Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rambo Challenge

Registered
    Jun 2004

Red face The Rambo Challenge

Gotta find new ways of having fun until new content is released. Here is the challenge: To complete all single missions "solo" on insane. Yes, some of them might seem impossible (Observation, Barracks) but surely someone will find a way to beat them. So far, all the single missions except Observation have been completed solo.
    -------------
    Rules:

1) You can use any exploits of the map.

2) You can take another char and suicide him at the very beginning of the mission to complete the map with your favourite class (works well for Research or Barracks). You can also atempt a mission from within a campaign, so as to have your character with full stars.

3) You need a demo. I won't take your word for it. Both demo styles are ok, and a screenshot of the debriefing would be nice.

--------------

- ReactorCore:
    Angel-of-sIX Top-Down view
    Snipr-of-sIX First Person/Free view Screenshot

- Rescue:
    SirRobin First Person/Free view Screenshot
    Angel-of-sIX First Person/Free view

- Salvage:
    Snipr-of-sIX First Person/Free view

- Research:
    Butters First Person/Free view

- Uplink:

- Barracks:
    Angel-of-sIX First Person/Free view

- Observation: (Open)

--------------
    Hint: Record the demo online to get top-down view.
    Hint: Left-click while watching a first person demo to get the free view, right click and use the mouse wheel to get nice third person views -- including top-down.
    Last edited by Butters; 9th Jul 2004 at 07:15 AM.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    angel's linkage just slaps up another page of this lol..
    !! A New Disease !!

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Ye, I don't know what he did with that link. Right click save target as works (at least from IE, not from mozilla).

Registered
    Jun 2004
    lol ok cheers i'll check em all out laters
    !! A New Disease !!

Registered
    Jun 2004
    and butters, i see you on IRC
    !! A New Disease !!

2) You can take a techie and suicide him at the very beginning of the mission to complete the map with your favourite class.
    No you can't. You still need hacking tool, and if you take hacking tool, you don't need to take tech.
    Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepQantas
    No you can't. You still need hacking tool, and if you take hacking tool, you don't need to take tech.
    Not quite, although I realize this may only work on Research: You need a tech to start the mission but you don't need to hack anything in order to complete it (Proof in demo).

You need hacker or hacking tool to start the mission. Proof in game.

Butters: I was waiting for someone to start a thread like this.
    It would be nice if you'd add the name / demo of ANYONE who has done the run. Maybe a little more work, but not too much: I don't think you'll have 20+ people making it through ReactorCore alone... Then again, it might get a little silly having my name up there 7 times, once for each level.
    "The greatest leader is he who is aggressive in meeting the needs of others."

"Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life."

Sniper: The sexxiest voice in gamming.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper007
    It would be nice if you'd add the name / demo of ANYONE who has done the run.
    Sure. Actually I had your run on Reactor in the original post, but my idea is to have only top-down demos, so I wanted to replace all the first person ones as top-down demos become available. I think I will stick to this, because first person demos are hardly enjoyable and make the game look very weird, but I will add all top-down demos to the list. So make the run again, recording top-down and i will add it

To record top-down, the following recipe seems to work: join a server and record online. It gives the handicap of a higher ping, but it is the only way I have managed to record top-down demos (found out today, after trying unsuccessfully to record top-down on my computer).

On a side note, I now think both Uplink and Observation are doable, but Barracks is going to be nearly impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters
    ... because first person demos are hardly enjoyable and make the game look very weird...
    I disagree. Did you realize that you can left click to switch the camera to FREE FLOATING during a first person demo? Using the free floating camera, you can get some AMAZING footage (good for recording movies). True, with the top-down you see how it was ACTUALY DONE from a game play perspective... But it's so... boring. I wish there was a way to have BOTH in ONE demo.
    "The greatest leader is he who is aggressive in meeting the needs of others."

"Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life."

Sniper: The sexxiest voice in gamming.

how do i make sure i dont record first person and record top down?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper007
    Did you realize that you can left click to switch the camera to FREE FLOATING during a first person demo?
    No, I hadn't. It looks much better now . Both demo styles seem to have their pros and cons, so I guess either of them can appeal to viewers (I still prefer top-down).

I will modify the original post to accept both now. It is a pity that the debriefing screen and ammo/health counters don't show up in first person, althought the heart beats give you some indication of the remaining health.

Quote Originally Posted by {-o-} Monky
    how do i make sure i dont record first person and record top down?
    Recording the demo online seems to do the trick. I.e. join an empty server, start the mission, type 'demorec Monkyleet'.

If you record offline, you can change the way you are looking at the person, from free floating to top view to first person. Online, you can only change the way the person is looking, but it is funny to see flame coming out someones rear...
    You spoony bard!

Uplink simply can't be done on insane with one person. They can't carry enough ammo. Even if you sprinted stright to him without firing a shot (somehow defending yourself from the onslaught while you take the radar dish), took dual flamers and a pistol, he doesn't die.

Don't believe me? 'marineinvun', and run there. No threats, and you can spend all your ammo into Big Guy.
    Grunt: How dangerous can parasites be?
    Grunt has been infested with a parasite!
    Grunt: Oh, I thought I could step on them.

actually 36 shells from an assault shotgun did him in on insane. i used your method though (since i know it is probably impossible- for me at least) of the invun thing.

a regular shotgun might also work (thats what i beat him with on easy, flamer/shotty combo with crash)

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters
    Recording the demo online seems to do the trick. I.e. join an empty server
    People always join and want to play.
    I think I can love you
    Let's facwe the future together

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carth
    People always join and want to play.
    Not on the pickup servers.

