Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • -KewlAzMe-
    • Sep 2005

If you haven't played it yet, I highly recommend it. It is the first game I've found come close to the original Thief series for me. It was clearly very inspired by Thief with the guards saying things like "must have been rats" and calling eachother "choffers", but definitely not a copy or wannabe by any means.

Some of the character designs look a bit cartoony.. like something out of TF2... but there is quality in the voice acting and scripting.

There are some obvious story line triggers but not linear in any way. Each level is completely open to explore as little or as much as you like, and the level designs are top notch.

Many textures, however, are a bit low end. I guess to allow more older PCs to play it, but it doesn't really detract from the gameplay. Still the gameplay and concepts are very well thought out and well worth buying.
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

• Nanj
      • Apr 2005

I would also recommend it, but only if you have plenty of disposable income.

It's rather short and I can't really justify spending €49.99/$59.99, despite it being very enjoyable to play.

Comment

• Moses2k
        • Oct 2004

This fits the budget better and provides a similar level of entertainment.

Comment

• -KewlAzMe-
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Nanj View Post
          I would also recommend it, but only if you have plenty of disposable income.

It's rather short and I can't really justify spending €49.99/$59.99, despite it being very enjoyable to play.
          Yea.. definitely look for a deal. I got the steam version for $47 USD from a UK retailer. It seems short but there is a LOT in the maps to explore. Definite replayability. I've been playing for about 15 hours now and I'm not even half way through the game. Lots of readables, loot, and off story explorations.. and you get choices which can affect the outcome of your game. Whether or not to kill or release certain people for future interaction. And the music is top notch.

Comment

• Lurox
            • Jan 2003

Hi all, long time no see

I've played this game sneak-mode. Had a blast. I'm definitely playing it again next month... assassin-style. :-)

It's a good 15 hours gameplay on the first run.
            JM

Comment

• -KewlAzMe-
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Lurox View Post
              It's a good 15 hours gameplay on the first run.
              Wow you burned through it... I can't help but read all readables and explore the rooftops

Comment

• -KewlAzMe-
                • Sep 2005

Finished.. Took 37hrs to read all I could find and loot all I could loot. Bad ass game. It's great too that you can kill so many ways. For the last guy, I recommend trying many different methods to defeat him. Each of them produce a different kill sequence.

I even managed to ghost the final level...If you kill too many people the game outcome changes and way people talk to you change. They can go from friend to enemy because "they don't like who you've become".

Time to start over and try some new tactics.

Comment

• BrokenArts
                  Former Forum Staff
                  • Jan 2003

Haven't had a chance to play yet, I will, sounds like this game is getting back to some roots, which is great. Can't wait to play.

Comment

• [E.D.G]Chief
                    • Jan 2003

I think it's the only game I've ever wanted to replay as soon as I've completed it.

The developers say you can play it without killing anything, I reckon that's one tough challenge - I went my usual thief game play style of: Kill! Kill! Kill!

Some of the character designs look a bit cartoony.. like something out of TF2... but there is quality in the voice acting and scripting.
                    I kept thinking of Joe from family guy for one of the main character models

They can go from friend to enemy because "they don't like who you've become".
                    Which is why you shoot them when they start saying what a bad person you are
                    [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

• Nanj
                      • Apr 2005

Clearly I wasn't playing the game correctly.

Comment

• Keggie
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by [E.D.G]Chief View Post
                        The developers say you can play it without killing anything, I reckon that's one tough challenge - I went my usual thief game play style of: Kill! Kill! Kill!
                        not too difficult tbh, altho getting the clean hands (no kills) achivment is dam difficult as some actions you take can cause people to die that effect that, even tho your no where near them, first playthough i didnt kill anyone, didnt upgrade any abilities and tried to use blink as little as possible, it made it much more thiefy and i really enjoyed it, got the achivment for no alerts but not the clean hands ;( had no kills in any mission stats but still.. oh well...

game is rather too easy if you use the magic abilities, i redid the game in high chaos after and you just slaugher everyone with no challenge... blink makes it far to easy to backstab, blink behind them and stab... even if your right in front and they can see you.. too easy

would recomend the game either way tho for anyone whos likes thief, it is fun to stealth it and not too difficult, skidding out of cover with crossbow is good fun also tho story line isnt bad i guess but somewhat predictable too, still liked it tho
                        [E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
                        Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
                        AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
                        Videos - YouTube

Comment

• Antero90
                          • Jan 2003

Hmm.. it's on weekend sale on Steam. Shall I sucumb to temptation?
                          Feel the power of the

Comment

• BrokenArts
                            Former Forum Staff
                            • Jan 2003

You know you want to! So many love it, dooooo it. Also there will be an add on next week for it.

Comment

• Antero90
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by BrokenArts View Post
                              You know you want to! So many love it, dooooo it. Also there will be an add on next week for it.
                              *Antero90 has given his soul to Dishonored*
                              *Click fire to respawn*

Ok, back to mapping
                              Feel the power of the

Comment

• Antero90
                                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Antero90 View Post
                                I do hope for the people looking foward to it that this is the game where they have learned all their mistakes.
                                It is 12:11, exactly 11 minutes ago I completed this game in roughly 24 hours. I have to say must of my sentence above is correct.

Visually this game is very good, the industrial victorian background fits the game quite well.

Levels. Well, it's still the now good old loading sections to acomodate large settings, but overall the levels are not too big, only the flood district is a bigger (and more boring) but even then you can opt out a chunk. Loading bottlenecks are better hidden.

Freedom. Tons of freedom, more than I expected. Yes, blink is the star of the show, you blink just everywhere and anywhere. Sneaking actually seems to be the easy way to complete the game faster and easier, or at least I was able to spot out the sneaksy paths with no problem. I gave up on exploring around the party mission as it would inevitably end up with me bumping into angry zombies. Yep, I still can't stand zombies.

Plot, call it old, but it has been well used, im glad the whole thing ended nice and clean in this game, no over elaborated archs to bait us into a sequel. You meet up with a lot of people, but you are always on the move to have any developments, so no caracthers stand out.

"Thieving". Well, there are is the obvious eavesdropping chatter from guards which could have been better, I had a bit of hard time accepting that a lowly guard can speak «Indeed, I believe so», but I figured the developers wanted rich lines. The Thief Easter Egg did not quite worked out for me, first because I had been spoiled, second because instead of laughing I simply stood in my corner admiring the progress of the student. I was only a day later when I realised he wasn't much of a ghoster as you can spot him Nuclear doors and loot are still present, not blue but yellow, still looks horrible. No picklocking, but would not fit the caracther assassin type. Classic pickpocketing is still there and can be fun. Ghosting relies a lot on blink, but im sure some purists will be able to figure out a way to beat the game without blink, tho some sections seem tailor made for blink. Maybe distractions are in order.

Bottom line: I had fun, sure it took me about a week of late night plays. But for a Thief fan this game brings back some memories and offers a different bag of tricks. It also feels flexible and not too forced, design looks good and the steam achievements will make you want a another go, I will probably try the dark ending and brace myself because I know I will have to tackle a ton of zombies.
                                This game now has all it's DLCs released (will try those now) and has been dropping in price, if my assumption is correct, this game will have a huge sale soon (Bethesda may also release a GOTY Edition if rumours hold up) and it will be a steal.
                                For me it's a must buy, you can have a ghoster type of game or simply a hack and slash with a bit of dark magic to the twist.
                                Feel the power of the

Comment

Working...
                                X