghbrarghlerage
                "Spera: Ooh! Ooh! You hear that? A bird singing out amidst our desolation. It's a miracle. The miracle called supper."

Comment

• JohnnyTheWolf
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by westy View Post
                  There aren't any maps that require the co-operation of Daylight or Rescue yet. Or even the start of Cargo.
                  That's true. That's why I'm disappointed. Newcomers usually have the excuse of not knowing about the original mod. I was expecting NoData or Donator to come up with something cool, but alas...

I think the game feels less social with only 4 players. Although I can understand from a balance point of view. It would be nice to have the option.
                  I personally don't remember a 8-player match that went well. I think the 4-player limit is a wise choice, considering how cramped the levels are.

Comment

• Fuzzy Bunny
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by DarkLord75 View Post
                    l4d
                    I think that I would have liked new Swarm a lot more if it had been less like L4D.

You can set up a server to allow more than 4 people to play simultaneously, but last I heard (saw?) it was buggy and tended to crash. Johnny also makes a valid point about the size of the default maps, they seemed to have been designed with 4 players in mind. The hack in Deima, for example, only has 3 points of entrance that need to be defended against while the 4th guy hacks.
                    Based on a true story.
                    The prequel.

Comment

• westy
                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by JohnnyTheWolf View Post
                      I personally don't remember a 8-player match that went well. I think the 4-player limit is a wise choice, considering how cramped the levels are.
                      True, it might not of gone well, but it was always fun!

You had less problems playing with the people you wanted to with an 8 player cap. 5-6 was the critical mass most times.

I think it just needs some less linear maps from the community, with multiple objectives to make it work. Something like the medal collect objective of Beggars Point - possible with 2 marines, but quicker with 8.

Comment

• JohnnyTheWolf
                        • Jul 2006

True, it might not of gone well, but it was always fun!
                        Not for me! Getting constantly offed in the first 30 seconds is no way for a rookie to get better...

I think it just needs some less linear maps from the community, with multiple objectives to make it work. Something like the medal collect objective of Beggars Point - possible with 2 marines, but quicker with 8.
                        Yeah, but keep in mind that it didn't really happen until Telic and EFR, which were mostly fan initiatives, I believe. AFAIK, Sigma and Ortega were neither bigger nor more open than Jacob's Rest.

Comment

• westy
                          • Aug 2006

Meh, each to their own.

Also, I don't see your point here.

Comment

• DarkLord75
                            • Mar 2005

Either a game sparks up some serious interest immediately (think Fallout New Vegas and the 300 nudie mods that got ported day one) or it pretty much sits there with people desperate for more content.

limit
                            Limits are all well and good, but if you want your playerbase happy, you give it options.

Comment

• JohnnyTheWolf
                              • Jul 2006

There are already enough insanely unbalanced dedicated servers out there (Revenge of the Swarm, BrutalCalibre). Pick your poison.

Comment

• DarkLord75
                                • Mar 2005

There are already enough insanely unbalanced dedicated servers out there (Revenge of the Swarm, BrutalCalibre). Pick your poison.
                                insanely unbalanced
                                They could turn the game into a striptease simulation for all I care. Modding extends the base game, calling it "unbalanced" is missing the point.

Comment

Working...
                                X