Thread: Server won't list on master server

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I've been trying to mess with getting a server up for a while now. I have two computers, and I would like to start a dedicated server on one of them. First problem (of many), my server doesn't show up on the master server list, even with the box that says "advertise server" checked.

I'm guessing this is why (copyed and pasted from the unreal server console):

Log: Resolved unreal.epicgames.com (207.135.145.4)
    ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Master Server is unreal.epicgames.com:27900
    ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Port 7779 successfully bound.
    Log: Resolved master0.gamespy.com (207.38.8.34)
    ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Master Server is master0.gamespy.com:27900
    ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Port 7779 successfully bound.
    Log: AInternetLink Resolve failed: Can't find host master.mplayer.com (WSANO_DATA)
    ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Failed to resolve master server address, aborting.

>

Registered
    Jan 2003
    That's not the reason. That secondary master server hasn't been running for quite some time now.

Your problem is probably a router/firewall problem. It could also be that sometimes it takes a while for a server to show up in the server list.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I've gone and told my router to open port 7777 through 7782. Now is there a system file in my unreal/thievery folder that I need to edit? Or is all I have to do is go to start multiplayer game, choose my settings, choose the server name, make sure advertise server is checked, and change the port from 80 (default) to 7777?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    You need to forward port 27900 as well.

Your server should work just fine at it's current settings, but it has no way to advertise itself without 27900 open.

heya anar, welcome to the serverworld

its excact what is said. just give in ur router/firewall these ports free:

7777-7789
    and 27900

make sure (as far u have router) to have the ports forwarded to the correct serverpc.

dont try to check the internetlist with ur own server, if u have a router. u will not find it, only on LAN tab. this is because routers deny "loopback", which means, it is not possible to connect internet with "pc A" just to connect something via internet on that "pc A".

any questions more? just feel free to ask.
    notice: should be interested to run server for constantly, just check ToB, CrkZ Sites for Utilities like "Webchatlog", and so sweet little usefull Adminstuff.

or just contact me, i ll give u url to download from my then.

anar, again:
    welcome to the world of servers
    good to see u around.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    thanks admins I'll be keeping in touch and tweaking this server until eventually it runs, i'll keep you all posted, and thanks again for the help

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Okay, now i'm even more confused. Before, when I started the server, dedicated or not, my server would'nt list on the master server. So I would go to my other computer, and see if it would list on the master server, ...it still wouldn't. So I said, okay fine, how about i typed in the server ip address under "open connection," so I would type in the ip addres 192.168.0.4:7777, and I couldn't connect to the server manually. So after the post of opening the port 27900 I did, and low and behold, I can connect to my server from my other computer by manually typing in the ip address as mentioned aboved. I can connect to the server, play the level, and see myself playing the level on the computer running the server. However, the problem is the server never shows up on the master server. The only way I can play on the server is by manually typing the address under open connection as above. So my problems lies here, I can connect to the server by going to open connection and typing in 192.168.0.4:7777. However, nobody knows about the server unless they manually type in that ip address. I'm missing something somewhere and I can't figure it out

not a problem at all, anar.

1. do u have router?
    2. do router run firewall?
    3. that firewall gives the ports 7777-7789 free and forward to 192.168.0.4 (ur example pc)?
    4. that firewall gives the port 27900 free and forwart to 192.168.0.4 (ur example pc)?
    5. do u have softwarefirewall on ur pc, like ZONEALARM,NORTON,OUTPOST?
    6. then notice to give there the ports free on ur serverpc, too.
    7. do u run winxp?
    8. is the xp included firewall enabled?
    9. disable that then

10. finally,
    10a: no one from outside will be able to connect ur server by manually typing 192.168.x.x, this is ONLY working for LAN connection, all pc inbetween ur house/room, behind the router.
    10b: the master servers sometimes really need some time to fresh up. could be needed one hour sometimes. just let it run and check it after a while.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Ok, what Brody has told you is true, consider that the master server takes about 3-4 hours to update, I had to leave my server on for about 24 hours before it began to advertise, once you've done this it seems to stay there.

Your best bet to get somebody OUTSIDE your network to connect via the direct IP because as brody says, your router will translate any outside address into an inside address regardless.
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Open ThAux.ini from your \UnrealTournament\System folder and edit the following line under the [UWeb.WebServer] section:

ServerName=

to

ServerName=your.Internet.IP.Address

Save the file and restart the server.
    No Linux, No Choice.
    Know Linux, Know Choice.

the first time i started my server I had the same problem.
    If you're running windows XP, make sure the XP firewall is turned off.
    Do that by going to ur control panel/internet connections, hit the advanced tab
    and uncheck the xp firewall box.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    You know that voice in your head? Well...
    This is probably not your issue, but I had problem were my firewall idle time setting was too high. After initialing appearing, the server would disappear. Currently have idle time set to two minutes.

My initial trials and tribulations when trying to start the server can be found here:

http://www.thieveryut.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3342

Maybe something useful for you there, do not know.

It has also been noted a UT 451 server may not appear on the All Seeing Eye. It will appear if you check through thievery. Which version of UT are you using?

Also, once you get it yours running, get the webchat log off of Brody's home page. Would suggest using that fro records, and turning off the UT log. The server would, after a fashion, start slowing down (lagging), then eventually crash. Only unusual I noticed was the test file log UT generates by default was about 16M at the time of the crash. Suspecting that writing to this file bogged the game causing the crash, turned it off. The crash has not happened since. There may have been something esle going on, or another way around, I do not know. The webchatlog provides the key inforamtion, and writes to a new file every round.
    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    The problem definately lies with the router. My cable modem plugs into the router, 2 cables from the router run the internet on my two different computers. So I decided to bypass the router, and just run the cable from the cable modem directly to my network card on the server instead of running it from the router. What do you know, within ten minutes I had two people playing on the server. I don't get it, I've opened up the ports on the router, and set the ip address for those ports. I've followed the directions from the netgear website that says how to do portforwarding, but it still won't work. hmm....

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Are you sure you've forwarded the ports to the right machine(or any machine for that matter). I know I've set up ports to be forwarded to the wrong machine before.

Open up the command prompt(when you're connected to the network) and enter ipconfig to get the ip for that computer so you know where to forward it to and see if that's the problem.

Hopefully that's the only problem.

Oh and did you do as LeatherMan said?

anar, ur server is up, i saw him just yet. not sure, if router is on now or not.
    u have two choices for the netgear router:

1. portforwarding!
    lets say ur server pc is 192.168.0.2, then u have to give the ports 7777-7789 free and forward to 192.168.0.2 AND the port 27900 to give free and forward to 192.168.0.2.
    NOTICE: FiREWALL RULES at netgear router must be enabled.

2. u can switch ur server pc as DMZ!
    lets say ur server pc is 192.168.0.2, then check FIREWALL RULES and define 192.168.0.2 as DMZ. that means "demilitarized" and THAT pc is not protected through netgear´s firewall. then i suggest u to install a software firewall to protect ur pc itself.

i run netgear router, too and as u know, i handle four thievery servers and one viecong server on it. the settings in between the routers are a bit diff, due diff fabricate or update drivers.

maybe u can tell me which specific router u run? so i can check it out.

btw: just read salvage´s post. this idea is a worth thought. see, if the router is set, on DHCP on, that means, the pc will get their 192.168.0.x ips FROM THE ROUTER. WHICH IP GETS WHICH NUMBER DEFINES THE ROW OF BOOTING/CONTACT. that means, maybe yesterday pc A had 192.168.0.2 and today that ip is on pc C, due earlier boot. in that case i suggest u to reserve 192.168.0.2 (or which number u prefer) for the server ip. so that always the same pc will get the same lan ip. check LAN IP SETUP for it.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    My server is finally up!! I have to thank Brody for that, I turned DMZ on for the server and within minutes it showed up on the master server. Within an hour I had Leatherman on trying to give the server "hell."

How do I talk to the players? Like when Grank talks as the admin to the players and the text is white. He's not on the server, but somehow he can talk to them.

I'm going to be downloading all the latest maps for the server, and installing BDB Map Vote like on Crackaz.

I'll also be tweaking the system for a while, so I can maximize everybody's ping.

Thank you to everybody, without your help the server wouldn't be up

Registered
    Jan 2003
    The Admin: text is the webadmin. You'll need to enable it and go to that PCs ip and to the port you have webadmin on(I think it's called remote admin).

CHANGE THE PASSWORD!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Due to Leatherman's request I now have a better map list. And thanks to grank, the map vote works. So now all I have to do is work on improving people's ping, give me time to do some tweaking, and we all can play fair

aahaaaaaaaa so we got one step closer, great.

admin talks to players:
    1: open ur "thaux.ini" which is in unrealtournament/system and find [Engine.Gameeingine]. There u delete the ";" at "Serveractors=UWeb.Webserver"
    2. scroll down to [Uweb.Webserver]. There u switch "bEnbabled=False" to "bEnabled=true"

Thats it. now your Webadmin is running. To connect it just open ur InternetBrowser and type in between LAN "http://192.168.0.x/serveradmin", as far your Serverpc has the Number 192.168.0.2. Standard pass is "admin/admin", which you should change then.

How to get better connection for players?

1. open ur "thaux.ini" again and find "Ipdrv.TCPNetDriver". There you see "Maxclientrate". In the link down below you will see a little manual about what is what and how to handle.
    http://www.unrealadmin.org/
    check for tutorials

Registered
    Apr 2004
    ive noticed that thievery, unlike most other games dosent have overly large ping packets, so pings a generally better with lower client rates
    (the lower the client rate the more poeple you can have on teh server, the higher it is, the better the ping, the less the poeple) also when you think about setting your client rate, you also need to think who you are servicing, say if you were in australia and a client was in say spain, his ping would be 400+ no matter how high the client rate. Through experimentation with my own server, the most Efficient client rate (most poeple with best pings) is about 2500 - 3000 , that gives most poeple a ping of about 100, + or - depending on how close to server they are ( eg. Fixxxer would get a ping of about 20 to my server good luck mate
    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

this is definatley wrong. also i ask you not to remark each possibility you have about your "uberserver". is it a server for public or for your ego, necros?

ok. the maxclientrate is NOT the special point of getting high ping or not. its nothing else but bandwidth, you spend for each players. it will touch the ping a bit, but definately extraordinary.

finally it is a real good mix between maxclientrate and servertickrate. also i ask you, anar to ignore that. dont try settings out. better is to follow the suggestions of the current and most experienced serveradmins like ctg´s and mog´s.

necros, what really makes ping changes is the fastpath, so if ur isp has fastpath opened for you, u will get the lowest pings on your server. and really, plz, in each possibility u remark it. i am happy for you, that u run a server, i am happy for u, when it runs very well, but u know urself, it is annoying to hear that each day and each day again.

i am happy for the community, that there are good servers. i ask you necros, nothing else. no need to discuss that here, cuz that is anar´s thread, thx.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    The server has been changed over to ThiefMatch. I'll see if anybody plays on this server with this gametype. If it's dead, I'll switch it back to Thieves vs. Guards.

Thread Information