Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34

Thread: How to turn friendly fire off?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Registered
    May 2004
    Posts
    3

    How to turn friendly fire off?

    I looked through the AlienSwarm.ini file and couldnt find where to turn off the friendly fire. Is it even possible to turn off friendly fire,i.e. players can't kill other players.

    Neoaetas

  2. #2
    Go solo.

    That's the only way.
    Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

  3. #3
    New Member
    Registered
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    Bummer. We're having a small lan here and i've got about 6 people playing it. Since its there (and my) first time playing this mod they asked me to turn off friendly fire because they keep killing eachother accidentally. Oh well. :p

    Neoaetas

  4. #4
    Yeah it's odd - you can not be hurt by bots, but any player can hurt anything else (bots, or players). It'd be nice to be able to adjust a slider on that, UT-style.

    But then, it would lose some atmosphere. You know the game's about terror as well as fun, how scary would it be if you could just spin in a circle firing?

  5. #5
    Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,957
    After just 24 hours of playing, I've noticed that the improvement in friendly fire, teamkilling, and natural tactics is dramatic. I don't think there will be any need to turn it off, and besides, it adds to the difficulty

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa
    After just 24 hours of playing, I've noticed that the improvement in friendly fire, teamkilling, and natural tactics is dramatic. I don't think there will be any need to turn it off, and besides, it adds to the difficulty
    DING! We have a winner!
    One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -
    The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

  7. #7
    Member
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Location
    .nl
    Posts
    2,813
    And also, friendly fire keeps people from running like rambo through the game. That's not the way to go. Rely on your team and stick together, you'll be fine.

  8. #8
    Omega I didn't get what did you say. Becose friendly fire is when your team can or can't hurt you. Not when aliens can or can't hurt you. This idea came when you say "And also, friendly fire keeps people from running like rambo through the game".Whant it or not but if people want then he can run true the game like Rambo. And sticking to your team is just another way to die.

  9. #9
    New Member
    Registered
    May 2004
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by HaRRiKiRi
    Omega I didn't get what did you say. Becose friendly fire is when your team can or can't hurt you. Not when aliens can or can't hurt you. This idea came when you say "And also, friendly fire keeps people from running like rambo through the game".Whant it or not but if people want then he can run true the game like Rambo. And sticking to your team is just another way to die.
    hmmm... ramboing (referring to running'n'gunning careless about scenario/ teammates) is exceptionally easy without ff, especially in this game, where you have such efficient weapons as the autos.

    Even if I only play on LAN, I'd be inclined to disagree with FF OFF, even as an option.

    90% of games (in general, not only Alien Swarm) in which FF is OFF become shitty, online, in a matter of a couple weeks, because it is extremely easy to pull the trigger as soon as you see an enemy, knowing that you won't hurt your teammates.
    As I see it, O4f (off ff) makes for an average lower player skill, and thus a steep curve of loss of interest, with the consequent possible cheating/ exploiting.

  10. #10
    Member
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Location
    .nl
    Posts
    2,813
    Exactly.

    People complete games too easily these days.

  11. #11
    Regardless, it would still be nice to at least have the OPTION to turn FF on or off for mp games at the screen where you select difficulty level.

  12. #12
    New Member
    Registered
    May 2004
    Posts
    10
    I don't want to see an option where FF is turned off, because everyone would just Rambo it, but I'd like to see it turned down maybe 50%.

  13. #13
    Member TafferBoy's Avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canberra Australia
    Posts
    2,225
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony
    Yeah it's odd - you can not be hurt by bots, but any player can hurt anything else (bots, or players). It'd be nice to be able to adjust a slider on that, UT-style.
    The bots can hurt you, they just don't fire if they will.
    A slider would be nice, so that a misplaced shot here and there, don't result in the death of a Team-mate.

    However you run the risk of killing team-mates if you carelessly use the more powerful weapons, such as shotguns, or flamers. A little bit of rifle fire dosen't do too much damage to friendlies, on the other hand.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by FelixTT
    I don't want to see an option where FF is turned off, because everyone would just Rambo it
    No they wouldn't because A: it'd be an option so the server can just leave FF enabled if they want it on, and B: because the aliens will rape anyone who tries to "Rambo it" as is proven time and again on pub servers where some idiot thinks he's going to rush ahead to get the most kills and always ends up infected and hopefully the medics let him die for being greedy.

    but I'd like to see it turned down maybe 50%.
    I wouldn't. I like it how it is. But I'd also like the OPTION to turn it off if I want to.

  15. #15
    Member
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Location
    .nl
    Posts
    2,813
    You can't be hit by AI.

    And if you try to shoot AI they'll crouch.

  16. #16
    You all got my vote on "leave it as it is".
    Imagine just 3-4 guys with flamers and autoguns without friendly fire. No more tactics or teamwork needed.
    Friendly fire is one of the things that make this mod fun for me.

  17. #17
    Member
    Registered
    May 2004
    Posts
    74
    If you control your fire, you will rarely ever hit friendlies.

    my tips:

    1) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS carry a team friendly (either assault rifle or a autocannon) backup weapon when using one of the team unfriendly ones (flame thrower or assault shotgun).

    2) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS switch to your team friendly backup weapon when near friendlies and if you have to fire at an alien right next to a friendly, fire in small bursts since they are enough to kill aliens and yet not enough to kill marines.

