Thread: Bonus Equip?

Registered
    Jan 2003

Bonus Equip?

Everyone has found the "secret rooms" with ammo in most maps, however, wouldn't it be much more awesome if these secret rooms actually had stuff in it which makes you go "Wow!"?

Secret rooms would have stuff that you can't get from the initial equip screen, and would carry on to the next mission until the ammo of that weapon runs out. Sounds awesome? I think it does.

PRIMARY/SECONDARY EQUIPS:

Pulserifle NToxin ammunition:
    Straight from SynAps R&D labs comes this pack of modified pulserifle clips.
    The shells themselves are filled with small canisters of a bioagent toxin that attacks the nervesystem of all swarm creatures. The toxin is designed to do minimal damage against human targets, so friendly fire is not an issue.
    Converts a rifle to a NToxin rifle, even if it's carried as secondary. You can only pick this ammunitionpack if you have a standard rifle on you.
    - Slightly less damage than standard rifle shot.
    - Slows down any target you hit by 50% for a second.
    - No friendly fire.

IAF Tactical Vulcan Minigun:
    A big bastard of a gun that has a wide spread and doesn't benefit from autoaim. When firing this weapon, you cannot move, but anything that tries to move in from the front gets shredded to tiny bits... including teammates. (Consider this a long ranged flamethrower of some sort).
    - Large clip, high ROF, large firing cone
    - No moving when firing
    - Can only be used by marines trained in Special weapons

Prototype Gas Launcher:
    A modified grenade launcher that fires gasfilled grenades that kill any aliens in their radius. The gas doesn't kill marines directly, but if they stay too long in the clouds, they'll eventually choke to death.
    The gas cloud takes a while to dissipate, so the grenades can be used to effectively block an area of aliens for a while.
    - Instantly kills small aliens in it's blast radius
    - Gasclouds very rapidly kill aliens
    - Marines in the clouds take damage after 5 seconds
    - Small clip size (5 shots?)

Riot gun:
    A slugfilled type of shotgun that packs an incredible punch (and smashes through multiple aliens) but has to be reloaded after every shot. It makes scrap metal out of locked/welded doors.
    As a bonus, the riot gun has an attached grenade launcher system with three proximity grenades.
    - Slow ROF, high damage
    - Proximity grenades detonate whenever something moves near.
    - Can only be used by marines trained in explosives.

UTILITY SLOT EQUIPS:

Servo System:
    A slot 3 utility item that improves movement speed of your marine by 15%.
    It also adds a little autoaim like the flashlight.
    - You keep this the entire campaign unless you die or pick another utility item when you're in the equip screen.

Ammo belt:
    A slot 3 utility item that adds 1 clip for your primary and secondary weapon. Usefull if you're running low on ammo all the time and an ammopack isn't enough.
    - You keep this the entire campaign unless you die or pick another utility item when you're in the equip screen.

Advanced hacking tool:
    A piece of technology developed especially for marines trained in tech systems. It makes hacking much easier.
    - Reduces hacking time by 75%
    - Raises special skill by 1
    - Can only be used by marines trained in tech systems.

Repellant Pheromone:
    Another inovative product from SynAps' R&D section. This small kit holds 3 cannisters of an experimental synthetic swarm pheromone released by wounded aliens. Marines treated by this pheromone will not by recognised as threats by the swarm. Unfortunately, the pheromone dissipates in open air very quickly. Another nasty side effect is that autotargetting systems seem to recognise treated marines as aliens and will target them. Extreme caution is advised when using these cannisters.
    - Marines treated will not be attacked by the swarm for 10 seconds.
    - Firing a weapon will cancel the pheromones effect.
    - Autotargetting weapons may target treated marines.
    - Treated marines will blink green contineously.
    - Only medics can use this kit. Each special stat level adds 1 second of duration.

Cybernetic implant:
    These implants will permanently boost the lowest stat of your marine by 1 point. If you have multiple ' lowest stats' , it will pick one randomly.
    Last edited by -=V12US=-; 12th Jun 2004 at 06:22 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Instead of it being gone as soon as a player unequips it, wouldn't it be better to have it go into the loadout menu? With a "x1" or how many you may have of it.
    Bit silly to loose it cause you unequip it, besides players can trade items.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Builder
    Instead of it being gone as soon as a player unequips it, wouldn't it be better to have it go into the loadout menu? With a "x1" or how many you may have of it.
    Bit silly to loose it cause you unequip it, besides players can trade items.
    That would be cool. Sort of like the system they use in X-com.

Another idea would be implants that premanently improve one stat on your marine. Now that would be quite a find.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Those are great ideas for items (and surprisingly balanced). No new player should be without Pulserifle NToxin ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by -=V12US=-
    Another idea would be implants that premanently improve one stat on your marine. Now that would be quite a find.
    A bit like Deus Ex yes? Imagine the arguments when one is found though. You would get people running off to get items first.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Carth
    A bit like Deus Ex yes? Imagine the arguments when one is found though. You would get people running off to get items first.
    You could have it affect all the teammembers, however that might be a bit uber. Maybe just have the implant work for one single mission instead of having it be permanent, that way there would be less fighting over it.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Added a few things. Feel free to comment and add some of your own ideas.

