Thread: Thief Regular Thievery Newbie question

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I enjoy thief1/2 most of the time but installed thievery and have played a little.
    I can't get into it though as I can't find information covering game play.

How do you use the lock picks in thievery? I have loaded a few levels that start me out in a room with a locked door and I can't open the door.

Also can you run in thievery as you seem to move very slowly in thievery?

Thanks to all who reply. =)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coniptor
    I enjoy thief1/2 most of the time but installed thievery and have played a little.

How do you use the lock picks in thievery? I have loaded a few levels that start me out in a room with a locked door and I can't open the door.

to use lockpicks, right click on the door until it shows your lockpicks at the bottom right of the screen. you should then right click on the door again, but this time hold down the right button of the mouse. if all goes well, you should hear some clicking noises, and soon you will be free!

to run, make sure your movement key is set to run.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I havent played it myself but there is a tutorial level available.

You can download it here:
    http://www.tears-of-blood.com/downloads/maps/TH-tut.zip
    Feel the power of the

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I enjoy thief1/2 most of the time
    ONLY MOST OF THE TIME! HERESY! BURN HIM!

but installed thievery and have played a little.
    LITTLE! play more. Please.

http://www.thieveryut.com/Guide/index.htm

Yes, you should have "always run" set to on, and keep a key for creep(walk) also ducking and creeping can slow your pace further, don't expect to be wazzing around the levels like Doom or Hexen tho.

Its ok. no really!
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I enjoy thief1/2 most of the time
    How do you use the lock picks in thievery?
    Strange... Uh... the same way as in T1 and T2, in fact its easier because you dont have different kinds of picks.... just hold frob over the door with the picks. Tadaaa'.

All the info you need is right here! Muhahaha!
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hey guess what? Santa Hat season is coming...
    Some doors you can't lockpick. Look for alternate routes (look down or up).

Registered
    Jan 2003
    You know that voice in your head? Well...
    Some additional notes_ If a door cannot be lockpicked- it will say so if you try. Also, not all doors are openable of course. For those, you will not see a door icon appear. After playing for a little bit, you will figure which textures are typically used for this. Remeber, this is not a hard and fast rule.

As for moving slower then thief, you should be moving faster in Thievery (reason for the above "make sure you use run, not creep" comments above. It is assumed you know how to change UT key settings. The thief tools should be familar to you as they are found in Thief for the most part, or at least something similar. Guards have additional items as explained in the sections given.

Some notes to them-

Caltrops are thrown three at a time, do not affect guards, and slow down/hurt (like a paralyse arrow) any thief who steps on them.

Mines are lockpickable by thiefs. Once acquired by theif, they can be relaid. They only hurt the opposing team.

Chest- replenishes guard flares and standard bolts, up to an inividual inventory maximum of three flares and 10 bolts.

repair tool- "use" this to repair whislters (portable thief alrams) disabled by water arrows and a destroyed chest.

Remeber to be silent as thief, and listen carfully as a guard. It is possible for a gaurd to track a thief by sound alone.

Have fun- see on online!
    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Good time to bring this suggestion back to everyones atention again:

In BUY mode, the right part of the screen should display a window telling players what certain items do when you hover the mouse over them.

Those who want to play a game ussually want to have fun. Having to read XX tutorials before you can even attempt to just play the game is not fun. An integrated tutorial would be so userfriendly (I hope this get's considered for nightblade as well).

Perhaps you could even add non-buyable items in the BUY mode. A few extra tabs with OBJECTIVES and GENERAL OBJECTS depending on maps would be very usefull. In case of Aquatone for instance, the objectives tab would hold for instance the options Evidence, Loot and Elevator(escape), (displaying pictures of the objectives, plus how much you need of them). The general Objects would show pictures of stuff that's on that map that isn't so self explanatory, for instance locked chests, Watchers, keys (which aren't objective keys), spiders and other stuff that's 'unique' to that map.

User friendlyness > all

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Thanks to all that replied.
    I had gotten the lockpick icon to come up once before but wasn't sure how to activate it. Now I do, thanks.
    As far as my comment about enjoying thief 1/2 most of the time. I didn't phrase that right. I actually enjoy thief 1/2 and the fan missions available for both the whole time I play them. The only times during game play I haven't are when I'm playing with a not fully patched thief 1 or 2 install and a fan mission makes use of maps I don't have and you wind up with all blue rooms and invisible guards which often times are apart of your objectives and make the game unfinishible at that point.
    So the only time I'm not enjoying thief1/2 or the fan missions are when I'm not playing them. =)
    As far as playing more. I will but only on my own to begin with.
    I'm not crazy about getting the snot beat out of me so I'll have to get comfortable with thievery by my self before I join any team. Most likely thief teams to begin with.
    I'll look into playing as a guard latter on.

Also I think I left the impression that I don't play alot of thief. Couldn't be further from the truth. I've beat thief 1 and 2 on all difficulty settings but mostly easy and expert, the majority being expert around 11 times now each. I've beat all thief 1 missions to my knowledge and am a little over half way through the thief2 missions but more have come out for both so I have more to play I'm sure.