    3) Remember that kills are meaningless. Your objective is to complete the mission and as long as it doesn't endanger the mission, with as many fellow marines still alive as possible. I see way too many people putting their team in danger just so they can get a few kills and you can be damn sure i don't help these people. In fact after the third or forth time of telling them to stop killing aliens and join the group so that we can seal the door, i just seal the door anyway.

  18. #18
    You forgot 4) You don't always have to help. If a guy with an autogun is approached by less than 4-5 aliens (depending on their distance) he can very well handle them on his own. I notice that most of the friendly fire comes from everyone shooting at 1 or 2 aliens when only the guy at the front can handle it himself.

  19. #19
    That's because people are greedy for kills and in their haste to try to take a couple kills from the autogun guy, a couple rounds hit the autogun guy. Part of this is due to the current system where kills determine so much of the award stars you get after a mission, which leaves techies, medics, and sgts much less upgrade potential since the autogunners get the vast majority of the kills (and rightly so). This is why medics and techies need some other way to get stars based on their healing, their hacking, etc, which would enable them to get the necessary tech level upgrades to heal better and hack higher level computers while still HOPEFULLY being able to toss a point or two towards their health, speed, or accuracy.

    It would enable everyone to have a proper number of upgrade stars after a mission if it was based as follows:

    Sgts = majority of star bonus determined by completing missions and mission objectives in various times. They're supposed to be the leaders so if they can get their team to accomplish goals in less time they should get a bigger bonus.

    Autogunners = majority of bonus stars should be determined by kills since they are the heavy hitters.

    Medics = majority of star bonuses through how much they heal and something else creative.

    Techies = majority of star bonus determined by hacking and something else creative.


    Heck I wish the whole system had a monetary bonus base as well for everyone in addition to their upgrade stars, so that they could purchase better weaponry once they get enough cash. Ammo could stay free, but just the weaponry itself would need to be purchased. This would force autogunners to start out with only rifles w/ flashlights, etc. This would really help people to appreciate the better weaponry.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzle
    You all got my vote on "leave it as it is".
    Imagine just 3-4 guys with flamers and autoguns without friendly fire. No more tactics or teamwork needed.
    Friendly fire is one of the things that make this mod fun for me.

    SO PLAY WITH THE OPTION SET TO FF=ON. It's not that hard to comprehend that more options allows more replayability and more life in the game. Forcing a limit as far as FF always being on means those of us who would like to will never be able to enjoy a fun round where we can just all take flamethrowers and spray away. Stop limiting US because YOU don't want to participate in it. No one is forcing you to. Stick with your FF=ON but stop fighting against allowing an option for others to choose to turn it off some of the time. Jeez.

  20. #20
    Member
    Registered
    May 2004
    Posts
    74
    I think they should make fire mines give kills since they are fun
    I remember one rescue mission where everyone but me died by the time i got to the lift. I was able to set a fire mine barrier in front me on the lift that basically killed nearly all of the aliens that rush tried to rush me

  21. #21
    I thought the sentry gave its kills to its owner and thus firemines give kills to their placer? If not you're right they certainly should!

  22. #22
    Member
    Registered
    May 2004
    Posts
    74
    I am pretty sure that sentry guns and fire mines don't give you kills since when i throw down either in front of a large wave of aliens, my kill count doesn't seem to go up.

  23. #23
    Project Lead Dalai's Avatar
    Registered
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,369
    Mines do give kills, Sentry Gun doesn't.

  24. #24
    I think if there is a slider for multiplayer only, just make a graphic next to the server for FF on or off. So you can join whatever you want. Its not that hard and it gives people who want it on or off a good choice. So its no surprise when you join the server. Even if you result to 4 people spinning in circles with flamers on, you still get ganked like a mad man anyway because you can't spin or fire fast enough.

    *off topic* Thanks to all who told me about the settings deal with flares, forgot AS reset my settings. ^^

  25. #25

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by TafferBoy
    The bots can hurt you, they just don't fire if they will.
    I'm not sure that's correct - one of my bots hosed me last night with the flamer, to absolutely no effect. Didn't take damage, didn't set off my ammo bag, nothing.

    Maybe they're just so good at aiming they shoot around you; I would have thought the flamer would have obviated that kind of thing tho.

  26. #26
    New Member
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    VA, USA
    Posts
    17
    Please don't have an option to turn it off. With it off the game would be a braindead clickfest. When people see that it can be turned off they will whine untill it is, and then everyone will be doomed to boredom. As it is most complainers stop when they realize there is no option and just deal with it.

    At most have a slider that has a lower limit of 50% friendly damage or have it tied directly to difficulty.

  27. #27
    New Member
    Registered
    May 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    You can't be hit by AI.

    And if you try to shoot AI they'll crouch.

    Wow I didn't realize you gibbed when you crouched...

    Bots definately do not 'evade' anything.
    --Flak

  28. #28
    Oh yeh, they positively like getting toasted by me.

  29. #29
    Mapper DusKer's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hadley's Hope
    Posts
    231
    FF Off is just such a bad idea... i don't even know how to begin... Please, just think about what will actually happen in an non FF game
    Meow.

  30. #30
    New Member Grim's Avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    22
    idd FF off would make the gameplay totally crap.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •