X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jerryku
    • Jun 2004

make an FPS version of Alien Swarm

Alien Swarm is the best co-op game I've ever played, and I've been a huge fan of co-op gaming since the days of Doom. It's also the best use of the Aliens movie theme in a game. That being said, I still think I would've preferred the game to be in the typical UT2K4 FPS viewpoint, instead of top-down action-arcade type style of play. THAT being said, I understand that map design and other elements (such as AI behavior) are much easier to handle under the current model.

Currently the game is really high quality stuff, and I hope the AS team can somehow get a retail deal and sell the game as a value title.. say for $15.

But I think if the team could make it into a full blown FPS-style game, you'd have such a great game that you could sell that version for $30.

So please consider releasing a version of the game that takes the game back to its FPS roots. It seems like the biggest hurdles in doing that would be to create more interesting AI, and appropriate map design. But besides that, you'd be good to go.
  • PratizUnreal
    • May 2004

bad idea, 1st fps version will make your head spin, 2nd, retail just don't seems to be a good idea
    Tip 1: use sentry as a stair case
    Tip 2: walk on active mines so when alien gets near you, they burn

Comment

• fluffy
      • May 2004

I think that FPS would completely ruin the point of AS. Don't get me wrong, I like FPS. But that would be an entirely different experience, not to be compared with this mod.

I also think the dev guys deserve getting well paid, but as long as they don’t own the engine licence they’ll have to stick with thanks and praises. And hopefully something from the MSU contest.

I don’t want to sound grumpy; I guess it’s just a matter of taste. And I like most kinds of games.

Leo aka fluffy

Comment

• DusKer
        Mapper
        • Jan 2004

Odd that you think a first person perspective suddenly makes a game better and more valuable. Perhaps we chose the top down view for a reason....
        Meow.

Comment

• Belgdor
          • Jun 2004

This is a really dumb idea just go play half life or something. And 2nd of all this would be illigal becuase it's a mod of UT2004 and therefor you can't sell it unless EPIC or whoever gave you permition which would involve giving them most of the profit or buy the liscience for a ton of cash.

Comment

• Alpha-Bravo
            • Jun 2004

I like it this way.
            Hope the developers could earn a reward for their mod.
            Or job in the industry.

Comment

• DeepQantas
              Tester
              • Jun 2002

Did Alien vs. Predator have co-op play?
              Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

• Belgdor
                • Jun 2004

No but a mod came out that let you play single player missions with other players. Hehe im still idicted to AVP2 and AVP2H. ARgh survivor mode kicks ass.

Comment

• DusKer
                  Mapper
                  • Jan 2004

Agreed, AVP2 survivor is teh roxxor
                  Meow.

Comment

• CleanoFF
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by jerryku
                    Alien Swarm is the best co-op game I've ever played, and I've been a huge fan of co-op gaming since the days of Doom. It's also the best use of the Aliens movie theme in a game.
                    I agree wholeheartedly - this game roXors !!!

Originally posted by jerryku
                    That being said, I still think I would've preferred the game to be in the typical UT2K4 FPS viewpoint, instead of top-down action-arcade type style of play.
                    Half the reason why i love Alien Swarm so much is because of this!! Alien Swarm first person just wouldnt be the same.
                    For me this game brings back fond memorys of an old game i played on the Commodore Amiga 500 called 'Alien Breed'.

I've been thinking about trying the editor out and making some AS levels based on AB. retro = cool
                    CLe@noFF

Hudson: Hey, Vasquez... Have you ever been mistaken for a man?
                    Vasquez: No. Have you?

Comment

• fluffy
                      • May 2004

It would be funny to try out vanilla UT in top down view though, probably very confusing. But the maps would never technically work that way, right? I think there’s at least one thread on this topic somewhere, so never mind if you're bored of it.

jerryku: Since you're in to FPS, check out stalker: http://www.stalker-game.com/
                      Some kind of FPS/RPG/survival game set in a 30 square kilometre world around Chernobyl.
                      Looks fantastic! Can’t wait to try it out, but I’m guessing it would take a NASA computer or something to do it any justice.

Comment

• jerryku
                        • Jun 2004

I never said FPS is better than top down, as if it were written in stone or anything. But yes, I personally prefer FPS gameplay. Yes of course it will be different! That's the point. Will it be more popular? Yes, I think so. FPS games make 100x more money than top down games do, it's likely that an FPS version of AS would go further than its top-down counterpart. Heck, the last top down game like Alien Swarm I played was done by the Bitmap Brothers... Chaos Engine or something, from the early 90's. Very cool game.

I only put the $ value onto the top down game because I think that's how buyers would react to AS.

Aliens vs Predator is exactly what I was trying to refer to, along with Aliens Online, a really crappy first person game released back on the old Gamestorm network. In Aliens Online, which uses almost identical interface layout, graphical presentation, font type/size, music, and very similar sounds.... you were in a small group of Marines. You could turn on cameras for each of your teammate's views. You slowly made your way toward the enemy hive. Meanwhile, alien players tried to slice you up.

Anyway, Aliens Online was a great concept but poorly executed. AVP never got a good co-op mode, although I never played any of the mods. What I'm trying to get at is that Aliens is a very popular movie amongst FPS gamers, and I'm sure people would love to see a truly great FPS co-op game that recreates the Aliens marines experience. Alien Swarm is the closest so far, and it's great. But I still think with a little more work, an alternate FPS Alien Swarm could be released that would open up a huge new fanbase.

And as far as selling the game goes... well if that ever happens, maybe look at this way..? Sell both the FPS and Top-down game in the same box..... FPS gamers will eat often eat up anything new on the market, as long as its half-way decent. And I'm confident the AS team could make a great FPS game if they tried. This will give you tons of money with which to dedicate more energy into the top-down game.

Comment

• DusKer
                          Mapper
                          • Jan 2004

An FPS version would be more different than you think. It would also require more changes than you think. In effect, it would be a completely different game. If we wanted to make that game, we would have made it instead, ne?

We didn't choose top down because it was 'easier' to do.
                          Meow.

Comment

• Angel-of-sIX
                            • Jun 2004

FPS would take 10 times more time to make maps just to get owned by the aliens because the game is too fast paced for fps...
                            Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching some singleplayer demorec on fps, but I prefer it the way it is...
                            This game is like 3PS Platformish very fast-paced and it's unique, that is what makes it's charm...I would play it if it was FPS, but it would be different and a lot more like NS/AvP

Comment

• Quitch
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Belgdor
                              No but a mod came out that let you play single player missions with other players. Hehe im still idicted to AVP2 and AVP2H. ARgh survivor mode kicks ass.
                              Is that AvP, AvP Gold or AvP 2? AvP needed coop, it was BEGGING for some real coop... oh man that would have been sweet.

AvP 2 was just crap.
                              "If a newbie isn't doing exactly what you want them too, you must be extra condescending and whiny over VoIP to get them to listen. The more nasaly angry you can make your tone the better, because it could make all the difference."

Comment

Working...
                              X