An addition to the use of these items is that when a marine picks an item he can't use, it is instead added to the equipment list after the mission is succesfully completed, so other marines who can use it can take it.

The item in question will apear in the equipment window with a small number on it indicating how many of that item are left (just 1 in most of the cases).

Registered
    Jun 2004
    - Halves hacking time by 75%
    I couldn't resist pointing this out: how does it halve it by 75% It really must be advanced, defying the laws of mathematics :p

Repellant Pheromone
    Another nice idea, means the medic doesn't have to worry about his/her back when healing team-mates. There's nothing worse than being killed trying to heal someone, I'm sure we've all had this happen. I think so long as the medic stays behind autotargetting weapons that won't be a problem.

You could also use it as a kind of undercover thing, let's say a hacker goes into a room, hacks a computer, gets out and seals the door all the while the aliens are none the wiser. Maybe that would be too unbalanced...

Yeah, I like the idea of using Repellant Pheromones too. I think somebody already mentioned Pheromone grenades, which when thrown would temporarily attract a swarm of bugs to their position...the emphasis being on 'temporarily'. :p

On the other hand, even as a medic I always want to have some kind of gun - so they'd have to be very good indeed to persuade me to take them instead of the pistols, for example.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders
    they'd have to be very good indeed to persuade me to take them instead of the pistols
    Well no alien will attack you while it's active, is that good enough? It should be activated like a stim so basically you use it whenever you get attacked and the swarm (they are stupid, just look at them) instantly stop seeing you as a foe and walk off or attack someone else. Whichever slot it fills there would be room for 1 weapon so you can still rack up kills for experience.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I couldn't resist pointing this out: how does it halve it by 75% It really must be advanced, defying the laws of mathematics :p

Another nice idea, means the medic doesn't have to worry about his/her back when healing team-mates. There's nothing worse than being killed trying to heal someone, I'm sure we've all had this happen. I think so long as the medic stays behind autotargetting weapons that won't be a problem.
    Like med satchels, medics won't be able to use it on themselves though.

You could also use it as a kind of undercover thing, let's say a hacker goes into a room, hacks a computer, gets out and seals the door all the while the aliens are none the wiser. Maybe that would be too unbalanced...
    If he can do all that in 15 seconds tops, I tip my hat to that marine.

Maybe this item should be switched from utility slot to primary/secondary slot, like the med satchel?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Like med satchels, medics won't be able to use it on themselves though.
    Oh I see now. Well when exactly would you use it then. If it was in a battle, unless someone actually asks for it you risk them being shot by an autotargetting weapon because no one would know you were doing it.

Maybe this item should be switched from utility slot to primary/secondary slot, like the med satchel?
    Probably should if it is used on other marines, I'm not sure though. That would force a medic to use a pistol (no bad thing of course, but it restricts your choice).

Well no alien will attack you while it's active, is that good enough? It should be activated like a stim so basically you use it whenever you get attacked and the swarm (they are stupid, just look at them) instantly stop seeing you as a foe and walk off or attack someone else. Whichever slot it fills there would be room for 1 weapon so you can still rack up kills for experience.
    Yeah, I see what you mean - but you'd have only 3 charges, and I find I get attacked more than 3 times per mission.
    So yes it would be useful, but you'd still need to take a gun as well, whichever slot it gets placed in. Which would kind of limit it to skilled high-level medics, who are more likely to be able to support a team with only one med satchel.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing. I think it'd still be a good addition to the mod.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmm, two camps here. here's two versions of the Pheromone item, choose which one you'd like best (or add your own version perhaps?)

1. Utility item?
    - Anyone can use it.
    - 3 charges, each charge makes you invisible to aliens for 10 seconds
    - Autotargetting weapons can target and damage you (maybe even sentryguns? Heh...)
    - Goes to the utility slot

2. Primary/secondary item?
    - Only medics can use it.
    - 3 charges, same as above except you can't use it on yourself.
    - Duration is 10 + (1 * special skill level) seconds
    - Autotargetting weapons can target and damage you.
    - Goes to a primary/secondary slot.

Basically, 1. would be a 'save your ass in a tight situation' item, it wouldn't be totally foolproof, because if you're near dead and use it, someone who's trying to rescue you may well kill you with autotargetting. It would also be usefull to get past hard spots and grant you a small window to setup a decent defense incase you're about to get overrun.

2. would be rather limited since only medics can take them along, and with this and a med satchel, they're forced to take pistols (if this would be a util item, they can still take a weapon along, so maybe it would be better as a utility item here as well).

Currently I'm leaning towards 1.

"..force them to take pistols..."
    Dude, the pistols rock once you have the gunfighter medal.

I like the idea of this thing, but I think there should be a different downside:
    You can't run or it'll wear off. (activating it forces you into walk mode)
    Maybe something about Marine sweat covering the alien goop-smell?
    Demonen

use perl;

BlackCat

- Autotargetting weapons may target treated marines.
    would be good to use on hardcore difficulty though

-Aeawen

Thread Information