As far as running I had looked through unreal's key map and hadn't noticed always run but I'll give it another look once my machine is back up.
    My asus motherboard is away on rma now and I'm waiting for it to return in working order again.

Also. Once I know how to add new levels to thievery in unreal I'll check out that tutorial level as well.

Also thanks for the information on which doors can and can't be picked. Sounds just like thief 1 and 2 except the mouse frobing is a little different.

As far as playing more. I will but only on my own to begin with.
    I'm not crazy about getting the snot beat out of me so I'll have to get comfortable with thievery by my self before I join any team. Most likely thief teams to begin with.
    I'll look into playing as a guard latter on.
    Don't mean to discourage you, but no matter how much you play on your own, once you start playing multiplayer, you're going to get the snot beat out of you. Playing against computer controlled AI guards is nothing like playing against human guards.

You also won't always be able to play thief. You'll have to look into playing as a guard right away, because there's an ingame team balance that's enforced. Players who play thief one round are likely to end up on the guard team next round, even if they choose the thief team again. Don't worry, though, playing a guard isn't as bad as it may seem at first, and it'll make you a better thief, too.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    You know that voice in your head? Well...
    Figuring out the maps on your own first-is the best way to go. Specing other players also helps). Map knowledge is crucial to this game.

Under the TUT Control properties there is a key setting for "Run forward" and another for "walk forward." If you feel you are just crawling along, make sure you arte using the run key. If you are, fin dyour crouch toggle key and make sure you are not crouched. About all that can be said there.

Word of warning-serious movement issues may occur if you are in water and crouched. Known game bug.

There is also a bug with one kind of order that human guards can give give AI guards.
    AI currently ignore orders to patrol- know issue (I beleive it is fixed in 1.5). TO give AI orders, simply walk up and when you see the AI's icon appear frob., and pick order form list.
    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    and you should look here here too.
    I guess you won't need it at the beginning, but later if you are better and want to know more stuff it can help you!
    happy
    "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the additional info. I'll put it to use once I get my fixed/replaced asus mb.
    LaughingRat: Oh I'm sure I'll get the snot beat out of me in some ways. But like Thebos said. I want to know the maps. Also
    I need to know how to react in thievery. In thief and thief2 the keyboard and mouse are like an extension of my body in the same way your car or bike eventually becomes. I need that with thievery too.
    Also as far as just getting the snot beat out of me.
    I hate playing with people who are very skilled but want nothing more than to beat down everyone around them saying/thinking "I'm king of the mountain!" but who aren't interested in a real challenge or allowing other players to become a challenge to them. I've come across these people far more than I like too in life and you especially can't avoid them in a online game. So I like to be or get prepared.
    You know?
    Thanks for the link Sandman; and the additional info Thebos. =)
    LaughingRat: also thanks for that info about the teams.
    I wasn't aware of that.
    What missions/levels are favorites online? Which should I practice with the most?
    Thanks again all. =)

Registered
    Sep 2003
    I *DID* beat Thievery! YEAH! (confirmed by dragon)
    I hate playing with people who are very skilled but want nothing more than to beat down everyone around them saying/thinking...
    Ok, if I see you playing I'll go easy on you. Feel free to ask me for some help/tips&pointers in game.

LaughingRat: Oh I'm sure I'll get the snot beat out of me in some ways. But like Thebos said. I want to know the maps.
    That's a good plan. It'll get you at least basic knowledge. Once you start playing against other people, though, you'll learn the maps in a way singleplayer could never teach you, though.

Also I need to know how to react in thievery. In thief and thief2 the keyboard and mouse are like an extension of my body in the same way your car or bike eventually becomes. I need that with thievery too.
    Setting up your keybinds in Thievery to be similar or identical to what you use for Thief/Thief2 will make that a lot easier.

Also as far as just getting the snot beat out of me.
    I hate playing with people who are very skilled but want nothing more than to beat down everyone around them saying/thinking "I'm king of the mountain!" but who aren't interested in a real challenge or allowing other players to become a challenge to them. I've come across these people far more than I like too in life and you especially can't avoid them in a online game.
    I hear you. You'll see some of that in Thievery, too, but because it's a very small, tight-knit community, there's a bit less of it. People who are too obnoxious become really unpopular, really fast.

LaughingRat: also thanks for that info about the teams.
    I wasn't aware of that.
    No problem. I was in a bit of a pissy mood when I posted that, so I may have come across as a bit more harsh than I intended. If so, I apologize.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by -=V12US=-
    <snip>

Those who want to play a game ussually want to have fun. Having to read XX tutorials before you can even attempt to just play the game is not fun. An integrated tutorial would be so userfriendly (I hope this get's considered for nightblade as well).

<snip>
    *recalls bf1942/DoD integrated tutorials*

These were greatly irritating. A html/xml document with screens shots of players performing certain actions would be more than sufficient.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by impulse

*recalls bf1942/DoD integrated tutorials*

These were greatly irritating. A html/xml document with screens shots of players performing certain actions would be more than sufficient.
    I see... then why does this thread exist?

Thread Information