Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lack of Faith

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.
    I really do.
    Some of you seems to have fallen in love with nightblade already.
    Some of you seem interested in any, but still question it.
    Then some of you seem like you dislike it already.

Have some faith would you?
    It's not like it's (Insert random violent FPS game maker) doing this mod, it's the team the brought you Thievery. It's the same people who loved Thievery.

Look at the contact list These are all the persons working on the mod.
    Among those are 3 members of TSG (the ghosters), people who made some of the most interesting and fun maps for thievery and... well... me.
    Some of the persons even stated their doubt about nightblade when they first heard about, but as soon as they played it they lost all doubt it becoming great. (Gullonefox posted one of those IRC.)
    Also notice that no one on that list is hardcore dm thieves in Thievery.

Now, do you realllllly believe that this team would make medival UT game with no empashis on stealth, tactics and teamwork etc.?...
    I don't, nor should you.

Have faith.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Taking over the world - One mod at a time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Builder
    Also notice that no one on that list is hardcore dm thieves in Thievery
    That could be subject to re-evaluation after some of my Pain Prodô treatment.

On a serious note, people are panicking over NB because:

There will be no dynamic lighting.

There will be no interactive crates/bodies.

I'd say I'm worried myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug
    Dan, does this girl even know you? At all?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Believe me, you don't need water arrows. The hiding system in NB is MUCH more better. A thief can hide pretty well, even when he's not at 0 visibility.

Also, the crates... Who here really used them, except Master-Builder? Tell me.
    JM

Registered
    Mar 2003
    AND EVEN I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE LACK OF CRATES!!!!......

Quote Originally Posted by Lurox
    Believe me, you don't need water arrows. The hiding system in NB is MUCH more better. A thief can hide pretty well, even when he's not at 0 visibility.

I did. Lots. I used the to get to a really high spot on the rooves of flats, resulting in me being able to see thieves almost anywhere on the rooves. I got 5 or so kills that game....
    The only constant is change.
    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Registered
    Jan 2003
    This pwnage was given to you by 1 of 3 mutated thievery players.
    That's nice, but flats won't be in Nightblade. Flats is tut, tut is not nb.
    On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Quote Originally Posted by PhaeThorn
    That's nice, but flats won't be in Nightblade. Flats is tut, tut is not nb.
    Concept is the same, though, even if it doesn't apply to Flats specifically. You could use them to get to places you couldn't otherwise.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    You won't need the crates to get to high spots anymore with those mad ninja skillz. 8)
    JM

Registered
    Jan 2003
    They can't be reached for a reason. It's nice to be able to go on a roof you should not be able to go on, but no thanks.
    I personally am happy there is no more frobbing with objects
    On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

I see. Wall jumping and dodging will be a nice addition. No double jumps I suppose though... or am I wrong?
    The only constant is change.
    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
    I really do.
    Some of you seems to have fallen in love with nightblade already.
    Some of you seem interested in any, but still question it.
    Then some of you seem like you dislike it already.

[snip]

Have faith.
    Please pardon the snip, but I wanted to respond to the post as a whole, and it didn't seem necessary to include the whole thing.

That said...

What do you expect, really? Whenever people are faced with a change, particularly an unexpected change they have no say in, they resist. It's just human nature. You can say that they do have a say in it, that they can choose whether to play NB or TUT, but most people think NB is going to kill TUT. And realistically, it probably will, so anyone who wants to play this kind of game is going to have to play NB, so naturally, there's some concern over it.

What all of you who are saying "Don't worry, it'll be OK, this is good" are NOT seeing, is that WE DON'T KNOW THAT. We haven't seen what you have, we don't know how the apparent problems we see have been dealt with and (hopefully) overcome. Ask yourself, if you weren't on the test team, if you hadn't seen NB already, how would YOU be reacting? Be honest, and try to imagine what it would be like for you if you knew NOTHING about NB. MB, I bet if you heard that this new game had no crates, you'd be upset. Phae, if you heard that combat was going to receive more emphasis, how would you react?

That skepticism and concern is going to be there, until people get a chance to see this. Period.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Since this is a new game I would not mind change LR. I really would not. The first time I heard of this ... the only thing I complained / was concerned about was the ability to run it on my comp.

I know people have questions, but then place them in a central " What about this? " thread. Do not spam it all over the forums. One person literly made more then 3 threads, about the same subject. "I won't play , because it's not tut"

Call 0900-PHAE

Since this is a new game I would not mind change LR. I really would not. The first time I heard of this ... the only thing I complained / was concerned about was the ability to run it on my comp.
    The I don't think you're really looking at it from the average player's perspective, rather than that of someone who's been in it for some time already. Try and imagine you know NOTHING about it other than what little info has been posted here. Just TRY it, and forget what you already know from having been involved with the project.