I'll do Salvage and Research and post about it...then I'll try barracks...

I hate first person demos so I record mine in top down view so for those of you who want to see them I just completed Salvage and Research...
    I also did core a few days ago...
    Well here is everything...all demos TOP-DOWN VIEW!
    Share the love

Reactor Core:
    SS: http://sixclan.cjb.net/reactoralone.jpg
    Demo: http://sixclan.cjb.net/alon5.zip

Research:
    SS: http://sixclan.cjb.net/researchalone.jpg
    Demo: http://sixclan.cjb.net/resangel.zip

Salvage:
    SS: http://sixclan.cjb.net/salvagealone.jpg
    Demo: http://sixclan.cjb.net/salangel.zip

Right click->Save as
    because I think the links wont work otherwise...
    Last edited by Angel-of-sIX; 25th Jun 2004 at 10:18 PM.

erm...

Uplink: impossible because of end boss
    Observation: can not carry enough stims to dodge all...with infinite stims im pretty sure its doable quite easily...
    Rescue: elevator part is impossible unless you find a map exploit for that part because you cant mine elevator because if you take explosives you need hacking tool
    Barracks: You need mines for first door if you are explosives but can not hack it so you need hacking tool or hacker but then no mines...

So I need to know:
    -Any ideas for a map exploit in the elevator on rescue?
    -Can you brute force open all the doors that need to be teched on barracks? Do you need the hacking objectives to be extracted and complete mission?

OK I just tested you CAN brute force all doors on barracks...however you need teching to be rescued so going with mines is impossible...that will be some fun running around for first door...
    Actually, I'm pretty positive barracks and uplink are impossible...
    Observation is doable with mad dodging and rescue if you can find a way to abuse the elevator part is doable...

Registered
    May 2004
    The elevator ride on Rescue you can sit ontop of the two crates. Oh nm you would still someone to hit the switch.
    "Small phones, short skirts and compact cars are all the rave these days; someday, the small penis will be in style and then YOU will be the man."

I am able to get on the crates but aliens still drop from the sky on you...
    maybe if you stay on the border?

I think those ones might need to be bumped down to hard or allowed 2 people for entry in the challenge. whichever is the most challengy but still possible.

I think you can do uplink with one person. you might switch it to carnage and let your flamer do the dirty work, although that certainly makes the aliens a lot harder to dodge (more of them). you could also try running east to avoid the spawns while the satellite dish pops up (save life). in uber though the boss is a lot easier since half the aliens are easy to dodge.

on insane i've only been able to get to the platform switch and back down succsesfully (pretty simple dodging). too many alien biatches to contend with on the way into the uplink room for my ability.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Nice demos Angel, original post updated. I specially liked your method of completing Research. Stun powah! Btw, your links still freak out mozilla and must be right clicked to save.. any chances of fixing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Evilreaver
    Uplink simply can't be done on insane with one person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-of-sIX
    Uplink: impossible because of end boss
    Just to prove you wrong I completed it . Screenie and demo on the first post. All it takes is a bit of patience, a bit of exploration and a lot of luck. Keep them coming people.

Next!

do barracks lol... that would be quite an accomplishment.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    It's generally agreed that Jaeger is the best to do the Rambo Challenge with, if only the fool could hack without a hack tool. I've come to the conclusion that Barracks is in fact impossible.

Anyway I tried Barracks with Crash, and there is no way he can hack. He gets overwhelmed from both sides too quickly and there's no room for dodging in the corridor, and that's only the first door. The closest I came was setting up a sentry on the right as I ran in (it's possible without getting hurt), but on insane the sentry does hardly anything.

So I tried with Jaeger (flamer, assault shottie and mines). Yeah, no hack tool, but if crash can't hack that door then Jaeger can't, and with Jaeger I got to the download/hacking room! Here's how I did it:

1. Run in from right, flame any immediate aliens and drop 2 mines along the way.
    2. Run to the left until a parsite attacks you, drop a mine, flame parasite, drop another mine. Immediately go to the door, use assault shotgun to blast it. Stand as close as possible and don't stop firing, not if a flaming alien appears and not when you reload; you are safe so long as you get the door open (it takes about 1 and a half clips).
    3. Run north, flame parasites and aliens. Stay in the big room for the killing and use the flamer while dodging (assault shottie is mainly for opening doors).
    4. When power is on kill the 2 eggs to the right and the aliens, then run north, launch 1 incendiary grenade north, 1 east, then flame the aliens while dropping 2 mines (making sure the mines aren't too close to the door - 2 mines is enough on insane but you need a good distance)
    5. Shoot the door quick again.

Now you're inside with 2 mines left and plenty of ammo (mines did all the killing) and I actually got here without a scratch - perfect), but one obvious problem. No tech marine

I conclude it's impossible. It was fun trying though

Oh, and for anyone trying, select a marine you don't want to use first, then the one you want to use second. Then when the game starts press Tab, and type suicide. You now have the marine you want on the right (the good side to start on)
    I think I can love you

Well I am impressed...
    I just thought of something...
    can we do the mission on campaign because a maxed crash would do it for barracks and observation?

crash tech lvl 5 with hacking tool is real fast hacking so barracks would be possible in this case...

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-of-sIX
    can we do the mission on campaign because a maxed crash would do it for barracks and observation?

crash tech lvl 5 with hacking tool is real fast hacking so barracks would be possible in this case...
    Butters suggested that on IRC, it's probably the only way to complete it so I'd say we can.
    I think I can love you

Thread Information