Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guards taking off all amour

I think guards should be able to take off all their armour so they can run faster and catch thieves.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Do you know how much time it takes to take off an armour?

Anyway... I don't like it.
    JM

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Run even faster?

no
    The only constant is change.
    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingDork
    no
    *Gets anoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ømega
    no
    *Gets anoyed.
    why?

Quote Originally Posted by Ømega
    *Gets anoyed.
    why?
    Because he's Omega. It's what Omega's do.

Registered
    May 2002
    Stop spamming, last warning then I get out my ban stick.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai

wth ? DarkThiefMasterX hacked Dalai's account ?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    OMG OMG STOPP PMING ME OMG IM UR GAY LOVER

Anyway.

I'd rather see guards donning themselves in different KINDS of armor.

Light leathery armor would let them run at the speed thieves run, but it would offer no protection against attacks, a heavy BJ hit to the forehead would be enough to send them to the ground... this type of armor would be suited for archers, since they don't need heavy protection and would rather have a bit more speed.

Heavy armor would come complete with a helmet and would thus protect against KO attacks (save 60 loot). It would also remove the backstab ability (thieves doing double damage from behind), thieves would do normal damage instead.
    The penalty would be a macelike speed penalty (making maceguards incredibly slow) and the inability to swim (a guard wearing heavy armor sinks like a brick and will eventually drown, unless he manages to get out in time).

The inbetween armor everyone starts with would just be like the armor we have now.

Armor is chosen at the beginning and not bought like other items.

Quote Originally Posted by -=V12US=-
    O

Light leathery armor would let them run at the speed thieves run, but it would offer no protection against attacks, a heavy BJ hit to the forehead would be enough to send them to the ground... this type of armor would be suited for archers, since they don't need heavy protection and would rather have a bit more speed.
    And what would stop thieves from just rushing these archers with BJ in hand, knowing that a thief can survive 3 consecutive crossbow hits, which is plenty enough time to knock out the guard?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowgrab
    And what would stop thieves from just rushing these archers with BJ in hand, knowing that a thief can survive 3 consecutive crossbow hits, which is plenty enough time to knock out the guard?
    They might SURVIVE 3 consecutvie crossbow hits, but not very well. That'd be only 10 health left, or about 2 drops.

But to answer your question more directly; parabolts.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I agree with V12US. And every other time this subject was brought up, I've liked that idea.

I for one, would go with the leather armor, and a l33t crossbow loadout. I'd be vulnerable to 2 thieves, but like they said: Para bolts...

That, and probably trops, just in case I need to beat a path backward.

It'd add something more to the game...

Registered
    Jan 2003
    In a garden surrounded by venus flytraps..
    I thought this was a pron thing lol
    The Guard "eats, drinks, and sleeps"

Likita: lol, can't.. must..stay..awake.............

It's TACO TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Garlisk
    Keep in mind that you're already familiar with the game, so adding something new isn't much of a big deal for you. However, for a new player, each added complexity sharply increases the chance that they'll just go play CounterStrike instead.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by LaughingRat
    Keep in mind that you're already familiar with the game, so adding something new isn't much of a big deal for you. However, for a new player, each added complexity sharply increases the chance that they'll just go play CounterStrike instead.
    I disagree with you here LR. The complexity of the game , imo, is not because of its items. Anyone that knows a tag bolts lights up an area can understand heavier armor protects you and slows you down more. I think that as long as there is sufficient info ON the items of thievery, we should have no trouble there.

Beside, I like games that are complex with lots of options for me to get a specific playstyle...

That is, as long as I can get info about the items, instead of guessing my way.

Thievery doesn't lack this, which is why I play, but I think it can always use more.

I disagree with you here LR. The complexity of the game , imo, is not because of its items. Anyone that knows a tag bolts lights up an area can understand heavier armor protects you and slows you down more. I think that as long as there is sufficient info ON the items of thievery, we should have no trouble there.

Beside, I like games that are complex with lots of options for me to get a specific playstyle...

That is, as long as I can get info about the items, instead of guessing my way.

Thievery doesn't lack this, which is why I play, but I think it can always use more.
    Thievery already has a lot more a player has to learn to be able to play at all than most first person games. The objects aren't simply healthpacks and weapons with two fire modes, which make up virtually all objects in FPS games. In addition, the concepts aren't the same, either. How many times have you heard a new player ask "How do I use my lockpicks?" - they ask, because no other FPS game has anything that works that way (well, the Thief games...).

When you start throwing in three levels of armor, each with different attributes, trying to figure out what you're supposed to be doing with all the STUFF available to you suddenly becomes even more daunting.

Again, try to look at it from the point of view of a completely new player, not from your veteran's point of view. You already know what everything currently in the game does. Figuring out what effect the armor has is minor for you.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Come on...

Can you tell me what is a prototype lab ? Or a movement chamber ? How do you blink ? What's the use of Umbra ? What about Primal Scream ?

Natural Selection is even more complex , but it doesn't prevent quite a bunch of people from playing it...

Thievery's manual can be updated to give more info on newly added abilities imo.

About the people who would prefer CounterStrike over Thievery... that's an other story.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I kind of agree with Stak.

My point would be, If you don't understand how something like armor works...you shouldn't be playing a game like thievery anyway...

My point would be, If you don't understand how something like armor works...you shouldn't be playing a game like thievery anyway...
    It's not the armor alone. It's a significant degree of added complexity, on top of everything else. Ever heard the saying "the straw that broke the camel's back"?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    It's not the armor alone. It's a significant degree of added complexity, on top of everything else. Ever heard the saying "the straw that broke the camel's back"?

Fine, then let the simpletons play counterstrike, I say!

I rest my case...

Fine, then let the simpletons play counterstrike, I say!

I rest my case...
    Sure, brilliant. Let's do whatever we can to keep new players away then, huh?

It's not even much of an enhancement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalai
    Who me? I was just giving my opinion, and the second one I guess was spam. But off-topic post isn't really spam....

Registered
    Jan 2003
    In all the excitement of complexity and variety, aren't we forgetting that a faster guard might present something of a balance issue? Let's face it, the challenge should be in using brains and equip to catch thieves, not a passive running speed.
    Nightmaster,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "until the cat is skinned"

Quote Originally Posted by Shug
    In all the excitement of complexity and variety, aren't we forgetting that a faster guard might present something of a balance issue? Let's face it, the challenge should be in using brains and equip to catch thieves, not a passive running speed.
    If that faster guard were more vulnerable to attack, it might not be such a balance issue, except to ghosters.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    How about big letters that say "If you're not sure what all these armor options are, and you're new, just pick the standard armor"

Registered
    Jan 2003
    If that faster guard were more vulnerable to attack, it might not be such a balance issue, except to ghosters.
    Sure, and that "except to ghosters" could also include minimum force players - making it quite a substantial balance issue, really.
    Nightmaster,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "until the cat is skinned"

Registered
    Jan 2003
    People that can't figure out the difference between heavy armor and light armor should be shot anyway. Certain types of people just shouldn't play thievery.

LOLZ UR AIMBOT HAXXOR WTF???

I've been playing thievery the last few days and I've noticed that the general IQ has dropped alot. It's not as bad as counterstrike, but it's annoying to say the least. And I'm not being elitist or anything, I just don't like the * YOU BEAT ME SO YORURE A HACKER!!!!!11one* kind of people.

On another note. If thievery is complex, instead of stopping development for it, add more info. I allready said there should be a popup screen when buying items to display information when you hover them. Right now, everything is just buy and try (aka, Plug And Pray).

If there is more ingame information, the difficulty bar will be lowered alot, allowing people who like complex games to play, and at the same time keeping the nobrain counter strikers out.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Taking over the world - One mod at a time...
    I just don't like the * YOU BEAT ME SO YORURE A HACKER!!!!!11one* kind of people.
    *Cough cough* KAM, Nem, Frantic paranoia, anyone?
    Dan, does this girl even know you? At all?

Sure, and that "except to ghosters" could also include minimum force players - making it quite a substantial balance issue, really.
    No argument there. I wasn't debating pro/con at that point, just pointing out the ingame effects.

On another note. If thievery is complex, instead of stopping development for it, add more info. I allready said there should be a popup screen when buying items to display information when you hover them. Right now, everything is just buy and try (aka, Plug And Pray).
    An excellent idea, and one already in the works, I think. Shug had talked about putting together a play/use manual for Thievery. Looks like I'm writing the "starting a server" section.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Mercenary
    I just don't like the * YOU BEAT ME SO YORURE A HACKER!!!!!11one* kind of people.
    *Cough cough* KAM, Nem, Frantic paranoia, anyone?
    *sigh*

Yes, exactly. This is the kind of damage cheaters do. And once it's started, anyone who gets their butt kicked starts throwing accusations of cheating, because it's HAPPENED before. Please, please, PLEASE do not throw accusations of cheating around lightly. Just because someone beat your 1337 self, doesn't mean they're cheating. Maybe they're just good, maybe you're having an off day, maybe they're having a good one, maybe it was luck. If you REALLY think someone is cheating, watch them first. Otherwise it just comes across as another whiner who got beat making excuses.

Thread Information