I know people have questions, but then place them in a central " What about this? " thread. Do not spam it all over the forums. One person literly made more then 3 threads, about the same subject. "I won't play , because it's not tut"
    Show me those threads then, all started by the same person, all saying "I'm not gonna play". No one person made that many threads. There probably aren't even three "I'm not gonna play" threads total, much less by one person.

Look, if the dev/tester team was expecting universal "Ooh, ah, oh, wow!" reactions, you're way off base here. People are naturally going to resist major changes to something they've come to love. You're just going to have to deal with the fact that not everyone is going to appreciate this.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    LR, you have to know I did not even touch this game yet. I have seen only 6 screenshots in total, the screens you all allready saw. In little time I will be able to play, and THEN i will know more then you and the rest. Right now I hear people talking about "it was nice" "let's play" etc.

So what you are saying in not true.

About the threads, they had different titles, and different ways of telling it. But the basic was I don't like it, it's not tut.

Call 0900-PHAE

Registered
    Jan 2003

Yes, I have heard that most areas will have good places to hide in. My method of worrying about it, is a queasy feeling in the stomach, with a mix of apperhension. I'm still keeping an open mind.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I was of the opinion NB will be an exceptional game... but...
    These are all the persons working on the mod.
    Among those are 3 members of TSG (the ghosters)
    DEAR GOD NIGHTBLADE IS GOING TO SUCK

Nightmaster,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "until the cat is skinned"

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Its sad to say that TUT is finally going down the pan. Slowly.

But NB will bring a new set of players into the TUT community, surley?! Once you've played Theivery, you'll want to play NB, and vice versa I would have thought. :roll:
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I msut say i'm truthfully frightened about this whole thing. Interactivity is what made Thievery great, the idea of being able to move things about like you would in real life.

My open mind is slowly closing with every word i hear, and even less am i trusting the dev team that has showed us only 6 screenshots and told us it's good. ( no, we're not dogs, and we're not starving. placing a tiny piece of meat won't make us want more). I'm even more worried though, that nothing will open my mind again, and that it's currently open position won't last through the 6 (?) months before release.
    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by FixXxeR
    Its sad to say that TUT is finally going down the pan. Slowly.

But NB will bring a new set of players into the TUT community, surley?! Once you've played Theivery, you'll want to play NB, and vice versa I would have thought. :roll:
    Once people played Tribes 2, did they go back to play Tribes?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Once people played Thief 2 did they go back and play THief?

Yep!
    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

So what you are saying in not true.
    OK, fair enough. You still know a lot more about it than those of us not on the test team, though.

About the threads, they had different titles, and different ways of telling it. But the basic was I don't like it, it's not tut.
    There were no three bitch threads by the same person as you stated, though. And most of it has been pretty calm expressing of concern over what it's going to be like, not "OMG, ITS GOING TO SUXX0R!!!111". That's a perfectly normal reaction to an announcement like this.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Yes, change is hard for some people, I would like to really see one of the Dev's write to us, and maybe calm some of these fears. Give us a little more to go on, that would help.

In the meantime, what choice do we have in this, none. Choices will be made on an individual basis, to play or not to play.

I do feel sorry for the people that have low end systems, and won't be able to run NB.

Who knows what the future holds. I for one am *cautiously optimistic* I can't really judge something I haven't seen yet.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'd say those that fear NB will be blown away by surprise when they try the mod.

And I'd say that those that are looking forward to it will not be dissapointed.

I remember when Dalai told me about NB in the first place... I was acting a bit like you all. But once I saw the screenshot, the idea of testing popped into my head.
    JM

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Radamanthus
    Once people played Thief 2 did they go back and play THief?

Yep!
    Notice the difference.

Thief = Single-player.

Tribes = Multi-player.

Thievery = Multiplayer.

Why did people want to play Thief? Because It continued the story. Because they wanted new places to explore.

I highly doubt that anyone will want to play Thievery, just because they are bored of NB maps.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'd say those that fear NB will be blown away by surprise when they try the mod.
    I can't wait

Just do not release it after Thief3

LR, you have to know I did not even touch this game yet. I have seen only 6 screenshots in total, the screens you all allready saw. In little time I will be able to play, and THEN i will know more then you and the rest. Right now I hear people talking about "it was nice" "let's play" etc.
    Wait, something just struck me about this paragraph. You mean there are people on the test team that can't even PLAY the game? WTF, man?!?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    LR, I will be able to play in little time. That means I am waiting for something, but I allready know I will be able to test the game. Same as someone going on Holiday.

He knows he will be away for 2 weeks, but he can test the game after that.

Call 0900-PHAE

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by LaughingRat
    Wait, something just struck me about this paragraph. You mean there are people on the test team that can't even PLAY the game? WTF, man?!?
    Tell me about it.... Some error must have occured when the team list was made.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    ** logs in and removes PhaeThorn from the testers list. **

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Mercenary
    Once people played Tribes 2, did they go back to play Tribes?
    Actually I did. I personally liked Tribes 1 more.

Thread Information