Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The end of a decade, but the start of an age.

Banned
    Registered
    Sep 2010
    Looking on more serious variants (except last one):
    1. What the point point to put in name of remake name of engine? How this could be useful?
    2. Also looks like you tend to use name of ancestor - more power to you, Chief. But web domain with the name 'Thievery' is occupied as I said. I CAN'T use it. Maybe you could, but not me. Sorry.
    3. 'Chronicles of Darkness' - Did you thought that in short it equivalent to CoD? What is your pusher, Chief? Also 'Shadow' or 'Darkness' don't tell anything about in game crime/conflict/combat. Or I missed something?
    4. The better if name will be from one word. Not agreed? Then say why please.

From available list from dictionary:
    Gang, Horde, Underworld, Gangland, Scrounging, Robbery, Heist, Burglary, Plunder, Pillage, Plundering, Yegg, Burglar, Syndicate, Larceny
    I tend to use suggested year ago by FRH 'Larceny'. Mainly cos I have only this recommendation from native english spokesman. Please clean my list from awful variants.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Just like to point out to you first of all...

Remember that if you're making a new mod, one that is not thievery2 nor night-blade (as you seem to be suggesting due to your lack of website access) then you will need to ask permission of all those who worked on thievery,nightblade (2k3/4-ut3-udk) to actually be allowed to use such things as sounds,music,models,maps etc etc etc.

Have fun tracking them down, but it's only one minor challenge and will prove you're serious about a remake by doing this yourself, alone and un-aided.

Though it's also politeness to ask anyway if you're a completely new team regardless of using the game names - professional courtesy and all that

As to the names:

Shadow:Source and Thieves-Highway were thievery-esque games, but they weren't thievery remakes per se.

Chronicles of Darkness was one gametype from the above games, and an add-on for nb(ut3), a co-op only gametype and also only based off of thievery.

open shadow mutator was unreal based, designed by kewlazme, and coded by nobody (all kam did was make websites all the time, he was under the impression that a cool website was more important than content and coding, so the entire game failed - not that i'm blaming him in anyway, it was just his viewpoint). The idea behind it was many people could work on a base stealth udk mutator, then many games could be modded off of it.

While a single name may have the punch value, plenty of games out there do have several words, Call of Thievery: Modern Taffing etc.

FRH's Larcency sounds find mind

Here's a very incomplete list of people you'd need to contact, and of course if they never respond or you never find contact details then you can't use any of their content
    joel:
    ed duke cox:
    joker:
    barrett philips:
    oddityX:
    gullonefox:
    cythe:
    neopendragon:
    oRGy
    SMithy:
    Sisu:
    Dalai:
    Ambient_Silence:
    Illuminus:
    Nachimir:
    Inq
    [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Banned
    Registered
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by [E.D.G]Chief View Post
    sounds,music,models,maps etc etc etc.
    Remake need to have new content. That's why tut series died. People just moved to other things.
    Also I missed why the same content is must in remake. I read about your opinion, Chief(when you was in business with UDK, phases..). But I didn't saw reasons why you think so.

Original maps is explored from every single angle.
    Models, Music, Sounds and Textures must be a challenge for artists of new serious dev team. After all game devs interested in making new stuff. More power to them. Why not?

Thievery-esque games? Links to proof pls. I can't google this.

As for 'Chronicles of Darkness' I could say that I'm not interested in thinking about coop. Sorry. Based on coop of TUT? Oh, how interesting.

As I said I'm not interested in talking about non-serious project. About name like this 'open shadow mutator'.

I don't get this sentence
    'The idea behind it was many people could work on a base stealth udk mutator, then many games could be modded off of it.'
    Are you saying that udk people refused to try build remake of such experimental and complex game like TUT?

'While a single name may have the punch value, plenty of games out there do have several words'
    Sorry I'm impressed
    that successful 'Thief' has one word
    that successful 'Thievery' has one word

Also look. 'Call of Thievery', 'Modern Taffing' variants used more then one word. Thus logical accent made by dev in name is more stronger. And responsibility in peeking cool words in such variants is much higher. Why is 'Call'? Why 'Modern'? Why 'Taffing'. Could people easy to get what is this name/game about?

'Thief' could mean anything. 'Thievery' could mean anything also (what dev wants to put into box ofc). Names with one word give more freedom to game designer imo.

If we would have game on every single thiefy word from dictionary ofc it will be time to use 2,3 and so on words in names.

