Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keggie
    • Aug 2005

not heard of that one before, you broke it is it crashing randomly or after a rebuild? all i could suggest is hiding parts of the map and rebuilding to try and locate the area. have no idea if thats 1 brush crashing it or you've hit a limit of somekinda.. did you turn your map into a huge mover? xd maybe it was hit max mover count
    [E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
    Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
    AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
    Videos - YouTube

Comment

• Thebos
      • Jan 2003

Do not know the error, put from the history portion, looks lighting related.

Have you reduced the radius of the light sources? or are they still default size?

I remember having a error of early on in my own attempts that was caused by having to many overlapping light sources (I placed lights, saving radius adjustment for later- did not work out well). Quick check:
      1. make a copy of the map
      2. delete the light sources
      3. see if it compiles

Beyond that, what had you changed between the two errors?
      Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
      Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

• [E.D.G]Chief
        • Jan 2003

I gather Getty deleted 80 brushes (it errors during geom build) and it then compiled okay.

I've had the error myself, I think it only happens to superior mappers
        [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

• Edy94
          • Feb 2007

The difference between the errors is the mix of converted decorations to movers/meshes (all movers are visible)
          GettysTube - Indie games news and videos!
          UE4 Stuff channel

Comment

• Keggie
            • Aug 2005

was looking for something and i found this quote, duno how much you were converting complex brushes to movers but could cause more problems later down the line

Unreal engine 1 has some difficulties rendering a lot of movers in a small area or just rendering complex movers. Moreover, if you use too much movers, even simple ones, your map is prone to "losing" the movers when you play the game. They are simply not rendered. So, in my opinion, movers act sort of like static meshes do in the new Unreal engines as they do not effect the BSP tree, but due to the buggy nature of movers - including incorrect display of lighting on its surface - using movers to replace geometry should be used sparingly.
            so stick to the grid and using meshes if possible somepeople i notice try and get away with using nonsoilds for decoration and blockalls to make them soild, may be a very bad way of doing it tbh but might help in some cases..
            Videos - YouTube

Comment

• ]>CoD<[Chief
              • Jul 2004

i notice try and get away with using nonsoilds for decoration and blockalls to make them soild, may be a very bad way of doing it tbh but might help in some cases..
              you mean most of the tut maps :p
              [E.D.G]Chief

Comment

• Keggie
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by ]>CoD<[Chief View Post
                you mean most of the tut maps :p
                lol nar most maps in tut are fine, but iv seen map's where the complex brushes have been turned into nonsolids, i only use nonsolids as sheet brushes for Water/Zone portals, Windows, Masked textures and Banners, not for doorframes, funiture or random complex wall design features/frames etc i know you can get away with doing it, but im not sure if its a good idea to do it or not, i wouldnt of thought it was
                Videos - YouTube

Comment

• Thebos
                  • Jan 2003

I do not know of any issues with doing that. I think world/player interaction is all that is affected.

As I recall, it helps map performance and simplifies the BSP tree. It is best to ensure they are not cut by other brushes or cut/intersect zone portals (same thing really). It also helps to move these to the end of the BSP tree to prevent any unintended actions.

Meshes would be cleaner of course, but I do not think these are are so bad if such is not available.
                  Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                  Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

• Edy94
                    • Feb 2007

Ok so i got again the max points error. Tried to delete some brushes like last time but no luck.
                    Even tried deleting all the lights. It always crashes after "Rebuilding geometry".

Then i decided to delete all cache brushes and rebuilded only geometry then lighting and it worked. (did a complete rebuild after that and it still crashed)

So my question, how bad is rebuilding only geometry/lighting? I guess it skips some optimization steps.

Edit: like i thought so, map is laggier than normal. also invisible movers but it might not related
                    UE4 Stuff channel

Comment

• Keggie
                      • Aug 2005

as far as i know, build all is simply, build gemotry, build lighting, and build paths in 1 button. (yeah you need to rebuild paths btw if you ever alter pathnodes/spawnpoints etc) prob bad practice to do them in that order but the maps are playable after them

have you tried what mcfarrel said?

Originally posted by mcfarrel View Post
                      Try to export and import and then rebuild. This may or may not help.

somtimes that can solve errors
                      Videos - YouTube

Comment

• Edy94
                        • Feb 2007

Yap tried. Still crashes.
                        UE4 Stuff channel

Comment

• Keggie
                          • Aug 2005

its totaly chiefed then! if you want you can send me the map to have a look at, but cannot promise i can do anything with it.
                          File -> New, is the final option you can do, and this time use the Grid
                          Videos - YouTube

Comment

• Asaltec..SaitoNai
                            • Aug 2003

It had been a while since I've horsed around with UED99, but there is may be a potential, yet completely laborious, alternative to file -> new. What about exporting pieces of the map one at a time to t3d and importing them into a modeling utility like 3ds/maya? (I think t3d works with them). You may be able to edit the points of each brush to be in grid friendly sizes and then re-import them into a new map and reassemble the thing (probably better just to start over).

Comment

• Keggie
                              • Aug 2005

yeah best way i would do is to open 2 unrealed's and slowly copy/paste a few pieces at a time and line everything up to a higher grid setting as you go. it's pretty much what i did with my first map, long and slow process but if the error keeps happening it might be the best way... importing to maya/3ds might be a bit too much hassel
                              Videos - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X