Thread: Mapping. Bah.

I've been thinking of taking up mapping, and decided, "Hey, I'm pretty fluent with 3d studio now, so it can't be too hard".

Well, I was wrong. Reeeeaaallly wrong. I tried this one basic tutorial, and got confused when it told me to "Maximize the Textured 3D viewport". I mean, I know how to maximize a viewport in 3D studio, but those freaking shortcuts aren't in UED.... and in all the views I didn't even see one of those. Maybe the tutorial was for an older version of UED or something, but anyways... could I get a bit of help here?
    The only constant is change.
    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Registered
    May 2002
    Knowing how to use max will be a BIG bonus if you wanna make maps for the 2k3 engine. Check out some of those 2k3 levels, they have like 1 brush in, just a big empty cube, the rest is high poly static meshes from max. Woot.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    to have a full view viewport in ued you simply have to got to the view tab/viewport and activate floating viewport...

Dalai, you mention that some maps are constructed mainly in 3dsmax. Is gmax suitable for making these meshes and such, or is it *highly* recommended that I acquire a full version of Max? Or perhaps Maya PLE (which I'm guessing is similar to gmax)?

Thanks!

You might not even be able to export into a usable format with Gmax, I think the only thing that it exports to is .gmax or something like that. UED3 models need a .ASE file format to import.

EDIT: Maya makes a free version of their software, but it's pretty complex to learn.
    http://www.alias.com/eng/products-se...le/index.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Omega
    You might not even be able to export into a usable format with Gmax, I think the only thing that it exports to is .gmax or something like that. UED3 models need a .ASE file format to import.

EDIT: Maya makes a free version of their software, but it's pretty complex to learn.
    http://www.alias.com/eng/products-se...le/index.shtml
    You can also use milkshape 3d
    MilkShape 3d

Registered
    May 2002
    Get the tutorials from 3dbuzz, there's the best for quick and easy learning.
    Red Guard
    Thievery UT

In my opinion.--> I downloaded Gmax, Milkshape, and all those other free modeling tools, I don't think they're that great, MilkShape = Can't save/load/import in other words useless, Gmax is nice, only it has some problems/errors for me. 3D Studio Max, Maya are the best! Worth the money I'd say, or for other bad guys here, worth the connection speed if you know what I mean, but that was for the bad guys which there are none here. Well I like 3Dbuzz's tutorials on the UT2004 bonus CD, but I can't find many beginner tutorials on the 3Dbuzz site about UV mapping. So, I am still in search for some good tutorials. If anyone has found a good beginner tutorial about UV/UVW Mapping please send it to me!
    SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpamSlayer
    In my opinion.--> I downloaded Gmax, Milkshape, and all those other free modeling tools, I don't think they're that great, MilkShape = Can't save/load/import in other words useless,
    What are you talking about? First of all milkshape isn't free but its way cheaper than MAX and secondly I can save/load/import with my milkshape just fine. Milkshape is hardly useless.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    You can actually get a 2 year 3dsmax 7 student licens for 100$... If you're a student.
    Compared to the normal price of... 3500$ or so, that's a fairly good deal.
    Last edited by Master-Builder; 5th Nov 2004 at 06:12 AM.

Registered
    May 2002
    .. It's up to version 7 now? Fuck.
    Red Guard
    Thievery UT

Registered
    Jun 2003
    If you download the 30 day trial and change the date in windows, you can cheat the trial.

Not sure how well this works, but I tried moving the date back a couple days and it added a couple more onto the "days left" counter.
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Try setting your windows clock waaaay ahead before installing, then switching it to the real date once it's installed, that tends to work with some stuff as well
    It's amazing the shoddy programming some people get away with...
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Altho some programs detect the Cheat.

Registered
    May 2002
    There are of course also other ways to get around those 30 day limits.
    Red Guard
    Thievery UT

For example, a "time-machine"

HTH
    <Gullonefoxy> I rekkon Ulus Like a mad Gothic french guy

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I found this piece of software called Autodesk Revit, used for professional architecture. It's pretty neat that it exports to DXFs, LWOs, and ASEs, so all i need to do is spend an hour making a house in there, and export->import and voila! a completely untextured level!

Too bad it runs around $3,000, and the forum won't let me talk about "sharing" so i cna't give it to y'all

The best way to get into mapping for 2K3: use other people's meshes. The best way: learn 3Dstudio.
    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Quote Originally Posted by XenoPhobe
    What are you talking about? First of all milkshape isn't free but its way cheaper than MAX and secondly I can save/load/import with my milkshape just fine. Milkshape is hardly useless.
    Not unless u do it that windows way that Builder was talking about, well anyways i got it that way.
    SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

Yeah well I paid for my copy of milkshape

Registered
    May 2002
    UT2003 came with a version of Maya PLE for creating meshes for Unreal. This works great. With GMax it's slightly harder, you'd have to export to the quake mdl format and take it through Milkshape, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalai
    UT2003 came with a version of Maya PLE for creating meshes for Unreal. This works great. With GMax it's slightly harder, you'd have to export to the quake mdl format and take it through Milkshape, I believe.
    Personally I've found the maya ple harder to use, but that just me.
    It also WAY more bulky on my hard drive.
    I use milkshape to export to a .lwo and then import the .lwo to UnrealEd.
    This works great for static meshes - but animations have a reversed axis bug (can't remember which as its been awhile) when importing to unrealed which makes animating EXTREMELY difficult though not impossible.

Thread Information