'FRH's Larcency sounds find mind '
    I'm really really appreciated you for this suggestion. I need to know opinions of competent people.
    Wait. I wrote 'Larceny', not 'Larcency'. Are you joking? Right?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    If you want fully new content (and I agree with you here) then why did you want the NB-UDK content so badly (also I guess you won't be making any old thievery maps if you're not asking permission to remake them)?

As I said I'm not interested in talking about non-serious project.
    Everything I've stated were serious projects that fell by the wayside in one way or another, I merely listed a list of mod names that are probably free to use by now.

Thievery-esque games? Links to proof pls. I can't google this.
    A mans word is his bond, I have no need to provide proof.

Thief
    Isn't it Thief: The Dark Project?

Could people easy to get what is this name/game about?
    I think alot of people, and especially lawyers would get the name even if you failed to do so.

Wait. I wrote 'Larceny', not 'Larcency'. Are you joking? Right?
    Different spellings meaning the same thing, probably larceny is the correct spelling but I won't be the only one in the world to add the additional 'c'.
    [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Banned
    Registered
    Sep 2010
    By the way these words that could disturb other person (but not me) looks a bit funny, Chief.
    then you will need to ask permission of all those who worked on thievery, nightblade (2k3/4-ut3-udk) to actually be allowed to use such things as
    Here's a very incomplete list of people you'd need to contact, and of course if they never respond or you never find contact details then you can't use any of their content
    Who will decide what I can and what I can't to do, Chief? What official department do you mentioned?

I could imagine situation when somebody (not me) used mentioned by you content for commercial licensed copyrighted allowed project. Such person could do this after my team released our project. Interesting collision, right?

List that you mentioned is not list of people.

It's list of inactive internet users.

I don't think that NB was released as TUT
    Quote Originally Posted by WTaFa View Post
    1.PC Gamer (USA) Oct/2002, p.116.
    2.PC Zone Coverdisc (UK), Aug/2002, Issue 120, DVD edition (UK). "Modwatch" section.
    3.GameStar (Germany), Aug/2002.
    4.PC Powerplay (Australia), Review in Aug/2002 and on DVD in October/2002.
    I want to ask person who release TUT in these journals mainly. But there is a question: who is he?

If real people with real human names had copyrighted by law own finished or not finished product I could know their real names by making request to official department
    'Could I use Thievery or NB name for my commercial project? Is it free TM?'.
    I could ask my friends to make such requests in USA and England for start. Could be interesting investigation.
    Last edited by WTaFa; 1st Aug 2012 at 09:07 AM.

Banned
    Registered
    Sep 2010
    How more newer working prototype couldn't be interested for me?

Nope, I'm not interested in existed maps. I'm asking again: what the point to use them?

As for me mutator is less serious project then Total Conversion.

'A mans word is his bond, I have no need to provide proof.'
    Ofc not if you provide more information then you tend to.
    Generally I need to say that I can't understand about what projects are you talking about. Nothing behind such 'cool' names? How impressive for person who didn't heard about them as much like you.

'Isn't it Thief: The Dark Project? '
    Oh yeah and how much people here wrote
    knockout and not KO?
    blackjack and not BJ?
    deathmatch and not DM?
    In general discussion mostly one word will be used. Mostly 'Thief' and on more detailed level - 'DP'. I'm not interested at this stage in any abbreviations that could be after ':'. All that shit after colon currently is unimportant shit for me in other words.

'I think alot of people, and especially lawyers would get the name even if you failed to do so.'
    Excuse me but I'd talked how gamers understand name of game.
    If you're talking about your variants I'm listening to you.
    If you think that lawyer could earn money when I'll use 'Larceny' name then say it in understandable form please.

Thank for note about spelling. I rely on internet connections mostly where google will help guys who use another spelling.

Banned
    Registered
    Sep 2010
    Remember that if you're making a new mod, one that is not thievery2 nor night-blade...
    Looked like I missed very important thing here.
    Who will be happy if I'll use t2 (lol!) or nb names? And who will be angry if I'll refuse?

In other words WHO'S CARRY about this?

UPDATE:
    Thanx for you edited post (again), Chief.
    Quote Originally Posted by ]>CoD<[Chief View Post
    The Next Thievery: Now in the hands of Keg and Trapmaster.
    I can't see there or pictures thus I must admit that mostly my questions to you gained irrefragable answers. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by WTaFa; 1st Aug 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Thread Information