Thread: Real life TuT: a game more than just hide n' seek

Registered
    Feb 2007

Real life TuT: a game more than just hide n' seek

Hey Everyone,

As the title says: a kind of new airsoft / paintball / teambuilding game has popped out of my mind last week. Hint: It's no regular airsoft / paintball / teambuilding. It's TuT played in real life.

Yep. The main concept would be playing as if we were Guards and Thieves, just like in our favourite UT Mod. The reason I posted this here is because I haven't found any alternatives to this except some 'metal gear solid airsoft games' and such, but these are still quite different to what's in my mind. (Hide and seek is not an alternative)

So it still needs a lot of polishing, creating rules, etc., but wanted to hear your thoughts on this.

The very, very basic use case would be: we rent out an airsoft site with my TuT fan friends. Instead of choosing an outdoor scene, we play on sites where there are buildings, possibly two or three of 'em. Also, we'd have limited light sources. (candles maybe? Any alternatives?). Before starting out, obviously, it needs a lot of preparation. We go through the 'map' a few times (yes, this requires days) hide loot, and then it's sort of self descriptive.

Think of a site something like this: https://ilovedunakanyar.hu/cikk/elme...aktanyaban-315 . I’m sure, there are even better than this, but an old soviet barracks would do the trick I guess.

My biggest argument is weapons. We can solve this with NERF guns, practice bows (how do they call these btw?) and fake melee weapons. Things would look like a bit as if we were in a LARP fantasy game, but without intense fighting.

Also, we could have ambient sounds played in game, to avoid hearing each others footsteps too loud.

Although this is just an outline, you'll get the main idea. Do you guys and gals think such a game would be possible?

Jump in and share some thoughts.
    Last edited by LexIcon; 28th May 2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added link

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I think its a great idea, similar to Paintball you could have 30 or 45 minute rounds. Team of 2 or 3 thieves vs 5,6,7 guards.

Get exclusive access to a location like this https://www.peckfortoncastle.co.uk/ and an objectives like 'take something from the throne room and get out again' or KO the king... etc

Each team gets 15 minutes planning time.

Scoring would be hard, and marshalling the whole thing as well would also be quite a challenge.

Nice idea though, needs work but if anyone owns or is setting up an events company this might be one to check out.
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Yes, rules and details need to be fleshed out, but Iím glad you liked the concept Fixxa.

Can you really rent out castles and such in England? A scene like that could give a big boost to the atmosphere indeed.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Yeah it'll probably cost a lot, and they might not hire it out for 'a game of Thievery' .... they might need convincing
    -YT

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Ok. I’ll sort this out, and record some footage with a gopro.

Anyone else?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Did you end up recording any footage of this?
    [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Haven’t had the chance to lay down rules precisely. If you guys help me with it, I’ll finish sooner with that footage. Any tips would be appreciated.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Dodging 6 guards in the streets of Bourgeois
    This sounds amazing.

...hi guys
    Dragon: Unforgiven Keeper. Swift, silent, smooth-talking. Militaristic, a formidable opponent. Winner.

Hi,
    if you want something with dim light, some LED light sticks with paper around them should be ok.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dragon View Post
    This sounds amazing.

...hi guys

Well well.... onto the stage once more, my friend. Hi.
    -YT

Registered
    Feb 2007
    That's a good idea indeed, NiRa. What about lighting in corridors? I was thinking of placing candles in some kind of candle holder so wind won't blew them and they can be set out by thieves.

What do you guys think of weapons?

Ranged weaponry has a few options:

First option is the airsoft gun, because it's cheap, easy to use. Downsides: too precise, you'll need protection and mostly, it's atmosphere-killing.
    Second option is a nerf gun: it's harder to hit enemies with, cheap, but again it ruins the atmosphere of the game.
    Third option might be: practice bow with blunt, rubber head. It's less atmosphere killing, but can still hit hard so it needs protective wear.

Melee weapons:

I've really no idea how a close-quarters fight might look like in this game. Obviously, DM-ing needs to be excluded, but there has to be some sort of black jack for thieves. If you want to KO somebody, a single touch with your palm from behind and a whisper in the ear 'You're KO-ed' might work.

This might be easy, but what about the guards? Maybe a foam sword (like in a LARP game) and thieves got hit points? Like hitting someone 5 times on the body or X times on limbs, etc. I've no better idea on this, would love to hear thoughts.

I'm on the way of 'releasing' a rulebook here as soon as I'm ready so every hard-core TuT player could test it out with friends and share opinions on it.

Thread Information