Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mapping Forum

Registered
    Jan 2003

Mapping Forum

Updated
    Well, I started with some really basic mapping info in a new post in this thread, I'll continue to compile useful information and links there for now...

Original Plea Follows...

I wanna talk mapping, but I don't want to sift through a page and a half of weapon suggestions every day...

So, how 'bout it?
    Last edited by BiG_D; 29th Jun 2004 at 06:33 PM. Reason: New link...

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, more and more people are asking about it now. Thievery and Nightblade have mapping forums, it's about time Alien Swarm did.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    ...and NightBlade isn't even out yet...

Registered
    Jun 2004
    i'm busy wracking my brain trying to find the map files. i really agree, there should be a mapping forum for Alien Swarm.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Would be useful, get a few stickies up with 'Locations of good AS textures/meshes' and so on, stick the releases there and so on.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    There's obviously a growing mapping community, haven't any mods seen this thread? A comment from one would be nice.

Registered
    Jan 2003

BlackCat

/me makes a *comment*, there do you like my comment.

That's up to Dalai and m0dEtW0 to make the forum, they probably will soon enough.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArts
    /me makes a *comment*, there do you like my comment.
    I do

I just wanted to hear that it might be done, which you said.

i creat maps and i like to talk to others mappers abt any idea and were stuff is how to something.

Map AO-cleansweep is in it alpha but i dont know how to post it????

Registered
    Jun 2004
    You don't post it... file attaching isn't enabled. You get a host, upload it and post the link. Maybe that can be one of the sticky threads in the upcoming mapping forum... places available to host maps.

Did you check this thread... which you in fact posted in...

http://forums.blackcatgames.com/showthread.php?t=4331

yeah cool found out over voice and post that it there. just after i posted it

Registered
    Jun 2004
    2 pics from my map(spaceship rescue, no name yet): corridor and canteen (pre beta ver 0.001 )
    here: www.cipo.uw.hu

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Those look nice Cipo, can't wait. For the name, what about AO-SpaceshipRescue

Registered
    Jun 2004
    thx
    hmmm "Ao-psaceshiprescue", it is worth considering!

Registered
    Jun 2004

Angry Ued/engine

Arrgghhh, I almost gave up mapping(big loss for the AS community ), beacause of a BSP hole(except that damn fly flying around here), am I lame or do you suffer from bspholes and editor crashes too ?!

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I suffer from chronic can't map syndrome... don't give up Cipo we don't want and "big losses" for the AS community.
    I think I can love you
    Let's facwe the future together

Quote Originally Posted by Cipo
    Arrgghhh, I almost gave up mapping(big loss for the AS community ), beacause of a BSP hole(except that damn fly flying around here), am I lame or do you suffer from bspholes and editor crashes too ?!
    Hey Cipo...I had a few BSP holes in my map too. Dis page roight hea page helped me out a whole helluva lot. Check it out, enjoy it, and get it all up in yo mug.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    thx guys! Now i just have to finish it!
    Renzatic: I read them in some tuts, sometimes they help, sometimes not.
    "While there is no one guaranteed solution there have been several that seem to help" from the page. Yesterday it didnot help, but after the 8364th rebuild/tweek it just cured itself...
    But after so much encouragement and support I cannot let down ht AS community!

Back to topic...
    I also think this Mapping Forum would be a great idea so shouldn't we PM the Admin of Moderator??
    Only problem here is: I don't know who's Admin or Moderator...
    When he sees the amount of threads about a Mapping Forum he can't resist, right?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    View Forum Leaders

No need to PM anyone tho, we know about this thread.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    * Pokes mOdEtWo *

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Wheres Dalai been hiding this weekend?
    Telic Corporation

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Wow, I didn't even know you could get BSP holes in the Unreal engine. I thought that was an exclusive horror of Quake-powered additive engines.
    Hey, what's that white dot on the circle-thingy meaGARRRGH!!!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Are you kidding? UED2 is basically a BSP hole generator...

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Well, I'm a) careful and b) not a heavy mapper. I didn't get that many leaks with Hammer and HL, either (in fact, I got more invalid brushes from vertex manipulation oversights, creating 'bent' faces).
    Hey, what's that white dot on the circle-thingy meaGARRRGH!!!

How hard is it to learn mapping for this mod? i did alright mapping in halflife so if its anything similair i should be able to at least dip my feet in.

Quote Originally Posted by {-o-} Monky
    How hard is it to learn mapping for this mod? i did alright mapping in halflife so if its anything similair i should be able to at least dip my feet in.
    I actually started mapping with Half-Life, though I really cut my teeth on Vampire (haha oh teh pun).

So in comparison to what you're used to Ued is quite a bit different. It works in reverse of the Worldcraft/Radiant variants, where you're basically using a little plunger to carve a level out of a solid mass instead of building inside of a giant empty space.

I used to hate Ued with a passion, but now that I'm used to it I actually prefer it over Radiant...there's just so much more to like. The only thing I do miss is being able to place and size brushes with the mouse directly...in fact I rarely ever change the size of the builder, I usually just place a block in there and vertex edit it down to the size I want.

If you're really interested in it, I recommend checking out the 3DBuzz tutorials.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic
    in fact I rarely ever change the size of the builder, I usually just place a block in there and vertex edit it down to the size I want.
    eeeeekz!

Doesn't that cause HORRID HORRID BSP HOLES?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic
    The only thing I do miss is being able to place and size brushes with the mouse directly...in fact I rarely ever change the size of the builder, I usually just place a block in there and vertex edit it down to the size I want.
    !!!
    Stop that, right now!
    When working with BSP always, ALWAYS! use the size changer for brushes, and ALWAYS use numbers in the powers of 2! Preferably numbers that match the size of your selected grid size.
    Otherwise you will end up with some horrible and nasty bsp holes, due to unregular sized brushes.

Also, if you stick to numbers in the power of 2, you blocks will always snap togheter nicely. You won't have blocks overlapping each other by 0.1356 uu's or something,

Registered
    Jan 2003
    16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048...

These numbers are your friends. I wouldn't recommend using any numbers that you can't make by adding any of these together...

Thread Information